Hackers Could Make a MacBook's Battery Explode

Status
Not open for further replies.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
In more recent news, hacker Charlie Miller has been found dead in a dark alley behind his home. Police believe it has something to do with him finding a flaw with Apple's design. Steve Jobs has been brought in for questioning.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
According to XKCD an overclocked notebook battery with a full charge has the same explosion energy as a hand grenade. The more you know.

G

HMM...I wonder if hp does something like this to kill batteries so they barely last a year.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
“You could put a whole hard drive in, reinstall the software, flash the BIOS, and every time it would reattack and screw you over.
You could buy over-priced Apple devices, wait a year and pay more for a cheap upgrade, and then every two years you are persuaded to buy newer over-priced Apple devices and every time screw you over.

Yup, that sounds like the Apple norm.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Gotta love how the title of the article makes it sound like Apple has no fault. Should read more like "Apple design flaw can cause batteries to explode". That's just poor engineering on Apple's part. But then again, it's par for the course.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Lol.

Try saying "It just works" in my face after your face has been blown off from fellating the keyboard and the virtual penis of steve. And in the case that you mistook the explosion as another "feature", I'll make facial contortions in the hope that you'll eventually realise (after all the euphoria of finding a new feature is gone and you're left with blinding pain) that what I can do with my face, you can't. If other parts of your body were blown off, then I will adjust my mocking accordingly.

DonnieK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Miller has done a great job. Exposing issues like this with products on the market makes the next generation that much stronger. Bravo.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Why yes... It's most definitely Apple's fault if a hacker illegally accesses a computer, changes stuff, and explodes/bricks your battery. Just like it's the gas stations fault if a thief drops a lit cigarette in my gas tank, or if a bank robber shoots me with a guards gun while I'm at the bank...

Gotta love the blind Apple hate.

yea hearing from the apple fanboys drinking the cool-aid is more entertaining :)

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]donniek[/nom]Miller has done a great job. Exposing issues like this with products on the market makes the next generation that much stronger. Bravo.[/citation]
+1
This article zeros in on Apple laptops, but Apple doesn't make the batteries in any of their laptops. The same batteries can be found in laptops from many vendors.
Here's hoping these experiments will influence the next generation of laptop batteries for Apple and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS