[SOLVED] Half of memory is hardware reserved. Sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2021
Hello everyone,
I have an annoying problem with my pc. About 4 months ago it freezed and after a restart I noticed that half of my memory is hardware reserved. I solved that problem accidentaly by updating chipset drivers. Then 2 days ago the same happened so I checked if there are newer drivers for my chipset but update didn't help at all. I've thought this is a hardware problem until today when after I turned on the pc I saw 15.9GB ram available. Then I rebooted it and again 8GB hardware reserved and after several reboots 15.9GB available.

My pc:
CPU: Ryzen 1600af
GPU: Nvidia 1660
RAM: 2xKingston 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz
PSU: Thermaltake 'something' 550w
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M ds3h, F50 bios
2x 3,5 inch HDD
1x sata SSD
Windows 10 64bit 20h2 (?)

When 8gb is hardware reserved (and like 'right' channel is not functioning properly then):
1111.png

xd.png

When ram is functioning normally:
2222.png

CPUZ always shows 2 sticks and 16GB so UEFI does.

Maybe someone has got an idea what's going on, maybe this is common issue with my mobo (BIOS) or Windows or something else. Does it look like software problem?

And sorry for my 'wooden' english.

EDIT: My pc just booted with ram in one of the 'bad' slots. So that confirm that the 'right' channel doesn't work only when half of ram is hardware reserved.

Last edited:
Solution
Also there is a few newet versions of bios for my board but they are made to support zen2 cpus, so do you think that if I update it I'll lose older ryzen support?
Motherboards don't lose support for older CPUs, as long as it was working on that board at some point, it will always work. The reason you need to update the bios when a new architecture comes about is that the motherboard manufacturer cant add support for an architecture that doesn't (officially) exist.
Apr 21, 2021
I've tried it 2 times and nothing happened (also I didn't noticed any dust or bent pins) but strange is that during half an hour and several reboots the problem disappears and appears when I litteraly didn't touch the pc.
Also there is a few newet versions of bios for my board but they are made to support zen2 cpus, so do you think that if I update it I'll lose older ryzen support?

syfari

Honorable
Aug 9, 2017
Motherboards don't lose support for older CPUs, as long as it was working on that board at some point, it will always work. The reason you need to update the bios when a new architecture comes about is that the motherboard manufacturer cant add support for an architecture that doesn't (officially) exist.

Solution

Stal00

Prominent
May 25, 2021
So I had the same problem, 8Gbs of my ram was going in hardware reserve suddenly after I booted my after a few months. A friend of mine told me to clean the contacts of ram with a pencil eraser because sometimes dust + humidity would stick to the contacts and because rams run at low voltage, a little resistance would be enough to disable the ram (hence the issue).
It worked for me, it's worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.