Matthew_198

Reputable
Dec 21, 2016
We're looking to build a home server to be used for, steam web cache, file server (local and internet) and ripping and hosting Blu-ray's.

The hardware we're thinking about at the moment is:
CPU: athlon 3000g
Ram: 24gb ddr4 Storage: 10600gb 15k sas + 120gb ssd
Motherboard: Asus b450m micro ATX am4
Raid card: adeptec asr-71605

I have a few questions...

Firstly, does that hardware list look suitable for what we need to do. Do we need a more powerful CPU?

Also I'm considering creating a virtual machine for the steam web cache to separate it from the file server. Is this a good idea?
Do I need to buy another network card for it?
How would that work with the Raid card?
Is there also any safe way to port forward so we can access the file server over the internet?

Sorry that there's so many questions.
I would appreciate any guidance and opinions
Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Do you currently have ANY home server? You are starting with SAS drives. Which is probably WAY overkill. Your gigabit network is the limiting factor. Even if you can get used SAS drives cheap, they tend to be smaller than what is available in SATA. You have 10TB of storage. Three 8TB SATA drives can provide that in RAID5 and 4 in RAID10. SAS also has the problem of finding suitable replacement drives for any future failures.

kanewolf

Titan
Do you currently have ANY home server? You are starting with SAS drives. Which is probably WAY overkill. Your gigabit network is the limiting factor. Even if you can get used SAS drives cheap, they tend to be smaller than what is available in SATA. You have 10TB of storage. Three 8TB SATA drives can provide that in RAID5 and 4 in RAID10. SAS also has the problem of finding suitable replacement drives for any future failures.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS