Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2021
Hello I need urgent assistance. I have a PC that I have built a year ago and since then has been working fine. Today I received a new Intel i7-4790K which this motherboard (ASUS H81M-Plus) does support. However, once I placed the new CPU in the motherboard the computer will not boot to BIOS at all. The PC powers on and the case fans, cpu fan and GPU (GTX 1060) as well but doesn’t go into BIOS. I have tried putting the previous CPU back, taking the CMOS out for 30 minutes, and even replacing a motherboard of the same model that hasn’t been used still doesn’t work. I have tried starting the PC with no RAM or using only 1 RAM slot and still ending with the same results. The only logical reason I can think of why this keeps persisting can be that my power supply which is 600 Watts is going bad. I did noticed while I was removing my RGB fan from Thermal-Lake to get to the CPU and I saw that the electrical wires had air bubbles showing. Obviously that is not good and replaced the fan. The monitor is brand new. Any suggestions? Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Solution
You've replaced the PSU - still no good.

You've tried 2 motherboards - still no good.

To me this points to the 4790k CPU being defective...and since even your old CPU wont work you're options are limited in troubleshooting your motherboard(s) and CPUs. There may also be damage to other components as well since you stated there was damaged wiring so that is a concern.

Sadly your best bet may be to simply start with a new motherboard and CPU. Fortunately there are some really good boards and powerful CPU's available today for a modest amount which will be a big step up over the 4790k. I'd look at either a Ryzen 5600x or 3600x and a good B550 board if I was building a new setup today but there are even cheaper yet still powerful CPUs if...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What processor were you working with prior to the swap? Also, since you're trying to work with a K suffix processor, what are you using to cool the processor on the motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Jun 2, 2021

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What processor were you working with prior to the swap? Also, since you're trying to work with a K suffix processor, what are you using to cool the processor on the motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard?
[/

Hello, my PSU is a EVGA (600 Watts). I was working with a Intel Celeron 2.80 GHz. I’m using cpu fan and case fans only to cool the cpu and the case. I’m not sure what the BIOS version is since I can’t get to it anymore. But like I mentioned, I have tried putting the old CPU back and still won’t boot to BIOS.

Jun 2, 2021
The motherboard likely needs a BIOS update to support the 4790k.

Are you sure the 4790k is a good chip and not broken ?

The CPU is used but I don’t see any physical damage or any damaged pins.
Hello, my PSU is a EVGA (600 Watts). I was working with a Intel Celeron 2.80 GHz. I’m using cpu fan and case fans only to cool the cpu and the case. I’m not sure what the BIOS version is since I can’t get to it anymore. But like I mentioned, I have tried putting the old CPU back and still won’t boot to BIOS.
Also my PSU is only 6 months old.

Jun 2, 2021
The CPU is used but I don’t see any physical damage or any damaged pins.

Also my PSU is only 6 months old.
Pins are in cpu socket (on motherboard). Probably some of them got bent.
Can you make a high res photo of the socket and post here?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

On 2 of the same motherboards? What are the odds? Also, yes I will upload a photo later today after my work day ends. Do you believe it can be the PSU?

Jun 2, 2021
you probably need a bios update (v. 2001) to run the new CPU - also since neither board boots with the old CPU it points to PSU failure
I installed a new PSU and the results is the same no POST appearing on the monitor. I purchased a PC Speaker so I can attempted to hear any known "Beeps" that the motherboard can produce. Any other suggestions? Perhaps a new motherboard and all other components lol..?

To me this points to the 4790k CPU being defective...and since even your old CPU wont work you're options are limited in troubleshooting your motherboard(s) and CPUs. There may also be damage to other components as well since you stated there was damaged wiring so that is a concern.

Sadly your best bet may be to simply start with a new motherboard and CPU. Fortunately there are some really good boards and powerful CPU's available today for a modest amount which will be a big step up over the 4790k. I'd look at either a Ryzen 5600x or 3600x and a good B550 board if I was building a new setup today but there are even cheaper yet still powerful CPUs if you're budget limited. The hardwareunboxed channel on Youtube has a lot of great videos on motherboard testing and which to avoid for both AMD and Intel systems.

Solution
Jun 2, 2021
We still haven't seen a photo of cpu socket on your board.

If there are bent pins and you can't fix them, then yes - new motherboard is required.

Hello again, I got my PC to work now. I had to user an old monitor with a VGA port. My graphics card NVIDA 1060 GTX is not functioning properly. Apparently, I'm unable to see it in the OS. I have already changed the BIOS settings to disable I-GPU and made PCI-E is activated. But still doesn't show the GPU. I have tried installing current drivers but I was unsuccessful since the O.S can't read the graphics card. Thank you for all of your help.

Jun 2, 2021

Sadly your best bet may be to simply start with a new motherboard and CPU. Fortunately there are some really good boards and powerful CPU's available today for a modest amount which will be a big step up over the 4790k. I'd look at either a Ryzen 5600x or 3600x and a good B550 board if I was building a new setup today but there are even cheaper yet still powerful CPUs if you're budget limited. The hardwareunboxed channel on Youtube has a lot of great videos on motherboard testing and which to avoid for both AMD and Intel systems.

Hello again, I got my PC to work now. I had to user an old monitor with a VGA port. My graphics card NVIDA 1060 GTX is not functioning properly. Apparently, I'm unable to see it in the OS. I have already changed the BIOS settings to disable I-GPU and made PCI-E is activated. But still doesn't show the GPU. I have tried installing current drivers but I was unsuccessful since the O.S can't read the graphics card. Thank you for all of your help.

Reactions: dorsai
Dec 10, 2023
Hi! I have a very very similar issue to yours, I tested everything even removing the videocard, I was not able to try VGA output yet only HDMI, when I start up my pc there is no beep nothing, but everything is very similar to your case with the only exception of the keyboard not lighting up, no matter which usb port I plug it into, did you have this on your machine too?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi! I have a very very similar issue to yours, I tested everything even removing the videocard, I was not able to try VGA output yet only HDMI, when I start up my pc there is no beep nothing, but everything is very similar to your case with the only exception of the keyboard not lighting up, no matter which usb port I plug it into, did you have this on your machine too?
2 years later....

Please create a NEW thread, for your particular situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.