Question [Hang/Freeze/Crash] - Event ID 14 nvlddmkm, AMD+NVIDIA

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020
This thread is for if your issue occurs sporadically and randomly (from once every week(s) to once every month(s)). If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue.

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE QUESTIONS, A FIX OR RELEVANT ADDITIONAL INFO as this will otherwise flood the thread is it did with the previous one. Use the poll instead to add your +1.

Introduction:
This has been a long going thread from Reddit which I was the owner of.
The thread is almost 6 months old, meaning it will most likely archive and I am getting notifications from other people having the issue almost every other day. I decided to compile (300+ comments) the info from that thread and post it here.

Issue Description:
As stated above, this issue occurs sporadically: you can be gaming, editing, or watching a Youtube video, it doesn’t seem to have correlation. On average it will happen once every 3 weeks for me.
When the error occurs, the computer will begin to stutter, your inputs will be extremely jerky/delayed and sometimes the screen will go black with only the cursor displaying. This makes it impossible to use the computer while it occurs.
The issue will sometimes resolve itself (can take from 1 to 15 minutes) and sometimes last too long for it to be worth waiting, meaning I will manually crash my computer.

There seems to be a correlation between having a NVIDIA GPU and an AMD Ryzen CPU, however, (very) few have described the issue happening on a different configuration.

Last time I had the issue: [2020-03-07]
(YYYY,MM,DD).

Event Viewer Error:
Event ID 14 - nvlddmkm
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video3
0cec(3098) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Contacts:
Others and I have attempted contacting both AMD & NVIDIA here is each of their answers (broadly):
AMD: Ensure that you have updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard and are using stock settings. They think it's mostly an issue related to the graphic's card. It should be on NVIDIA's side to fix this. It could also be related to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2665946/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows-7 (which is related to windows 10 as well).
NVIDIA (info from Reddit user u/faildude7): “[...] I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multi-threading in Ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes.” + “he told me that and it's pretty bad since this error seems like it's 6 years old at least so I don't see them fixing it any time soon, this just was more popular with the RTX series since he told me that it's more common with these graphics but if you search info you can see people complaining for years.”

Fixes
This is a list of attempted and not attempted fixes mentioned by some users from the thread mentioned above. The problem with this issue is also not knowing when the issue will happen. Someone can declare a fix but we don't truly know about whether it works or not after a few months of waiting (as the issue occurs so sporadically). Running generic stress tests will also not make the issue occur.

Attempted Fixes:
  1. RMA (Replace) with the same GPU model. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  2. Update drivers. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  3. Use stock settings. This does not fix the issue. (from AMD)
  4. Disabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (from u/3feetHair)
  5. Enabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  6. Setting your Power Plan to AMD’s “High Performance” (from u/Injuis)
  7. Setting Memory Frequency to the correct frequency through BIOS (from u/NovalAcanthocephala6)
  8. Change your GPU power mode to “Maximum Performance”. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power Management mode. Many users have mentioned this working (from u/eatwritelaugh) [fix personally attempted on 2020/04/16]
  9. DDUd and reinstall drivers. This does not fix the issue. (from u/Aravind92)
Potential Fixes:
  1. Update BIOS for Chipset & Motherboard. (This has been attempted by some and didn’t fix the issue, however it could still be a potential fix in the future.)
  2. Reset Windows Power Options (from u/Aravind92)
  3. Disable HW Acceleration in Firefox (from u/Aravind92)
  4. RMA (replacing) with a different PSU. This has apparently fixed the issue for one user, however the user had an intel CPU. (from u/Speedfreakz)
  5. Replacing every component in your computer seems to work (which admittedly is not a fix).
  6. Set your RAM to “Power Down Enabled/mode” to disable and “Gear Down Mode” enabled. (from u/Gigakv)
Other Info compiled from user comments on the previous thread:
  • u/sprousaTM has mentioned this only occurring when the PC is idle.
  • u/ponybeu5 has mentioned changing from a 1080 Strix to a 2080 Super EVGA and then starting getting the issue (with AMD 3900X).
  • u/RafaMarioFan has said the following: Started with this setup: GT1030+ used A320+ ryzen3600 + 500W psu (that doesn't have 80plus), changed to a Galax 1660 and started having the error. Replaced PSU for a Corssair CX 550 (80p bronze) which didn’t fix the error. Went back to the GT1030. Bought a RTX 2060S which caused the issue again. Then changed from A320 to a B450 which didn’t fix the issue.
  • A few users have mentioned the issue only occurring a few months after having their PC built. (I personally don’t remember)
  • u/Civil_Specter has mentioned a fix, however it seems like their issue was occurring consistently when gaming, which is different from what a majority of people are getting and most likely a different issue:
    • Use AMD Ryzen Master to disable SMT (Simultaneous Multi threading)
    • Downloaded a program called Project Lasso to improve gaming performance.
    • Used EVGA Precision X1 software to make a custom GPU profile with “Boost Lock” enabled. Which keeps your GPU from idle.
  • u/Gigakv has provided the following info: Can confirm it's still an issue with Ryzen 3000 + Turing
    • Ryzen 2600 + RTX 2060 - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + GTX 1070 TI - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + RTX 2060 that worked fine with the Ryzen 2600 - GPU crashing when using hardware acceleration \ idle. No issues during gaming or stress testing.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with hardware acceleration.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with the GPU switching from idle to performance mode.
  • u/MBDdk mentioned that the issue might’ve been fixed in the AMD driver update 20-2-2: “Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.”
My Full Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4-3200 [16GB x 4]
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W80
Case: NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5” 7200 RPM

List of a portion of reported setups with the issue from the reddit thread:
  • u/faildude7: Ryzen 9 3950X + RTX 2080Ti + G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz + Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro
  • u/rimokonman: Ryzen 3700X + NVIDIA 2070S
  • u/eatwritelaugh: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2070 Super + Adata 3200mhz 8x2 + MSI B450 Carbon
  • u/sprousaTM: Ryzen 3800X + RTX 2080 + 16GB Trident RAM + 1200watt corsair power supply (+custom watercooling)
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x + MSI Tomohawk B450 Max + gtx 1660 ti + Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz + cm mwe v2 550w + Acer VG240YP.
  • u/QueBugCheckEx: Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti
  • u/PentaChicken: Ryzen 5 3600X and RTX 2070 Super
  • u/Skastrike09: Ryzen 3600 + NVidia 2060
  • u/iksargodzilla: ryzen 3700x + rtx 2060 super + tuf gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard + 2x8gb ram
  • u/OOO639: 3700x and a 2080 super
  • u/clockwork000: 3900X + 2070S
  • u/ Dyeneks: RTX 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 3700X
  • u/TheChozoKnight: RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 3700X + Asus X570F Mobo
  • u/impmallet: 2080ti + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 Aurus Elite
  • u/fluidzreddit: Msi trio 2080ti @ stock + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 master (f11 bios). Ram - Crucial ballistix sport 3200 cas 16 @ xmp
  • u/kaimenlau: Ryzen 3950x + rtx 2080 ti
  • u/NovelAcanthocephala6: 3950x + 2080 super
  • u/MBDdk: Ryzen 5 3600 + NVIDIA RTX 1660S
  • u/Speedfreakz: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 1 + Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (TU104-450) @ 300 MHz + Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TBCougar STX 750 power supply.+ 2x 16gb HyperX Predator Rgb memory
  • u/yanboz: 3950X + 2080Ti
  • u/Tounushi: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Dual Evo OC + Asus Prime x370-Pro mobo (BIOS v.4801) + 750W power source + AMD R7 3700X + 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (running 2400) + M.2 SSD OS drive + SSD and HDD gaming and storage drives, respectively
  • u/Skastrike09: RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, and X570 AORUS ELITE
  • u/Oren1: Ryzen 5 3600 + Rtx 2060 super
  • u/rickgolds: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 + RAM Trident Z with Samsung B-Die
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomohawk B450 Max, gtx 1660 ti, Corsair Vengence LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz, cm mwe v2 550w, Acer VG240YP.
  • u/MrSheep_: 1660ti + Ryzen 5 3600.
  • u/KM1k92: R9 3900x + RTX 2060 SUPER
  • u/Sanastro: i9 9900k + Zotac 2080ti
  • u/Flush535: 3700X + 2070S
  • u/3feetHair: Ryzen 2700 + GTX 1660
  • u/Sp0KI: 3700x + x470 + 2070
  • u/ThatOneCrazyFriend: 3900X + 2070 Super
  • u/calscks: 3900X + RTX 2080
  • u/hop-limit: 3800x + rtx 2070s
  • And many others…
Reddit thread: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

Dec 31, 2020
Hi,

i've found the issue. I have migrated the AMD system from Intel i9 Skylake-X X299 to Ryzen 5950 X570 without fresh install, i prepared and booted as it is on the new system and cleaned it up.
The Installed MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 2 lost its OC profile but it was still running in the background. After the migration ,the Afterburner failed to show the CPU cores corectly and i haven't seen all cores and possible parameter in the OSD config so i finally ignored the app for the moment because i was focused on the CPU OC. After i observed that the "freezers" have nothign to do with the CPU i did some investigation and tries, also with the help of this thread, finally nothing worked for me. The "Preferred Maximum Performance" mode of the graphcs card was the last try i did from this forum, what resulted in idle 80-100 watts more power consumption, less power boosting and finally even less points in "Unigine Super" Benchmark, same Points in "Unigine Heaven" and litle less performance in Valhalla and Serious Sam 4, but still - surface freezeres and a fully operable system via RDP. After some more observations i checked what else can affect power management and got the idea with MSI Afterburner which is even not workig correctly. I removed is and the RivaTuner app and removed all settings, switched card back to normal operation mode. Within 2 days constant on (disabled S3) with hours of Valhalla gaming an idle, keeping Curve Optimiser UV and OC on as it is (i saw no relation between OC and these freezers - they were always the same - too constant for OC related issues) the PC run well without any Error 14 freezes anymore and very stable, hours longm gamung fun, so also no freezes in game menu). On 30.12.2020 a new version of MSI Afterburner has been released on Guru3d, 4.6.3. Beta 4. I have reinstalled it and i was able to configure all cores correctly, i did also a Curve with the Scanner and saved it, someting what i havent't yet made on the Ryzen system. I have still no Error 14 / surface-freezes anymore. Right now i can say that the issue came from MSI Afterburner after the migration, was fixed removing it. If the reinstallation of same version would also help or bring the issue back i can't say, i tried newest verssion 4.6.3. Beta 4 and this results in stable system with same OC Curve on 3090 as on the previos Skylake-X platform.

If you migrate withot a fresh reinstall, observe MSI Afterburner, it can cause such issues. This system here has been multiple times migrated from Vista to Windows 8 to 8.1, from MBR to GPT/UEFI, to Windows 10 through multuiple Hardware releases and now finally to AMD x570 / Ryzen, there was no fresh insall since 2009.

Dear All,

i just like to confirm the finding an solution

Jan 21, 2021
Dear All,

i just like to confirm the finding an solution
not sure what you mean? do you mean that your quoted comment worked for you?

Anyway, I too am experiencing this issue. Ever since upgrading to a 3070. Don't see anything in my logs from before that when i had a 1080.

Specs- Ryzen 3600x, corsiar 750w psu, 32gb ddr Corsair VENGEANCE LPX ram, Gigabyte Vision 3070 RTX gpu. MSI tomahawk b450

Ram has changed, HDMI cable has changed. Neither made a difference.

How it is exhibiting the issue for me. Randomly screen goes completely blank. No video output. PC is still on and working, i can remote control it with my splashtop which I used to reboot using. But i figured out that I could just turn my Denon AV receiver off and on again and the screen worked again.

I don't think I've ever had it happen whilst actually playing games.

As a side issue, I don't know if it is related or not, but my audio randomly stops working too (different occasions to the video output going. I have to change the 'speaker settings' to a different type of output for it to work again (ie change from outputting as Atmos to 5.1 or something (then back again).
This doesn't result in an event ID of 14 like the video issue.

Also I noticed whilst gaming today that things froze up a couple of times and after looking in the system logs i noticed that I had a couple of event ID 4101 "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Don't know whats going on.

Dec 31, 2020
I still propose to remove it for a short period. You can reinstall after you verfied if it has impact. I have it also running again, since some weeks, with an OC curve and without any futher, negative observations. Don'tlike miss this tool. Your situation is different, i agree, but i think for the verfication is is fine to have it temporary removed.

Jan 21, 2021
Not sure yet. I've not uninstalled afterburner but I've stopped it running on startup. Using gigabyte oc software instead.
Not had any screen freezes so far but the audio issue has still happened (nothing in logs tho)

Dec 31, 2020
The afterbuner has only relation with the graphics card, not sure where your audio issue is comming from. You are using onboard audio, Realtek mostly? Is your audio cokpletly disappearing from device manager?

bornot

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Im having this issue only while playing demanding games.

Bought a 3600 on August paired with a GTX980, no problems. Replaced the 980 for a 3060Ti, on December 20th. Been playing Cyberpunk ever since with no issues.

I installed Red Dead Redemption on January 14thh, and since I got an error 14 nvlddmkm after 40 mins of gaming, screen goes black, then on, I can move around the mouse no problem but a few seconds after again black screen, so I reset by power button. Then I play for about 3 hours no problem. AND, a lot of coil whine, with Red Dead Redemption and with Cyberpunk. No Coil Whine with, GTA IV in example, or Shadow of the Tomb Raider with everything on ULTRA+++.

Then I play Cyberpunk with everything in ultra, no RTX. No errors for 50 hours of Cyberpunk. Then, I start to play it with RTX ON; no errors also.

Yesterday, Cyberpunks updates to 1.1, it seems like they are improving some quality thing with the shaders, I dont know if that means now the game uses more PSU power, but now I get error 14 with Cyberpunk also, with RTX off even.
I had the PCIE on Windows Power Options fix ON; so I tried that.
Now Im doing the Nvidia Control Panel power mode so lets see.

I also played Shadow of the Tomb Raider last week for an hour and no problems.

This is too damn random, and I cant find exactly where the issue is I dont know what to do, is pretty deppresing.

I noticed that when I power on the PC, and then I play for about 40 mins I get the error, but then if I restart (not power off, but restart) I can play the whole day without an issue. Its like it only happens after powering the PC off, not restarting it. I dont know anymore.

Drivers are 460.89 since day 1. My PSU is a Corsair TX750WV2 from 2011. Motherboard Asus B550 PLUS.

I think that my issue is power related, it has to be. No crashes with Cyberpunk for 50 hours and when they update to 1.1 (maybe making the game to consume more power) starts the issue. Issue that already have only with RDR2 wich I play on uber Ultra, a game that to my understanding is very very power hungry. And my PSU is 10 years old.

Im sorry about my english.

Last edited:

bornot

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Im having this issue only while playing demanding games.

Bought a 3600 on August paired with a GTX980, no problems. Replaced the 980 for a 3060Ti, on December 20th. Been playing Cyberpunk ever since with no issues.

I installed Red Dead Redemption on January 14thh, and since I got an error 14 nvlddmkm after 40 mins of gaming, screen goes black, then on, I can move around the mouse no problem but a few seconds after again black screen, so I reset by power button. Then I play for about 3 hours no problem. AND, a lot of coil whine, with Red Dead Redemption and with Cyberpunk. No Coil Whine with, GTA IV in example, or Shadow of the Tomb Raider with everything on ULTRA+++.

Then I play Cyberpunk with everything in ultra, no RTX. No errors for 50 hours of Cyberpunk. Then, I start to play it with RTX ON; no errors also.

Yesterday, Cyberpunks updates to 1.1, it seems like they are improving some quality thing with the shaders, I dont know if that means now the game uses more PSU power, but now I get error 14 with Cyberpunk also, with RTX off even.
I had the PCIE on Windows Power Options fix ON; so I tried that.
Now Im doing the Nvidia Control Panel power mode so lets see.

I also played Shadow of the Tomb Raider last week for an hour and no problems.

This is too damn random, and I cant find exactly where the issue is I dont know what to do, is pretty deppresing.

I noticed that when I power on the PC, and then I play for about 40 mins I get the error, but then if I restart (not power off, but restart) I can play the whole day without an issue. Its like it only happens after powering the PC off, not restarting it. I dont know anymore.

Drivers are 460.89 since day 1. My PSU is a Corsair TX750WV2 from 2011. Motherboard Asus B550 PLUS.

I think that my issue is power related, it has to be. No crashes with Cyberpunk for 50 hours and when they update to 1.1 (maybe making the game to consume more power) starts the issue. Issue that already have only with RDR2 wich I play on uber Ultra, a game that to my understanding is very very power hungry. And my PSU is 10 years old.

Im sorry about my english.

So, i put the Maximun Power Comsumption for Cyberpunk and after 5 mins the game start to stutters and freezes, sound ok but with noise, and forced my to hard reset????? This never happened before. Im going to try to revert the power comsumpttion to "normal" buut this should be the fix you guys talk about right? Whats happening in my case?

bornot

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
So, i put the Maximun Power Comsumption for Cyberpunk and after 5 mins the game start to stutters and freezes, sound ok but with noise, and forced my to hard reset????? This never happened before. Im going to try to revert the power comsumpttion to "normal" buut this should be the fix you guys talk about right? Whats happening in my case?

So, after 5 mins of playing and with the power comsumption back on Nvidia Control Panel back to "normal", this time a very fast and complete freeze, pc reboots it self, and in event viewer says KERNEL-POWER ID 41, same thing happen with some of the previos issues I had, some times was "nvlddmkm" and sometimes "KERNEL-POWER ID 41"

Is my PSU (Corsair TX750W V2 from 2011) dying? Its my GPU faulty? Why its starting to fail after a month of upgrading the GPU, instead of instanly when I bought it?

EDIT: I just did a OCCT stress test for GPU PSU CPU etc and for 20 mins no issues.

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
So, after 5 mins of playing and with the power comsumption back on Nvidia Control Panel back to "normal", this time a very fast and complete freeze, pc reboots it self, and in event viewer says KERNEL-POWER ID 41, same thing happen with some of the previos issues I had, some times was "nvlddmkm" and sometimes "KERNEL-POWER ID 41"

Is my PSU (Corsair TX750W V2 from 2011) dying? Its my GPU faulty? Why its starting to fail after a month of upgrading the GPU, instead of instanly when I bought it?

EDIT: I just did a OCCT stress test for GPU PSU CPU etc and for 20 mins no issues.
You've got a solid PSU, but I am afraid your issue sounds different from the one this thread is about, I would point you towards checking either the psu or the GPU.

The issue on this thread doesn't happen when the gpu is under load.

Reactions: DunkelBlauer

bornot

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Feb 24, 2021
Good morning all! I've recently been through this issue and thought I'd share my experience. I thought I had it fixed, but of course as I'm typing this the issue occurred again. Still, posting my current progress and info here. I apologize that it's a bit long winded, but I figure more info is better than not enough. There's a TL;DR at the bottom.

First off, some specs:
Intel 9700k
Nvidia RTX 2080ti (EVGA FTW2 Ultra edition)
Asus ROG Z-390E Mobo
32 GB (4x8 GB) TridentZ RGB RAM @ 3200 MHz

The device has never been seriously overclocked, so most things have been running clock speeds and shouldn't have much wear - I've turned on basic XMP settings to make sure my RAM was running at the proper speeds and did some minor tinkering in EVGA Precision X to make my fan's cooling curve a bit more aggressive while maintaining standard speeds for the GPU. I did tinker with Asus AI overclocking from the UEFI BIOS during the process of diagnosing this issue, but didn't have much luck with it so it remains disabled. Most components are also only about 2 years old, but 2 of the RAM sticks have been carried over from my previous build and may be closer to 3 or 4 years old.

The issue began around 2/19/2021 after updating to Nvidia driver version 461.40. The "Event Code 14" popped up in my Event Viewer shortly after the driver update and while I wasn't doing much on the PC - just some Youtube videos streaming into a Discord call and an Android emulator running (CPU heavy but not GPU intensive from what I can gather.) The crash simply resulted in my two monitors flashing off to black for a few seconds, then coming back. During the outage, video and audio from the browser/VOIP programs seemed to work normally (though those in my Discord call mentioned my getting laggy when I spoke during this time.) After my monitors returned to normal, nothing seemed to seriously crash or provide an error message, but any application that may have been seriously using my GPU such as games would no longer be rendering - in most cases, the program would still be there and the window still open with audio continuing, but either a black screen or an empty/transparent window took the place of any rendered image. These would not seem to recover and required the program to be rebooted. The computer did not seem to need to be power cycled afterwards, as most things continued working just fine. The only sign of the crash was in Event Viewer.

I didn't think much of this - just some growing pains after the driver update, so continued about business as normal. Played some more graphically intensive stuff later in the evening including Valheim, Guild Wars 2, and a handful of other games from my Steam library. No serious problems or changes in performance in any of these, and I didn't experience any crashes over the course of my Friday night gaming session.

I left my PC on overnight and woke up to a few more cases of the crash in Event Viewer in the morning after the computer should have been idle, so I got to work troubleshooting and stumbled across this thread. My first day of fixes included the following:
  • DDU + Reinstall the 461.40 driver (no major changes)
  • Checked for BIOS updates with Asus EZ Update (had one update to BIOS version 1802 but no major changes after)
  • Checked Intel/Asus website for other chipset/BIOS updates and utilities (Found nothing - chipset up to date)
I was pretty frustrated that the issue continued, so I spent my Saturday mostly just watching Youtube videos while getting some work done. The issue happened a number of times throughout the day which was pretty annoying, but I put off more troubleshooting until Sunday/Monday:
  • DDU + Revert to previous 461.09 driver version (no improvement)
  • Monitored GPU-Z and noticed my Bus Interface/Clock speeds seeming to lower into power saving more often
  • Ensured that no power saving functions were enabled in Windows/Nvidia Control Panel (no improvement
  • Flashed the BIOS again against my better judgement (no improvement)
  • Intel CPU Diagnostic (no issues found)
  • MemTest (no issues found)
  • Opened a ticket with Nvidia support
Once again, I couldn't make much progress and the issue persisted - in fact, it seemed to become more frequent of an issue, which is why I finally decided to submit the ticket to Nvidia, though I have yet to hear back from them.

I've continued to tinker with the issue the last couple of days, mostly trying to narrow down the source of the issue. I've noticed that the issue seems to occur most often when the computer or GPU is in a more idle state. As mentioned in the previous section, my Bus Interface seems to lower from the expect x16 3.0 @ x16 3.0 down to x16 3.0 @ x16 1.1 or 2.0 more often than usual. I'm aware that this can be caused by power saving settings, but nothing on this front has changed and none of these should be on - I've confirmed that Windows is using the maximum power profile, Nvidia Control Panel is set to maximum performance, and Link State Management is turned off for good measure, but the card still ramps down more than previously, and this is when the crash most often happens - not when it is under load.

Based on suggestions in this thread and elsewhere online, I reinstalled EVGA Precision X and enabled the "Boost Lock" function and noticed that this has so far seemed to completely solve the problem when enabled, so it is working as a good band aid for now.***

Last night, I tried running a PassMark Performance Test for the heck of it and noticed my scores - particularly for 2D/3D rendering - were lower than normal which I suppose is to be expected. Oddly, I tried a Windows file check (sfc /scannow) this morning that found a few corrupt files and noticed that the clock speeds were maintaining a more normal/midrange value after that and a reboot (even without EVGA Precision X), so I ran the test again and got the usual high marks I would have expected before this issue. That and an hour or so of stable performance almost had me convinced the issue was gone, but as mentioned the crash happened again while writing this so I'm back to the Precision X band aid.

I'm hoping Nvidia will reply soon with some additional steps to help - I've sent them an update with my ongoing troubleshooting and attempted fixes to keep them in the loop. I really hope my GPU isn't dying on me, but I'll accept the L if it is - luckily, I think the card is still under warranty, so I might be able to get some repairs/replacements. Won't be so lucky if it's a CPU/Motherboard failure though, so I hope it's not that. I'm really stumped as I've seemingly been able to narrow down the issue, but I'm completely at a loss for more potential fixes.

TL;DR - Event Code 14 on an Nvidia + Intel system after driver update to 461.40 on 2/19/2021. Seems to occur when GPU is in an idle/power saving state, but also power saving seems more aggressive/broken than previously. Crash does not seem to occur when GPU is actually in use and under load. Not fixed with driver reinstall or downgrades, BIOS update, or other general troubleshooting outlined above. No noticeable performance drop, but PassMark gave lower scores than usual. Seemed to improve after Windows file check/repair (PassMark score back to normal, GPU clock holding steady) but resurfaced within an hour. EVGA Precision X Boost Lock function works as a band aid for now and the issue does not happen when this feature is active.***

***Update: While finishing up this post, the crash happened again with Boost Lock active. :( Not too surprising since PC is mostly idle, but disappointing none the less. I noticed in Precision X after this that the clock speed was down to around 340 MHz but still highlighted in blue as if boost/Boost Lock was still enabled. I toggled Boost Lock off and on again, and it's back up to 2010 MHz.

Might try physically inspecting hardware later - do some cleaning and reseat the GPU, check power cables, all that. If anyone potentially has some tips for anything else to look out for while doing so, let me know!

Update 2: So, after the Windows repair seeming to fix things earlier, I decided to also take a chance on a total Windows reinstall - kept general C drive files and programs from off C. Ever since (it's been 6 hours now - full day of work and games, idle and under load on and off) and I haven't noticed a crash, Event ID 14, or any clock speed throttling on my GPU. It might have just been Windows having problems as it tends to do? I'll run a few more tests and things in the coming days and report back!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
fwiw, stop running msi afterburner (and using the gigabyte one instead) has stopped the issue. although i still get the audio problem i highlighted in my first reply.. I am guessing its something related to my AVR specifically and nvidia.

Feb 25, 2021
Hmm, I upgraded MB , CPU, SSD and RAM 2 weeks ago, clean new Windows 10 installation and ever since had this issue :( (Ryzen 7 5800X, ASUS TUF B550m PLUS WIFI). PSU (650W) and GPU (EVGA 2080) are the same and never did this... "stunt"... before. It's slightly taking the joy out of the new system, gotta admit :/

I'll try the "maximum performance"-setting and new drivers now. There is no BIOS-update available for my mainboard sadly. Let's see where this is going. Oddly I do almost never get the error while playing games but rather while having open various web-apps (Whatsapp Web, Youtube, etc.)

Feb 28, 2021
I've been having this problem as well

Code:
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\00000096
0d20(3270) 00000000 00000000

I've been battling this problem for the past month and a half now, so far I RMA the RTX 2080 Super, got it back and tested it on my system 3900X, 32 GSKIL Trident ram, Asus Hero 8 Mobo and Samsung m.2 970 evo. IT Worked fine using a different SSD as I installed Windows 10 on it, however after Reinstalling Windows 10 on my m.2 970 evo I am still getting this error and it's frustrating :mad:

I am beginning to think this could be either an SSD Problem or Motherboard now. I will test the other ssd again and report back

Feb 25, 2021
Hmm, I did now do 2 things and I have not had a single occurance of this issue ever since (which was 3 days ago and before that I had error 14 like 10 times a day). These two things are:
  1. Change my browser (I used the brave-browser before but found that its hardware-acceleration feature did somehow struggle lately. I switched to Edge but I guess other things would have worked, too)
  2. I updated my graphics driver once again. The "old" driver was only 1-2 weeks old but there was a newer version available.
One of these two thing (sadly I cannot say which since I did both changes at the same time) seems to have helped. Of course the driver would be more logical to assume as the solution, BUT thinking about it, I had error 14 like 99% of times while surfing (or at least surfing in parallel) and NOT during gaming or even mining runs. Maybe this is not helpful for you, but for my new setup of Ryzen 5800x + m2 SSD (980 Pro) + Geforce 2080 it reduced the error-frequency from "10 times a day" to "0 times in 3 days"...

Feb 28, 2021
Thanks for the reply but I believe I got it fixed now. I posted my solution in the Asus ROG forums as I have their motherboard:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...t-know-what-to-check-for!&p=829010#post829010

But what I did was Change my secondary monitor to a different electrical port and reset the Windows power plan settings and updated windows 10. 🙂

Maybe the nvlddmkm has to do with not enough electrical current being regulated to run the videocard thus causing the crash? I don't know but it's worth a try what worked for me.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hey, thank you for the update, I would also like to add something, I changed the nvidia power setting to prefer maximum performance long back and forgot about the issue.

However, recently, a contact on reddit who was facing the issue sent me a message saying the recent BIOS update(1.1.0.0 Patch D, this is the version he mentioned for B450 boards) along with the 20H2 windows update solved the issue.

I haven't personally tested this even though I am on the recent Windows version and the Bios version he recommended, however, I contacted him a month later and he confirmed the issue never showed up again.

worth a try for people who are still facing this issue.

Apr 4, 2021
Hi everyone

Just wanna pitch in with my experience, because I think I finally found and resolved my issue.

From reading the Reddit thread that leads to this forum thread, it seems like the general conclusion so far from experiencing BSODs caused by nvlddmkm in Event Viewer, is that this is a problem which:
  • Occurs in machines running an RTX 2000 series graphics card and a Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
  • Stems from a known incompatibility issue between Turing and Zen 2 architectures, which...
  • ...causes crashes when going from low GPU voltage/performance to high GPU voltage/performance, which...
  • ...was temporarily fixed by forcing the GPU to stay at max performance via the NVIDIA Control Panel, but according to some people...
  • ...is permanently fixed by updating the motherboard BIOS which runs an updated version of AMD AGESA ComboAm4PI.
The above makes a ton of sense, but it didn't seem to fix my issue.

You know what did? Activating A-XMP and ensuring your RAM runs at its designated frequency via the BIOS settings.

My RAM was designated to run at 3200MHz, but was running at only 2133MHz with A-XMP turned off. After updating the settings above, I haven't experienced a single crash yet.

It's only been 3 days so far without crashes, so I might be celebrating too soon. But my rig suffered from daily crashes, so I'm carefully optimistic.

EDIT: sigh... nevermind. Crashed today.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021
Hi everyone,

since yesterday I'm facing this issue as well, quite often.
The good thing about it is, that I can reproduce it, 100%.
Everytime I start or quit EVGA Precision X1, the screen goes black and recovers after a few seconds.
I assume that some standard process with the GPU is triggered everytime X1 is started or closed, which causes the error to happen.
Additional, it happens randomly as well, e.g. while watching YT or Amazon prime, so far not during gaming.
So far I didn't find a solution, but also didn't try all of the mentioned possible fixes.
I'm running my PC since October last year and it's the first time I'm having this specific problem (X1 was installed from the beginning), but i was facing other "random issues" before, like screen doesn't turn on during booting or after starting from sleep mode, every few days. (a new restart fixes that so far)
After work I will continue testing and update you if anything helps for my system.

If the strong reproducibility with EVGA Precision X1 rings a bell for anyone, please feel free to join the discussion and suggest some stuff I could try out.

Thanks a lot!

My system:
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra (latest driver)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) (Bios 1804, newer beta available)
RAM: 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit (running with the provided XMP profile)
PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power 750W
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021
Well, that went faster than I expected.
In a linked thread I read sth. about ASUS Armory Crate and LED Setup causing the problem.
So I deactivated all the LED features and AURA Sync in the tool and there are no more black screens when opening / closing EVGA Precision X1.
Reactivating the LED settings will bring back the issues, so this is a confirmed solution for my system.
I hope it helps someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.