Question [Hang/Freeze/Crash] - Event ID 14 nvlddmkm, AMD+NVIDIA

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 31, 2020
Hi,

i've found the issue. I have migrated the AMD system from Intel i9 Skylake-X X299 to Ryzen 5950 X570 without fresh install, i prepared and booted as it is on the new system and cleaned it up.
The Installed MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 2 lost its OC profile but it was still running in the background. After the migration ,the Afterburner failed to show the CPU cores corectly and i haven't seen all cores and possible parameter in the OSD config so i finally ignored the app for the moment because i was focused on the CPU OC. After i observed that the "freezers" have nothign to do with the CPU i did some investigation and tries, also with the help of this thread, finally nothing worked for me. The "Preferred Maximum Performance" mode of the graphcs card was the last try i did from this forum, what resulted in idle 80-100 watts more power consumption, less power boosting and finally even less points in "Unigine Super" Benchmark, same Points in "Unigine Heaven" and litle less performance in Valhalla and Serious Sam 4, but still - surface freezeres and a fully operable system via RDP. After some more observations i checked what else can affect power management and got the idea with MSI Afterburner which is even not workig correctly. I removed is and the RivaTuner app and removed all settings, switched card back to normal operation mode. Within 2 days constant on (disabled S3) with hours of Valhalla gaming an idle, keeping Curve Optimiser UV and OC on as it is (i saw no relation between OC and these freezers - they were always the same - too constant for OC related issues) the PC run well without any Error 14 freezes anymore and very stable, hours longm gamung fun, so also no freezes in game menu). On 30.12.2020 a new version of MSI Afterburner has been released on Guru3d, 4.6.3. Beta 4. I have reinstalled it and i was able to configure all cores correctly, i did also a Curve with the Scanner and saved it, someting what i havent't yet made on the Ryzen system. I have still no Error 14 / surface-freezes anymore. Right now i can say that the issue came from MSI Afterburner after the migration, was fixed removing it. If the reinstallation of same version would also help or bring the issue back i can't say, i tried newest verssion 4.6.3. Beta 4 and this results in stable system with same OC Curve on 3090 as on the previos Skylake-X platform.

If you migrate withot a fresh reinstall, observe MSI Afterburner, it can cause such issues. This system here has been multiple times migrated from Vista to Windows 8 to 8.1, from MBR to GPT/UEFI, to Windows 10 through multuiple Hardware releases and now finally to AMD x570 / Ryzen, there was no fresh insall since 2009.
Dear All,

i just like to confirm the finding an solution

Jan 21, 2021
Dear All,

i just like to confirm the finding an solution
not sure what you mean? do you mean that your quoted comment worked for you?

Anyway, I too am experiencing this issue. Ever since upgrading to a 3070. Don't see anything in my logs from before that when i had a 1080.

Specs- Ryzen 3600x, corsiar 750w psu, 32gb ddr Corsair VENGEANCE LPX ram, Gigabyte Vision 3070 RTX gpu. MSI tomahawk b450

Ram has changed, HDMI cable has changed. Neither made a difference.

How it is exhibiting the issue for me. Randomly screen goes completely blank. No video output. PC is still on and working, i can remote control it with my splashtop which I used to reboot using. But i figured out that I could just turn my Denon AV receiver off and on again and the screen worked again.

I don't think I've ever had it happen whilst actually playing games.

As a side issue, I don't know if it is related or not, but my audio randomly stops working too (different occasions to the video output going. I have to change the 'speaker settings' to a different type of output for it to work again (ie change from outputting as Atmos to 5.1 or something (then back again).
This doesn't result in an event ID of 14 like the video issue.

Also I noticed whilst gaming today that things froze up a couple of times and after looking in the system logs i noticed that I had a couple of event ID 4101 "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Don't know whats going on.

Dec 31, 2020
I still propose to remove it for a short period. You can reinstall after you verfied if it has impact. I have it also running again, since some weeks, with an OC curve and without any futher, negative observations. Don'tlike miss this tool. Your situation is different, i agree, but i think for the verfication is is fine to have it temporary removed.

Jan 21, 2021
Not sure yet. I've not uninstalled afterburner but I've stopped it running on startup. Using gigabyte oc software instead.
Not had any screen freezes so far but the audio issue has still happened (nothing in logs tho)

Dec 31, 2020
The afterbuner has only relation with the graphics card, not sure where your audio issue is comming from. You are using onboard audio, Realtek mostly? Is your audio cokpletly disappearing from device manager?

bornot

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Im having this issue only while playing demanding games.

Bought a 3600 on August paired with a GTX980, no problems. Replaced the 980 for a 3060Ti, on December 20th. Been playing Cyberpunk ever since with no issues.

I installed Red Dead Redemption on January 14thh, and since I got an error 14 nvlddmkm after 40 mins of gaming, screen goes black, then on, I can move around the mouse no problem but a few seconds after again black screen, so I reset by power button. Then I play for about 3 hours no problem. AND, a lot of coil whine, with Red Dead Redemption and with Cyberpunk. No Coil Whine with, GTA IV in example, or Shadow of the Tomb Raider with everything on ULTRA+++.

Then I play Cyberpunk with everything in ultra, no RTX. No errors for 50 hours of Cyberpunk. Then, I start to play it with RTX ON; no errors also.

Yesterday, Cyberpunks updates to 1.1, it seems like they are improving some quality thing with the shaders, I dont know if that means now the game uses more PSU power, but now I get error 14 with Cyberpunk also, with RTX off even.
I had the PCIE on Windows Power Options fix ON; so I tried that.
Now Im doing the Nvidia Control Panel power mode so lets see.

I also played Shadow of the Tomb Raider last week for an hour and no problems.

This is too damn random, and I cant find exactly where the issue is I dont know what to do, is pretty deppresing.

I noticed that when I power on the PC, and then I play for about 40 mins I get the error, but then if I restart (not power off, but restart) I can play the whole day without an issue. Its like it only happens after powering the PC off, not restarting it. I dont know anymore.

Drivers are 460.89 since day 1. My PSU is a Corsair TX750WV2 from 2011. Motherboard Asus B550 PLUS.

I think that my issue is power related, it has to be. No crashes with Cyberpunk for 50 hours and when they update to 1.1 (maybe making the game to consume more power) starts the issue. Issue that already have only with RDR2 wich I play on uber Ultra, a game that to my understanding is very very power hungry. And my PSU is 10 years old.

Im sorry about my english.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
No. Audio through the av receiver through the gfx card. Hence me thinking it was related ... This issue has been around for longer than the display issue has for me

bornot

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Im having this issue only while playing demanding games.

Bought a 3600 on August paired with a GTX980, no problems. Replaced the 980 for a 3060Ti, on December 20th. Been playing Cyberpunk ever since with no issues.

I installed Red Dead Redemption on January 14thh, and since I got an error 14 nvlddmkm after 40 mins of gaming, screen goes black, then on, I can move around the mouse no problem but a few seconds after again black screen, so I reset by power button. Then I play for about 3 hours no problem. AND, a lot of coil whine, with Red Dead Redemption and with Cyberpunk. No Coil Whine with, GTA IV in example, or Shadow of the Tomb Raider with everything on ULTRA+++.

Then I play Cyberpunk with everything in ultra, no RTX. No errors for 50 hours of Cyberpunk. Then, I start to play it with RTX ON; no errors also.

Yesterday, Cyberpunks updates to 1.1, it seems like they are improving some quality thing with the shaders, I dont know if that means now the game uses more PSU power, but now I get error 14 with Cyberpunk also, with RTX off even.
I had the PCIE on Windows Power Options fix ON; so I tried that.
Now Im doing the Nvidia Control Panel power mode so lets see.

I also played Shadow of the Tomb Raider last week for an hour and no problems.

This is too damn random, and I cant find exactly where the issue is I dont know what to do, is pretty deppresing.

I noticed that when I power on the PC, and then I play for about 40 mins I get the error, but then if I restart (not power off, but restart) I can play the whole day without an issue. Its like it only happens after powering the PC off, not restarting it. I dont know anymore.

Drivers are 460.89 since day 1. My PSU is a Corsair TX750WV2 from 2011. Motherboard Asus B550 PLUS.

I think that my issue is power related, it has to be. No crashes with Cyberpunk for 50 hours and when they update to 1.1 (maybe making the game to consume more power) starts the issue. Issue that already have only with RDR2 wich I play on uber Ultra, a game that to my understanding is very very power hungry. And my PSU is 10 years old.

Im sorry about my english.
So, i put the Maximun Power Comsumption for Cyberpunk and after 5 mins the game start to stutters and freezes, sound ok but with noise, and forced my to hard reset????? This never happened before. Im going to try to revert the power comsumpttion to "normal" buut this should be the fix you guys talk about right? Whats happening in my case?

bornot

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
So, i put the Maximun Power Comsumption for Cyberpunk and after 5 mins the game start to stutters and freezes, sound ok but with noise, and forced my to hard reset????? This never happened before. Im going to try to revert the power comsumpttion to "normal" buut this should be the fix you guys talk about right? Whats happening in my case?
So, after 5 mins of playing and with the power comsumption back on Nvidia Control Panel back to "normal", this time a very fast and complete freeze, pc reboots it self, and in event viewer says KERNEL-POWER ID 41, same thing happen with some of the previos issues I had, some times was "nvlddmkm" and sometimes "KERNEL-POWER ID 41"

Is my PSU (Corsair TX750W V2 from 2011) dying? Its my GPU faulty? Why its starting to fail after a month of upgrading the GPU, instead of instanly when I bought it?

EDIT: I just did a OCCT stress test for GPU PSU CPU etc and for 20 mins no issues.

Last edited:

Aravind92

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
So, after 5 mins of playing and with the power comsumption back on Nvidia Control Panel back to "normal", this time a very fast and complete freeze, pc reboots it self, and in event viewer says KERNEL-POWER ID 41, same thing happen with some of the previos issues I had, some times was "nvlddmkm" and sometimes "KERNEL-POWER ID 41"

Is my PSU (Corsair TX750W V2 from 2011) dying? Its my GPU faulty? Why its starting to fail after a month of upgrading the GPU, instead of instanly when I bought it?

EDIT: I just did a OCCT stress test for GPU PSU CPU etc and for 20 mins no issues.
You've got a solid PSU, but I am afraid your issue sounds different from the one this thread is about, I would point you towards checking either the psu or the GPU.

The issue on this thread doesn't happen when the gpu is under load.

bornot

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Feb 24, 2021
Good morning all! I've recently been through this issue and thought I'd share my experience. I thought I had it fixed, but of course as I'm typing this the issue occurred again. Still, posting my current progress and info here. I apologize that it's a bit long winded, but I figure more info is better than not enough. There's a TL;DR at the bottom.

First off, some specs:
Intel 9700k
Nvidia RTX 2080ti (EVGA FTW2 Ultra edition)
Asus ROG Z-390E Mobo
32 GB (4x8 GB) TridentZ RGB RAM @ 3200 MHz

The device has never been seriously overclocked, so most things have been running clock speeds and shouldn't have much wear - I've turned on basic XMP settings to make sure my RAM was running at the proper speeds and did some minor tinkering in EVGA Precision X to make my fan's cooling curve a bit more aggressive while maintaining standard speeds for the GPU. I did tinker with Asus AI overclocking from the UEFI BIOS during the process of diagnosing this issue, but didn't have much luck with it so it remains disabled. Most components are also only about 2 years old, but 2 of the RAM sticks have been carried over from my previous build and may be closer to 3 or 4 years old.

The issue began around 2/19/2021 after updating to Nvidia driver version 461.40. The "Event Code 14" popped up in my Event Viewer shortly after the driver update and while I wasn't doing much on the PC - just some Youtube videos streaming into a Discord call and an Android emulator running (CPU heavy but not GPU intensive from what I can gather.) The crash simply resulted in my two monitors flashing off to black for a few seconds, then coming back. During the outage, video and audio from the browser/VOIP programs seemed to work normally (though those in my Discord call mentioned my getting laggy when I spoke during this time.) After my monitors returned to normal, nothing seemed to seriously crash or provide an error message, but any application that may have been seriously using my GPU such as games would no longer be rendering - in most cases, the program would still be there and the window still open with audio continuing, but either a black screen or an empty/transparent window took the place of any rendered image. These would not seem to recover and required the program to be rebooted. The computer did not seem to need to be power cycled afterwards, as most things continued working just fine. The only sign of the crash was in Event Viewer.

I didn't think much of this - just some growing pains after the driver update, so continued about business as normal. Played some more graphically intensive stuff later in the evening including Valheim, Guild Wars 2, and a handful of other games from my Steam library. No serious problems or changes in performance in any of these, and I didn't experience any crashes over the course of my Friday night gaming session.

I left my PC on overnight and woke up to a few more cases of the crash in Event Viewer in the morning after the computer should have been idle, so I got to work troubleshooting and stumbled across this thread. My first day of fixes included the following:
  • DDU + Reinstall the 461.40 driver (no major changes)
  • Checked for BIOS updates with Asus EZ Update (had one update to BIOS version 1802 but no major changes after)
  • Checked Intel/Asus website for other chipset/BIOS updates and utilities (Found nothing - chipset up to date)
I was pretty frustrated that the issue continued, so I spent my Saturday mostly just watching Youtube videos while getting some work done. The issue happened a number of times throughout the day which was pretty annoying, but I put off more troubleshooting until Sunday/Monday:
  • DDU + Revert to previous 461.09 driver version (no improvement)
  • Monitored GPU-Z and noticed my Bus Interface/Clock speeds seeming to lower into power saving more often
  • Ensured that no power saving functions were enabled in Windows/Nvidia Control Panel (no improvement
  • Flashed the BIOS again against my better judgement (no improvement)
  • Intel CPU Diagnostic (no issues found)
  • MemTest (no issues found)
  • Opened a ticket with Nvidia support
Once again, I couldn't make much progress and the issue persisted - in fact, it seemed to become more frequent of an issue, which is why I finally decided to submit the ticket to Nvidia, though I have yet to hear back from them.

I've continued to tinker with the issue the last couple of days, mostly trying to narrow down the source of the issue. I've noticed that the issue seems to occur most often when the computer or GPU is in a more idle state. As mentioned in the previous section, my Bus Interface seems to lower from the expect x16 3.0 @ x16 3.0 down to x16 3.0 @ x16 1.1 or 2.0 more often than usual. I'm aware that this can be caused by power saving settings, but nothing on this front has changed and none of these should be on - I've confirmed that Windows is using the maximum power profile, Nvidia Control Panel is set to maximum performance, and Link State Management is turned off for good measure, but the card still ramps down more than previously, and this is when the crash most often happens - not when it is under load.

Based on suggestions in this thread and elsewhere online, I reinstalled EVGA Precision X and enabled the "Boost Lock" function and noticed that this has so far seemed to completely solve the problem when enabled, so it is working as a good band aid for now.***

Last night, I tried running a PassMark Performance Test for the heck of it and noticed my scores - particularly for 2D/3D rendering - were lower than normal which I suppose is to be expected. Oddly, I tried a Windows file check (sfc /scannow) this morning that found a few corrupt files and noticed that the clock speeds were maintaining a more normal/midrange value after that and a reboot (even without EVGA Precision X), so I ran the test again and got the usual high marks I would have expected before this issue. That and an hour or so of stable performance almost had me convinced the issue was gone, but as mentioned the crash happened again while writing this so I'm back to the Precision X band aid.

I'm hoping Nvidia will reply soon with some additional steps to help - I've sent them an update with my ongoing troubleshooting and attempted fixes to keep them in the loop. I really hope my GPU isn't dying on me, but I'll accept the L if it is - luckily, I think the card is still under warranty, so I might be able to get some repairs/replacements. Won't be so lucky if it's a CPU/Motherboard failure though, so I hope it's not that. I'm really stumped as I've seemingly been able to narrow down the issue, but I'm completely at a loss for more potential fixes.

TL;DR - Event Code 14 on an Nvidia + Intel system after driver update to 461.40 on 2/19/2021. Seems to occur when GPU is in an idle/power saving state, but also power saving seems more aggressive/broken than previously. Crash does not seem to occur when GPU is actually in use and under load. Not fixed with driver reinstall or downgrades, BIOS update, or other general troubleshooting outlined above. No noticeable performance drop, but PassMark gave lower scores than usual. Seemed to improve after Windows file check/repair (PassMark score back to normal, GPU clock holding steady) but resurfaced within an hour. EVGA Precision X Boost Lock function works as a band aid for now and the issue does not happen when this feature is active.***

***Update: While finishing up this post, the crash happened again with Boost Lock active. :( Not too surprising since PC is mostly idle, but disappointing none the less. I noticed in Precision X after this that the clock speed was down to around 340 MHz but still highlighted in blue as if boost/Boost Lock was still enabled. I toggled Boost Lock off and on again, and it's back up to 2010 MHz.

Might try physically inspecting hardware later - do some cleaning and reseat the GPU, check power cables, all that. If anyone potentially has some tips for anything else to look out for while doing so, let me know!

Update 2: So, after the Windows repair seeming to fix things earlier, I decided to also take a chance on a total Windows reinstall - kept general C drive files and programs from off C. Ever since (it's been 6 hours now - full day of work and games, idle and under load on and off) and I haven't noticed a crash, Event ID 14, or any clock speed throttling on my GPU. It might have just been Windows having problems as it tends to do? I'll run a few more tests and things in the coming days and report back!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
fwiw, stop running msi afterburner (and using the gigabyte one instead) has stopped the issue. although i still get the audio problem i highlighted in my first reply.. I am guessing its something related to my AVR specifically and nvidia.

Feb 25, 2021
Hmm, I upgraded MB , CPU, SSD and RAM 2 weeks ago, clean new Windows 10 installation and ever since had this issue :( (Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS TUF B550m PLUS WIFI). PSU (650W) and GPU (EVGA 2080) are the same and never did this... "stunt"... before. It's slightly taking the joy out of the new system, gotta admit :/

I'll try the "maximum performance"-setting and new drivers now. There is no BIOS-update available for my mainboard sadly. Let's see where this is going. Oddly I do almost never get the error while playing games but rather while having open various web-apps (Whatsapp Web, Youtube, etc.)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS