Question [Hang/Freeze/Crash] - Event ID 14 nvlddmkm, AMD+NVIDIA

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020
This thread is for if your issue occurs sporadically and randomly (from once every week(s) to once every month(s)). If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue.

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE QUESTIONS, A FIX OR RELEVANT ADDITIONAL INFO as this will otherwise flood the thread is it did with the previous one. Use the poll instead to add your +1.

Introduction:
This has been a long going thread from Reddit which I was the owner of.
The thread is almost 6 months old, meaning it will most likely archive and I am getting notifications from other people having the issue almost every other day. I decided to compile (300+ comments) the info from that thread and post it here.

Issue Description:
As stated above, this issue occurs sporadically: you can be gaming, editing, or watching a Youtube video, it doesn’t seem to have correlation. On average it will happen once every 3 weeks for me.
When the error occurs, the computer will begin to stutter, your inputs will be extremely jerky/delayed and sometimes the screen will go black with only the cursor displaying. This makes it impossible to use the computer while it occurs.
The issue will sometimes resolve itself (can take from 1 to 15 minutes) and sometimes last too long for it to be worth waiting, meaning I will manually crash my computer.

There seems to be a correlation between having a NVIDIA GPU and an AMD Ryzen CPU, however, (very) few have described the issue happening on a different configuration.

Last time I had the issue: [2020-03-07]
(YYYY,MM,DD).

Event Viewer Error:
Event ID 14 - nvlddmkm
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video3
0cec(3098) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Contacts:
Others and I have attempted contacting both AMD & NVIDIA here is each of their answers (broadly):
AMD: Ensure that you have updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard and are using stock settings. They think it's mostly an issue related to the graphic's card. It should be on NVIDIA's side to fix this. It could also be related to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2665946/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows-7 (which is related to windows 10 as well).
NVIDIA (info from Reddit user u/faildude7): “[...] I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multi-threading in Ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes.” + “he told me that and it's pretty bad since this error seems like it's 6 years old at least so I don't see them fixing it any time soon, this just was more popular with the RTX series since he told me that it's more common with these graphics but if you search info you can see people complaining for years.”

Fixes
This is a list of attempted and not attempted fixes mentioned by some users from the thread mentioned above. The problem with this issue is also not knowing when the issue will happen. Someone can declare a fix but we don't truly know about whether it works or not after a few months of waiting (as the issue occurs so sporadically). Running generic stress tests will also not make the issue occur.

Attempted Fixes:
  1. RMA (Replace) with the same GPU model. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  2. Update drivers. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  3. Use stock settings. This does not fix the issue. (from AMD)
  4. Disabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (from u/3feetHair)
  5. Enabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  6. Setting your Power Plan to AMD’s “High Performance” (from u/Injuis)
  7. Setting Memory Frequency to the correct frequency through BIOS (from u/NovalAcanthocephala6)
  8. Change your GPU power mode to “Maximum Performance”. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power Management mode. Many users have mentioned this working (from u/eatwritelaugh) [fix personally attempted on 2020/04/16]
  9. DDUd and reinstall drivers. This does not fix the issue. (from u/Aravind92)
Potential Fixes:
  1. Update BIOS for Chipset & Motherboard. (This has been attempted by some and didn’t fix the issue, however it could still be a potential fix in the future.)
  2. Reset Windows Power Options (from u/Aravind92)
  3. Disable HW Acceleration in Firefox (from u/Aravind92)
  4. RMA (replacing) with a different PSU. This has apparently fixed the issue for one user, however the user had an intel CPU. (from u/Speedfreakz)
  5. Replacing every component in your computer seems to work (which admittedly is not a fix).
  6. Set your RAM to “Power Down Enabled/mode” to disable and “Gear Down Mode” enabled. (from u/Gigakv)
Other Info compiled from user comments on the previous thread:
  • u/sprousaTM has mentioned this only occurring when the PC is idle.
  • u/ponybeu5 has mentioned changing from a 1080 Strix to a 2080 Super EVGA and then starting getting the issue (with AMD 3900X).
  • u/RafaMarioFan has said the following: Started with this setup: GT1030+ used A320+ ryzen3600 + 500W psu (that doesn't have 80plus), changed to a Galax 1660 and started having the error. Replaced PSU for a Corssair CX 550 (80p bronze) which didn’t fix the error. Went back to the GT1030. Bought a RTX 2060S which caused the issue again. Then changed from A320 to a B450 which didn’t fix the issue.
  • A few users have mentioned the issue only occurring a few months after having their PC built. (I personally don’t remember)
  • u/Civil_Specter has mentioned a fix, however it seems like their issue was occurring consistently when gaming, which is different from what a majority of people are getting and most likely a different issue:
    • Use AMD Ryzen Master to disable SMT (Simultaneous Multi threading)
    • Downloaded a program called Project Lasso to improve gaming performance.
    • Used EVGA Precision X1 software to make a custom GPU profile with “Boost Lock” enabled. Which keeps your GPU from idle.
  • u/Gigakv has provided the following info: Can confirm it's still an issue with Ryzen 3000 + Turing
    • Ryzen 2600 + RTX 2060 - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + GTX 1070 TI - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + RTX 2060 that worked fine with the Ryzen 2600 - GPU crashing when using hardware acceleration \ idle. No issues during gaming or stress testing.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with hardware acceleration.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with the GPU switching from idle to performance mode.
  • u/MBDdk mentioned that the issue might’ve been fixed in the AMD driver update 20-2-2: “Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.”
My Full Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4-3200 [16GB x 4]
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W80
Case: NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5” 7200 RPM

List of a portion of reported setups with the issue from the reddit thread:
  • u/faildude7: Ryzen 9 3950X + RTX 2080Ti + G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz + Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro
  • u/rimokonman: Ryzen 3700X + NVIDIA 2070S
  • u/eatwritelaugh: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2070 Super + Adata 3200mhz 8x2 + MSI B450 Carbon
  • u/sprousaTM: Ryzen 3800X + RTX 2080 + 16GB Trident RAM + 1200watt corsair power supply (+custom watercooling)
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x + MSI Tomohawk B450 Max + gtx 1660 ti + Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz + cm mwe v2 550w + Acer VG240YP.
  • u/QueBugCheckEx: Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti
  • u/PentaChicken: Ryzen 5 3600X and RTX 2070 Super
  • u/Skastrike09: Ryzen 3600 + NVidia 2060
  • u/iksargodzilla: ryzen 3700x + rtx 2060 super + tuf gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard + 2x8gb ram
  • u/OOO639: 3700x and a 2080 super
  • u/clockwork000: 3900X + 2070S
  • u/ Dyeneks: RTX 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 3700X
  • u/TheChozoKnight: RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 3700X + Asus X570F Mobo
  • u/impmallet: 2080ti + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 Aurus Elite
  • u/fluidzreddit: Msi trio 2080ti @ stock + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 master (f11 bios). Ram - Crucial ballistix sport 3200 cas 16 @ xmp
  • u/kaimenlau: Ryzen 3950x + rtx 2080 ti
  • u/NovelAcanthocephala6: 3950x + 2080 super
  • u/MBDdk: Ryzen 5 3600 + NVIDIA RTX 1660S
  • u/Speedfreakz: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 1 + Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (TU104-450) @ 300 MHz + Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TBCougar STX 750 power supply.+ 2x 16gb HyperX Predator Rgb memory
  • u/yanboz: 3950X + 2080Ti
  • u/Tounushi: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Dual Evo OC + Asus Prime x370-Pro mobo (BIOS v.4801) + 750W power source + AMD R7 3700X + 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (running 2400) + M.2 SSD OS drive + SSD and HDD gaming and storage drives, respectively
  • u/Skastrike09: RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, and X570 AORUS ELITE
  • u/Oren1: Ryzen 5 3600 + Rtx 2060 super
  • u/rickgolds: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 + RAM Trident Z with Samsung B-Die
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomohawk B450 Max, gtx 1660 ti, Corsair Vengence LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz, cm mwe v2 550w, Acer VG240YP.
  • u/MrSheep_: 1660ti + Ryzen 5 3600.
  • u/KM1k92: R9 3900x + RTX 2060 SUPER
  • u/Sanastro: i9 9900k + Zotac 2080ti
  • u/Flush535: 3700X + 2070S
  • u/3feetHair: Ryzen 2700 + GTX 1660
  • u/Sp0KI: 3700x + x470 + 2070
  • u/ThatOneCrazyFriend: 3900X + 2070 Super
  • u/calscks: 3900X + RTX 2080
  • u/hop-limit: 3800x + rtx 2070s
  • And many others…
Reddit thread: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

Apr 25, 2021
Tried everything on this forum.
Today did a fresh windows 10 install with only a Chipset and a GPU drivers installed - 30 minutes later freeze/crash/unresponsive/stutter desktop.

I did it because of the previous post from Sasse:
In a linked thread I read sth. about ASUS Armory Crate and LED Setup causing the problem.
So I deactivated all the LED features and AURA Sync in the tool and there are no more black screens when opening / closing EVGA Precision X1.
Since I had it installed... I can tell you that it's not the AURA issue, nor ASUS Armory Crate.

My mind just got bananas

Same Event 14 for nVidia driver.

I did some research for a tool that installs nVidia drivers differently. More precisely, to select which components are to be installed.
By default EVERYTHING is installed, from wich 80% you never need or use.

Found this 'simple' app for a job:

Only selected Driver and PhysX, and then Install.
Before the install - DDU to uninstall previous drivers.

I am still testing this possibility (only 10 hours since last stutter event).

The thing most noticeable from the Task Manager is the number of nVidia services/processes running!

Untitled.png

So far I am convinced that some of the installed containers from nVidia does not handle the multi-threaded operations as it should. They just say it's AMD job to solve the issue.

At the end of the next week will post an update: if it worked or not.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Tried everything on this forum.
Today did a fresh windows 10 install with only a Chipset and a GPU drivers installed - 30 minutes later freeze/crash/unresponsive/stutter desktop.

I did it because of the previous post from Sasse:
Since I had it installed... I can tell you that it's not the AURA issue, nor ASUS Armory Crate.

My mind just got bananas

Same Event 14 for nVidia driver.

I did some research for a tool that installs nVidia drivers differently. More precisely, to select which components are to be installed.
By default EVERYTHING is installed, from wich 80% you never need or use.

Found this 'simple' app for a job:

Only selected Driver and PhysX, and then Install.
Before the install - DDU to uninstall previous drivers.

I am still testing this possibility (only 10 hours since last stutter event).

The thing most noticeable from the Task Manager is the number of nVidia services/processes running!

Untitled.png

So far I am convinced that some of the installed containers from nVidia does not handle the multi-threaded operations as it should. They just say it's AMD job to solve the issue.

At the end of the next week will post an update: if it worked or not.

Cheers!

Cool, awaiting your update.

May 2, 2021
I'm having the same issue. Ryzen 5950x with msi GeForce RTX 3090 gaming x trio GPU. I've tried the majority of these fixes and still nothing. For me, this issue happens under load or not under load. It's been happening every 10 or so minutes since I got it 2 days ago. As far as I can tell, its not ram or psu issues. GPU and CPU seem fine. I think it really is just the driver. I think I'm going to try DDU with the Nvclean install thing. It also might have something to do with programs that use hardware acceleration. Using icue, chrome, or any game (after a little bit with games) can replicate this issue. I have to power it off and hold the power button to drain the charge in order to be able to boot up again. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Super bummed that I just spent a fortune on this build and cannot even begin to use it.

EDIT: swapped PSU, no luck. Performed driver install with NVClean and used DDU to wipe previous drivers. tried removing m.2 drive and booting from previous ssd. Not sure what to do now.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021
I'm having the same issue. Ryzen 5950x with msi GeForce RTX 3090 gaming x trio GPU. I've tried the majority of these fixes and still nothing. For me, this issue happens under load or not under load. It's been happening every 10 or so minutes since I got it 2 days ago. As far as I can tell, its not ram or psu issues. GPU and CPU seem fine. I think it really is just the driver. I think I'm going to try DDU with the Nvclean install thing. It also might have something to do with programs that use hardware acceleration. Using icue, chrome, or any game (after a little bit with games) can replicate this issue. I have to power it off and hold the power button to drain the charge in order to be able to boot up again. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Super bummed that I just spent a fortune on this build and cannot even begin to use it.

EDIT: swapped PSU, no luck. Performed driver install with NVClean and used DDU to wipe previous drivers. tried removing m.2 drive and booting from previous ssd. Not sure what to do now.
I have a similar setup. I'm running wsl2 and had enabled Hyper-V core scheduler. Switching back to hyper-v's classic scheduler fixed my issue. <Mod Edit>weird eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2021
Update
Yes, with standard driver installation, crashes randomly. In about 24h had 4 crashes/stutters.

Now I'm facing this issue even with my previous method... Touché.

I believe there is a way, I will try my theory and let you know after with another update.

Reactions: jjammin
May 2, 2021
Update for me:
I just RMA'd my card. Replacement works flawlessly. I think my old one had bad capacitors, it was semi-stable for a couple hours if I under clocked mem and core by 500 mhz, set power to 50%, and set fans at 100%. Replacement might even be able to be overclocked. I think this issue is a pretty generic issue so there are many possible causes. I hope you all figure yours out!

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Update for me:
I just RMA'd my card. Replacement works flawlessly. I think my old one had bad capacitors, it was semi-stable for a couple hours if I under clocked mem and core by 500 mhz, set power to 50%, and set fans at 100%. Replacement might even be able to be overclocked. I think this issue is a pretty generic issue so there are many possible causes. I hope you all figure yours out!

Glad you got it sorted, your issue was different from ours, you best bet was always rmaing the card, glad you got it sorted. Have fun.

tomsliwowski

Prominent
May 13, 2020
Not sure really, how and when did it stop happening for you? were you on prefer maximum perf?

It stopped when Asus released a BIOS update for my motherboard that contained AGESA 1.0.0.6 . There have been several BIOS updates since then, the latest was in March which brought AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1.

I had my first Error 14 re-occurance on 5/27 about a week after I installed 21H1 and the 2nd time it happened was yesterday. In between the two errors I did install the latest AMD chipset drivers to see if they did anything.

My nVidia power settings were on Optimal Power.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
It stopped when Asus released a BIOS update for my motherboard that contained AGESA 1.0.0.6 . There have been several BIOS updates since then, the latest was in March which brought AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1.

I had my first Error 14 re-occurance on 5/27 about a week after I installed 21H1 and the 2nd time it happened was yesterday. In between the two errors I did install the latest AMD chipset drivers to see if they did anything.

My nVidia power settings were on Optimal Power.
I am on the same Windows version myself, but I've had the nvidia perf set to prefer max since last may. I am on one of the latest BIOSs as well but never tried to change the power mode to test it.

Jun 12, 2021
Update
Yes, with standard driver installation, crashes randomly. In about 24h had 4 crashes/stutters.

Now I'm facing this issue even with my previous method... Touché.

I believe there is a way, I will try my theory and let you know after with another update.

Did you find a fix? Can you give us an update? I got a r5 3600x with 2070 super and I'm starting to mald from this issue.

Bubblebob

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
Has any of you tried disabling C-states (especially C6) in BIOS?

I also have this problem since I got my 3090FE back in january. The rest of my system consists of a Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme and a Threadripper 3960X. So yes, also the big AMD platform has this nasty problem too.

First I tried only disabling C6 for the package (BIOS option: Tweaker > Advanced CPU Settings > Power Supply Idle Control: Typical Current Idle disables package C6), but that only fixed my USB issues, not the black screen Nvidia BS.

Now I've disabled C6 globally (package and cores) and up until now it seems to work. I'll report later if it happens again.

Although this isn't a real solution (+30-40W additional power draw in Windows idle isn't exactly what i call a solution), it can work as a workaround until Nvidia got its things together.

Apr 25, 2021
Did you find a fix? Can you give us an update? I got a r5 3600x with 2070 super and I'm starting to mald from this issue.
Hello again,

Long time for an update... so let's see what I've done so far and what I've found/speculate.

[what I've done so far]
  • Changed GPU thermal paste.
  • New thermal pad on VRM.
  • Full PCB & fan casing cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.
[results]
  • Random crash.
  • Sometimes after reboot does not "crash" for long period of time (2-3 weeks). (WHY!?)
  • Most of the time, after a "crash", random (time) "crash": could be a day or a week.
[when it happens]
Ok, this one is a pure speculation (from simply observing when it happens, in what circumstances).

With MSI Afterburn, on second screen, I've notice that, for some reason, GPU changes from High/Low to Low/High 'profile' and then goes back to previous state. Really fast - a spike in power draw up/down.
Odd, because it's in GPU power limit.
And on some of these spikes (to upper levels), driver simply crashes.

Well, I've added second GPU and tested same scenario, but didn't put any load on 'buggy' GPU. And... no crashes.
After switching to 'faulty' GPU (connecting main monitor to it) even watching YouTube it sometimes goes bananas.

I believe - pure speculation - that there is some faulty component on the PCB that can't handle some 'special' load.
OR, MB chipset HW level issues?!

Why? Because when I limit GPU voltage to lower values, it does not 'crash' (!) (Lower V = lower power draw)

Could it be MB PCIe voltage/power issue?! Well, it could, in theory. Because GPU is powered by PCI and (!) power supply simultaneously.

[conclusions]
With lower GPU voltages had no crashes so far.
What it cost to me?! Well... -25% performance... Basically, it's my 'low powered' GPU for a normal day use.

Aug 4, 2021
Hey Guys,

Just made an account to post this so you can try this solution.

I swapped my Intel for Ryzen 5800x. Had no problems regarding this error for at least a few weeks. I was fiddling around in some settings trying to reduce some stutter issues. And suddenly I get this event ID 14 nvlddmkm error all the time. So, i'm pretty much sure this is a driver setting and has nothing to do with hardware failure. I undo my changed settings and the error was gone. So it definitely is a software error somewhere.

For testing purposes I did a complete reinstall of win 10, only installed the things I really needed and what do you know, same error again... With a complete fresh win10 install with newest drivers, updates etc. I changed the setting in nvidia control panel back to the settings on my other win10 install and haven't seen the error yet. Although it's only been 2 hours or so. Before I could not even complete 1 game. Seems to be working now.

As this error is related to AMD and Nvidia cards there must some something that is messing up this combination. It happens to be that there is actually an CPU threaded option in Nvidia control panel "Threaded optimization". I have no clue why this is in the NVCP since the setting determines that application can make use of multiple CPU cores. This setting is default set to auto. If I turn this off, the event 14 is gone. I did remember when this error started on my other Win10 install I turned this setting to "on" . If you have this problem, please try turning the setting "Threaded optimization" to off in NVCP.

Apr 25, 2021
Hey Guys,

Just made an account to post this so you can try this solution.

I swapped my Intel for Ryzen 5800x. Had no problems regarding this error for at least a few weeks. I was fiddling around in some settings trying to reduce some stutter issues. And suddenly I get this event ID 14 nvlddmkm error all the time. So, i'm pretty much sure this is a driver setting and has nothing to do with hardware failure. I undo my changed settings and the error was gone. So it definitely is a software error somewhere.

For testing purposes I did a complete reinstall of win 10, only installed the things I really needed and what do you know, same error again... With a complete fresh win10 install with newest drivers, updates etc. I changed the setting in nvidia control panel back to the settings on my other win10 install and haven't seen the error yet. Although it's only been 2 hours or so. Before I could not even complete 1 game. Seems to be working now.

As this error is related to AMD and Nvidia cards there must some something that is messing up this combination. It happens to be that there is actually an CPU threaded option in Nvidia control panel "Threaded optimization". I have no clue why this is in the NVCP since the setting determines that application can make use of multiple CPU cores. This setting is default set to auto. If I turn this off, the event 14 is gone. I did remember when this error started on my other Win10 install I turned this setting to "on" . If you have this problem, please try turning the setting "Threaded optimization" to off in NVCP.
Wil test it right now. Thank you for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.