Question [Hang/Freeze/Crash] - Event ID 14 nvlddmkm, AMD+NVIDIA

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 25, 2021
Tried everything on this forum.
Today did a fresh windows 10 install with only a Chipset and a GPU drivers installed - 30 minutes later freeze/crash/unresponsive/stutter desktop.

I did it because of the previous post from Sasse:
In a linked thread I read sth. about ASUS Armory Crate and LED Setup causing the problem.
So I deactivated all the LED features and AURA Sync in the tool and there are no more black screens when opening / closing EVGA Precision X1.
Since I had it installed... I can tell you that it's not the AURA issue, nor ASUS Armory Crate.

My mind just got bananas

Same Event 14 for nVidia driver.

I did some research for a tool that installs nVidia drivers differently. More precisely, to select which components are to be installed.
By default EVERYTHING is installed, from wich 80% you never need or use.

Found this 'simple' app for a job:

Only selected Driver and PhysX, and then Install.
Before the install - DDU to uninstall previous drivers.

I am still testing this possibility (only 10 hours since last stutter event).

The thing most noticeable from the Task Manager is the number of nVidia services/processes running!

So far I am convinced that some of the installed containers from nVidia does not handle the multi-threaded operations as it should. They just say it's AMD job to solve the issue.

At the end of the next week will post an update: if it worked or not.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Tried everything on this forum.
Today did a fresh windows 10 install with only a Chipset and a GPU drivers installed - 30 minutes later freeze/crash/unresponsive/stutter desktop.

I did it because of the previous post from Sasse:
Since I had it installed... I can tell you that it's not the AURA issue, nor ASUS Armory Crate.

My mind just got bananas

Same Event 14 for nVidia driver.

I did some research for a tool that installs nVidia drivers differently. More precisely, to select which components are to be installed.
By default EVERYTHING is installed, from wich 80% you never need or use.

Found this 'simple' app for a job:

Only selected Driver and PhysX, and then Install.
Before the install - DDU to uninstall previous drivers.

I am still testing this possibility (only 10 hours since last stutter event).

The thing most noticeable from the Task Manager is the number of nVidia services/processes running!

So far I am convinced that some of the installed containers from nVidia does not handle the multi-threaded operations as it should. They just say it's AMD job to solve the issue.

At the end of the next week will post an update: if it worked or not.

Cheers!
Cool, awaiting your update.

May 2, 2021
I'm having the same issue. Ryzen 5950x with msi GeForce RTX 3090 gaming x trio GPU. I've tried the majority of these fixes and still nothing. For me, this issue happens under load or not under load. It's been happening every 10 or so minutes since I got it 2 days ago. As far as I can tell, its not ram or psu issues. GPU and CPU seem fine. I think it really is just the driver. I think I'm going to try DDU with the Nvclean install thing. It also might have something to do with programs that use hardware acceleration. Using icue, chrome, or any game (after a little bit with games) can replicate this issue. I have to power it off and hold the power button to drain the charge in order to be able to boot up again. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Super bummed that I just spent a fortune on this build and cannot even begin to use it.

EDIT: swapped PSU, no luck. Performed driver install with NVClean and used DDU to wipe previous drivers. tried removing m.2 drive and booting from previous ssd. Not sure what to do now.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021
I'm having the same issue. Ryzen 5950x with msi GeForce RTX 3090 gaming x trio GPU. I've tried the majority of these fixes and still nothing. For me, this issue happens under load or not under load. It's been happening every 10 or so minutes since I got it 2 days ago. As far as I can tell, its not ram or psu issues. GPU and CPU seem fine. I think it really is just the driver. I think I'm going to try DDU with the Nvclean install thing. It also might have something to do with programs that use hardware acceleration. Using icue, chrome, or any game (after a little bit with games) can replicate this issue. I have to power it off and hold the power button to drain the charge in order to be able to boot up again. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Super bummed that I just spent a fortune on this build and cannot even begin to use it.

EDIT: swapped PSU, no luck. Performed driver install with NVClean and used DDU to wipe previous drivers. tried removing m.2 drive and booting from previous ssd. Not sure what to do now.
I have a similar setup. I'm running wsl2 and had enabled Hyper-V core scheduler. Switching back to hyper-v's classic scheduler fixed my issue. <Mod Edit>weird eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2021
Had no crashes since post #226 (see above). For sake will install nVidia drivers "standard" way and see the results.
Will post an update till the end of the week.

Apr 25, 2021
Update
Yes, with standard driver installation, crashes randomly. In about 24h had 4 crashes/stutters.

Now I'm facing this issue even with my previous method... Touché.

I believe there is a way, I will try my theory and let you know after with another update.

Reactions: jjammin
May 2, 2021
Update for me:
I just RMA'd my card. Replacement works flawlessly. I think my old one had bad capacitors, it was semi-stable for a couple hours if I under clocked mem and core by 500 mhz, set power to 50%, and set fans at 100%. Replacement might even be able to be overclocked. I think this issue is a pretty generic issue so there are many possible causes. I hope you all figure yours out!

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Update for me:
I just RMA'd my card. Replacement works flawlessly. I think my old one had bad capacitors, it was semi-stable for a couple hours if I under clocked mem and core by 500 mhz, set power to 50%, and set fans at 100%. Replacement might even be able to be overclocked. I think this issue is a pretty generic issue so there are many possible causes. I hope you all figure yours out!
Glad you got it sorted, your issue was different from ours, you best bet was always rmaing the card, glad you got it sorted. Have fun.

tomsliwowski

Prominent
May 13, 2020
It just started for me again a week or two ago. Shortly after updating my Windows 10 install to 21H1. Wondering if a change in this new version did something.

tomsliwowski

Prominent
May 13, 2020
Not sure really, how and when did it stop happening for you? were you on prefer maximum perf?
It stopped when Asus released a BIOS update for my motherboard that contained AGESA 1.0.0.6 . There have been several BIOS updates since then, the latest was in March which brought AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1.

I had my first Error 14 re-occurance on 5/27 about a week after I installed 21H1 and the 2nd time it happened was yesterday. In between the two errors I did install the latest AMD chipset drivers to see if they did anything.

My nVidia power settings were on Optimal Power.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
It stopped when Asus released a BIOS update for my motherboard that contained AGESA 1.0.0.6 . There have been several BIOS updates since then, the latest was in March which brought AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1.

I had my first Error 14 re-occurance on 5/27 about a week after I installed 21H1 and the 2nd time it happened was yesterday. In between the two errors I did install the latest AMD chipset drivers to see if they did anything.

My nVidia power settings were on Optimal Power.
I am on the same Windows version myself, but I've had the nvidia perf set to prefer max since last may. I am on one of the latest BIOSs as well but never tried to change the power mode to test it.

Jun 12, 2021
Update
Yes, with standard driver installation, crashes randomly. In about 24h had 4 crashes/stutters.

Now I'm facing this issue even with my previous method... Touché.

I believe there is a way, I will try my theory and let you know after with another update.
Did you find a fix? Can you give us an update? I got a r5 3600x with 2070 super and I'm starting to mald from this issue.

Bubblebob

Honorable
Dec 1, 2015
Has any of you tried disabling C-states (especially C6) in BIOS?

I also have this problem since I got my 3090FE back in january. The rest of my system consists of a Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme and a Threadripper 3960X. So yes, also the big AMD platform has this nasty problem too.

First I tried only disabling C6 for the package (BIOS option: Tweaker > Advanced CPU Settings > Power Supply Idle Control: Typical Current Idle disables package C6), but that only fixed my USB issues, not the black screen Nvidia BS.

Now I've disabled C6 globally (package and cores) and up until now it seems to work. I'll report later if it happens again.

Although this isn't a real solution (+30-40W additional power draw in Windows idle isn't exactly what i call a solution), it can work as a workaround until Nvidia got its things together.

Apr 25, 2021
Did you find a fix? Can you give us an update? I got a r5 3600x with 2070 super and I'm starting to mald from this issue.
Hello again,

Long time for an update... so let's see what I've done so far and what I've found/speculate.

[what I've done so far]
  • Changed GPU thermal paste.
  • New thermal pad on VRM.
  • Full PCB & fan casing cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.
[results]
  • Random crash.
  • Sometimes after reboot does not "crash" for long period of time (2-3 weeks). (WHY!?)
  • Most of the time, after a "crash", random (time) "crash": could be a day or a week.
[when it happens]
Ok, this one is a pure speculation (from simply observing when it happens, in what circumstances).

With MSI Afterburn, on second screen, I've notice that, for some reason, GPU changes from High/Low to Low/High 'profile' and then goes back to previous state. Really fast - a spike in power draw up/down.
Odd, because it's in GPU power limit.
And on some of these spikes (to upper levels), driver simply crashes.

Well, I've added second GPU and tested same scenario, but didn't put any load on 'buggy' GPU. And... no crashes.
After switching to 'faulty' GPU (connecting main monitor to it) even watching YouTube it sometimes goes bananas.

I believe - pure speculation - that there is some faulty component on the PCB that can't handle some 'special' load.
OR, MB chipset HW level issues?!

Why? Because when I limit GPU voltage to lower values, it does not 'crash' (!) (Lower V = lower power draw)

Could it be MB PCIe voltage/power issue?! Well, it could, in theory. Because GPU is powered by PCI and (!) power supply simultaneously.

[conclusions]
With lower GPU voltages had no crashes so far.
What it cost to me?! Well... -25% performance... Basically, it's my 'low powered' GPU for a normal day use.

Aug 4, 2021
Hey Guys,

Just made an account to post this so you can try this solution.

I swapped my Intel for Ryzen 5800x. Had no problems regarding this error for at least a few weeks. I was fiddling around in some settings trying to reduce some stutter issues. And suddenly I get this event ID 14 nvlddmkm error all the time. So, i'm pretty much sure this is a driver setting and has nothing to do with hardware failure. I undo my changed settings and the error was gone. So it definitely is a software error somewhere.

For testing purposes I did a complete reinstall of win 10, only installed the things I really needed and what do you know, same error again... With a complete fresh win10 install with newest drivers, updates etc. I changed the setting in nvidia control panel back to the settings on my other win10 install and haven't seen the error yet. Although it's only been 2 hours or so. Before I could not even complete 1 game. Seems to be working now.

As this error is related to AMD and Nvidia cards there must some something that is messing up this combination. It happens to be that there is actually an CPU threaded option in Nvidia control panel "Threaded optimization". I have no clue why this is in the NVCP since the setting determines that application can make use of multiple CPU cores. This setting is default set to auto. If I turn this off, the event 14 is gone. I did remember when this error started on my other Win10 install I turned this setting to "on" . If you have this problem, please try turning the setting "Threaded optimization" to off in NVCP.

Apr 25, 2021
Hey Guys,

Just made an account to post this so you can try this solution.

I swapped my Intel for Ryzen 5800x. Had no problems regarding this error for at least a few weeks. I was fiddling around in some settings trying to reduce some stutter issues. And suddenly I get this event ID 14 nvlddmkm error all the time. So, i'm pretty much sure this is a driver setting and has nothing to do with hardware failure. I undo my changed settings and the error was gone. So it definitely is a software error somewhere.

For testing purposes I did a complete reinstall of win 10, only installed the things I really needed and what do you know, same error again... With a complete fresh win10 install with newest drivers, updates etc. I changed the setting in nvidia control panel back to the settings on my other win10 install and haven't seen the error yet. Although it's only been 2 hours or so. Before I could not even complete 1 game. Seems to be working now.

As this error is related to AMD and Nvidia cards there must some something that is messing up this combination. It happens to be that there is actually an CPU threaded option in Nvidia control panel "Threaded optimization". I have no clue why this is in the NVCP since the setting determines that application can make use of multiple CPU cores. This setting is default set to auto. If I turn this off, the event 14 is gone. I did remember when this error started on my other Win10 install I turned this setting to "on" . If you have this problem, please try turning the setting "Threaded optimization" to off in NVCP.
Wil test it right now. Thank you for your feedback.

ASK THE COMMUNITY