jjesco5

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hi,

For the Cooler Master HAF 912, is it necessary to add in extra fans? like 3 more 120mm fans for 2 top, 1 more bottom, and 1 side? or adding in two 200mm fans and moving the extra 120 to the side? what would work best? please keep in mind im trying to keep the fan budget under 15 bucks.

yanjustin98

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I'm not a professional on the inner workings of the internal components, such as the CPU, GPU, etc., and how they proportionally correspond to temperature, rate of temp. increase, etc.,. I think it would honestly depend on your internal parts. Since the front fan holes can support up to 2 x 120mm fans, I would recommend adding in the second fan in addition to the front. I hope the dBA (sound) should not be an issue because the airflow is routed to intake at the side, top, and front while the only exit location for the heated air is at the rear of the case. I would recommend fitting the 140mm fan on the side as it is slightly larger than the 120mm that the holes would also support.

However, I would first focus on adding the front fan and top fan (s) (can support 1 x 200mm, so that is what I would go for in terms of cost, 2 x 120mm would give slightly more wind coverage. I would recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052 which are a pack of 4 x 120mm fans that cost $14. This would cover your front fans, top fans, and you would also be able to install a side fan as well. Keep in mind that this will probably be ample airflow for your case, as it is a mid-tower, and I'm pretty sure that as long as you don't get a large, recent, gaming GPU you should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Justin Yan

jjesco5

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Ok, thanks, my setup is going to be:
i5 2500k (@stock or maybe a little higher)
Thermaltake CLP0600
8gb (2x4gb) corsair vengeace ddr3
EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked/EVGA GTX 550 (not sure which yet)
I think I may go for the 4 set of fans and then later on replace them with some leds and such.

yanjustin98

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Yeah that'll definitely be fine! The LED fans run quite a bit more expensive though at about $8 a single fan. As far as performance I'm pretty sure that you will be able to keep the temperature at optimal levels for a good number of hours. Good luck!