Question [Hang/Freeze/Crash] - Event ID 14 nvlddmkm, AMD+NVIDIA

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020
This thread is for if your issue occurs sporadically and randomly (from once every week(s) to once every month(s)). If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue.

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE QUESTIONS, A FIX OR RELEVANT ADDITIONAL INFO as this will otherwise flood the thread is it did with the previous one. Use the poll instead to add your +1.

Introduction:
This has been a long going thread from Reddit which I was the owner of.
The thread is almost 6 months old, meaning it will most likely archive and I am getting notifications from other people having the issue almost every other day. I decided to compile (300+ comments) the info from that thread and post it here.

Issue Description:
As stated above, this issue occurs sporadically: you can be gaming, editing, or watching a Youtube video, it doesn’t seem to have correlation. On average it will happen once every 3 weeks for me.
When the error occurs, the computer will begin to stutter, your inputs will be extremely jerky/delayed and sometimes the screen will go black with only the cursor displaying. This makes it impossible to use the computer while it occurs.
The issue will sometimes resolve itself (can take from 1 to 15 minutes) and sometimes last too long for it to be worth waiting, meaning I will manually crash my computer.

There seems to be a correlation between having a NVIDIA GPU and an AMD Ryzen CPU, however, (very) few have described the issue happening on a different configuration.

Last time I had the issue: [2020-03-07]
(YYYY,MM,DD).

Event Viewer Error:
Event ID 14 - nvlddmkm
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video3
0cec(3098) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Contacts:
Others and I have attempted contacting both AMD & NVIDIA here is each of their answers (broadly):
AMD: Ensure that you have updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard and are using stock settings. They think it's mostly an issue related to the graphic's card. It should be on NVIDIA's side to fix this. It could also be related to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2665946/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows-7 (which is related to windows 10 as well).
NVIDIA (info from Reddit user u/faildude7): “[...] I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multi-threading in Ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes.” + “he told me that and it's pretty bad since this error seems like it's 6 years old at least so I don't see them fixing it any time soon, this just was more popular with the RTX series since he told me that it's more common with these graphics but if you search info you can see people complaining for years.”

Fixes
This is a list of attempted and not attempted fixes mentioned by some users from the thread mentioned above. The problem with this issue is also not knowing when the issue will happen. Someone can declare a fix but we don't truly know about whether it works or not after a few months of waiting (as the issue occurs so sporadically). Running generic stress tests will also not make the issue occur.

Attempted Fixes:
  1. RMA (Replace) with the same GPU model. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  2. Update drivers. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  3. Use stock settings. This does not fix the issue. (from AMD)
  4. Disabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (from u/3feetHair)
  5. Enabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  6. Setting your Power Plan to AMD’s “High Performance” (from u/Injuis)
  7. Setting Memory Frequency to the correct frequency through BIOS (from u/NovalAcanthocephala6)
  8. Change your GPU power mode to “Maximum Performance”. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power Management mode. Many users have mentioned this working (from u/eatwritelaugh) [fix personally attempted on 2020/04/16]
  9. DDUd and reinstall drivers. This does not fix the issue. (from u/Aravind92)
Potential Fixes:
  1. Update BIOS for Chipset & Motherboard. (This has been attempted by some and didn’t fix the issue, however it could still be a potential fix in the future.)
  2. Reset Windows Power Options (from u/Aravind92)
  3. Disable HW Acceleration in Firefox (from u/Aravind92)
  4. RMA (replacing) with a different PSU. This has apparently fixed the issue for one user, however the user had an intel CPU. (from u/Speedfreakz)
  5. Replacing every component in your computer seems to work (which admittedly is not a fix).
  6. Set your RAM to “Power Down Enabled/mode” to disable and “Gear Down Mode” enabled. (from u/Gigakv)
Other Info compiled from user comments on the previous thread:
  • u/sprousaTM has mentioned this only occurring when the PC is idle.
  • u/ponybeu5 has mentioned changing from a 1080 Strix to a 2080 Super EVGA and then starting getting the issue (with AMD 3900X).
  • u/RafaMarioFan has said the following: Started with this setup: GT1030+ used A320+ ryzen3600 + 500W psu (that doesn't have 80plus), changed to a Galax 1660 and started having the error. Replaced PSU for a Corssair CX 550 (80p bronze) which didn’t fix the error. Went back to the GT1030. Bought a RTX 2060S which caused the issue again. Then changed from A320 to a B450 which didn’t fix the issue.
  • A few users have mentioned the issue only occurring a few months after having their PC built. (I personally don’t remember)
  • u/Civil_Specter has mentioned a fix, however it seems like their issue was occurring consistently when gaming, which is different from what a majority of people are getting and most likely a different issue:
    • Use AMD Ryzen Master to disable SMT (Simultaneous Multi threading)
    • Downloaded a program called Project Lasso to improve gaming performance.
    • Used EVGA Precision X1 software to make a custom GPU profile with “Boost Lock” enabled. Which keeps your GPU from idle.
  • u/Gigakv has provided the following info: Can confirm it's still an issue with Ryzen 3000 + Turing
    • Ryzen 2600 + RTX 2060 - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + GTX 1070 TI - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + RTX 2060 that worked fine with the Ryzen 2600 - GPU crashing when using hardware acceleration \ idle. No issues during gaming or stress testing.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with hardware acceleration.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with the GPU switching from idle to performance mode.
  • u/MBDdk mentioned that the issue might’ve been fixed in the AMD driver update 20-2-2: “Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.”
My Full Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4-3200 [16GB x 4]
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W80
Case: NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5” 7200 RPM

List of a portion of reported setups with the issue from the reddit thread:
  • u/faildude7: Ryzen 9 3950X + RTX 2080Ti + G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz + Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro
  • u/rimokonman: Ryzen 3700X + NVIDIA 2070S
  • u/eatwritelaugh: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2070 Super + Adata 3200mhz 8x2 + MSI B450 Carbon
  • u/sprousaTM: Ryzen 3800X + RTX 2080 + 16GB Trident RAM + 1200watt corsair power supply (+custom watercooling)
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x + MSI Tomohawk B450 Max + gtx 1660 ti + Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz + cm mwe v2 550w + Acer VG240YP.
  • u/QueBugCheckEx: Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti
  • u/PentaChicken: Ryzen 5 3600X and RTX 2070 Super
  • u/Skastrike09: Ryzen 3600 + NVidia 2060
  • u/iksargodzilla: ryzen 3700x + rtx 2060 super + tuf gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard + 2x8gb ram
  • u/OOO639: 3700x and a 2080 super
  • u/clockwork000: 3900X + 2070S
  • u/ Dyeneks: RTX 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 3700X
  • u/TheChozoKnight: RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 3700X + Asus X570F Mobo
  • u/impmallet: 2080ti + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 Aurus Elite
  • u/fluidzreddit: Msi trio 2080ti @ stock + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 master (f11 bios). Ram - Crucial ballistix sport 3200 cas 16 @ xmp
  • u/kaimenlau: Ryzen 3950x + rtx 2080 ti
  • u/NovelAcanthocephala6: 3950x + 2080 super
  • u/MBDdk: Ryzen 5 3600 + NVIDIA RTX 1660S
  • u/Speedfreakz: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 1 + Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (TU104-450) @ 300 MHz + Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TBCougar STX 750 power supply.+ 2x 16gb HyperX Predator Rgb memory
  • u/yanboz: 3950X + 2080Ti
  • u/Tounushi: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Dual Evo OC + Asus Prime x370-Pro mobo (BIOS v.4801) + 750W power source + AMD R7 3700X + 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (running 2400) + M.2 SSD OS drive + SSD and HDD gaming and storage drives, respectively
  • u/Skastrike09: RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, and X570 AORUS ELITE
  • u/Oren1: Ryzen 5 3600 + Rtx 2060 super
  • u/rickgolds: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 + RAM Trident Z with Samsung B-Die
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomohawk B450 Max, gtx 1660 ti, Corsair Vengence LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz, cm mwe v2 550w, Acer VG240YP.
  • u/MrSheep_: 1660ti + Ryzen 5 3600.
  • u/KM1k92: R9 3900x + RTX 2060 SUPER
  • u/Sanastro: i9 9900k + Zotac 2080ti
  • u/Flush535: 3700X + 2070S
  • u/3feetHair: Ryzen 2700 + GTX 1660
  • u/Sp0KI: 3700x + x470 + 2070
  • u/ThatOneCrazyFriend: 3900X + 2070 Super
  • u/calscks: 3900X + RTX 2080
  • u/hop-limit: 3800x + rtx 2070s
  • And many others…
Reddit thread: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

Aug 20, 2021
This thread speaks to me on a level other humans probably wouldn't understand. I apologize in advance for the word wall, but I feel like everyone here might understand and it would be nice to vent to some souls that might empathize.

I received my Aurora 10 Ryzen about a year ago (Late August/Early Sep 2020). ryzen 3950x, 32gb RAM, 2080 TI, 1000w PSU, water cooled CPU, the "works" as far as I was aware. It is my first official dive into the PC gaming world. Used it out of the box without issue for months. 144p primary monitor, 1080p secondary monitor. Never messed with any of the clocking settings. Literally just plugged it in and started playing and did my basic maintenance (keep it clean, keep drivers updated, updated bios once, etc.)

Suddenly, in June of 2021, I got my first "crash" while playing and streaming ARK. Seemed like a weird one off, since I'd been playing and streaming like that since February (that's 4 whole months of no issues). At first I even thought it might be the game (because you know.... Wildcard despises it's W10 port of the game). Then, it happened again... and then it happened with Overwatch and gave me a "rendering device lost" error. "It" isn't a full PC crash mind you; my screens turn off, but then turn back on to show the bsod'ed game while all my other programs (discord, etc.) are still up. So I may not know much, but it FEELS like the GPU is resetting. No idea why. Temps have never run higher than 84C, and again, clocking settings all factory. After my "GPU resets" In task manager, you'd see a random SUPER SPIKE in my 3d usage. Presumably the cause for my GPU resetting? No idea. No idea why it is happening. No idea why it started happening after MONTHS of playing and utilizing the PC in the same way I have been since receiving it. And this "GPU reset" is totally RANDOM.... at least it was, up until this week.

Before this week, I was not able to reliably predict if/when it would happen. It was like flipping a coin (which is a terrible feeling when it comes to gaming and streaming). A few weeks ago I even did a stream test and played both Ark and OW for 3 hours each and the GPU never reset. However, this last week it has gotten so bad that I haven't even been able to play anything. My GPU reset after two matches in OW and then it would reset the second I'd even tried starting the game. Even if I power cycled the whole PC, it [GPU]would crash upon launch, or within 30 minutes.

I've done all the tests that Dell offers on their website for all my components. I've done each of the video ones multiple times. Finally, I downloaded the HEAVEN benchmarker and ran it. Everything was fine for all of these test. After my issues with OW this past week, I decided to run the Dell video test WHILE having OW opened in the main menu. This was my only attempt at intentionally replicating the issue, and BOY did it not like it. Monitors flashed and reset a number of times until finally I got a FULL on BSOD with an error along the lines of video tdr failure nvlddmkm.sys

After scouring the internet and finding this thread, along with many others using the keywords of all this stuff that I experience, I tried a few things, and last night, I was able to play OW with my friends for 3 hours and not gpu crash. I'm still apprehensive, because I'm a pessimist at heart, but I hope to maybe redo my stream tests with Ark and OW this weekend to see if I get any crashes. Here is what I changed:

1. I changed the power management option in NVIDIA Control Panel, setting it to maximum performance as encouraged by some in this thread.
  2. Using Dell's Alienware software "Command Center" I brought my Core Clock down to -51MHZ (because of some random internet post that suggested it would help with the "rendering device lost" issue).
  3. Again, using AWCC, I capped my thermal limit to 79C, because the internet makes it seem like 84 is too much for the 2080ti, and I'm at a point that I'm scared I have fried my card due to letting it just run at factory defaults since I received the damn thing.
It was under the above conditions that I was able to play OW last night at high (ish) settings, at 144hz on my 1440p monitor, for 3 hours, just like I was used to before June. Going to test ARK tonight, and try streaming as well. I stream off the same PC using SLOBS. I'm not concerned with this part because it has never been a problem up until June, and the "gpu resets" would even occur when NOT streaming.

During my tests this weekend, I'm going to try to set the core clock back to 0. Frankly, I don't even know what that does but the "less" I have to have modified, the better I will feel. I'll leave the temp cap up though, because the internet has me scared over temps.

My friend, who is more experience with PC's thinks there is a chance my card is bad. I will probably file a support ticket with Dell anyway. Last night was a huge boost to my mood, but I'm not going to fool myself by thinking that everything is OK. Just figured the more info I have to provide Dell, the better, and if I can make my PC playable, even if something still isn't quite right, then I'll be a bit less depressed about it.

I welcome any thoughts or questions anyone has. I'll let you know how this weekend goes, if that's something anyone care for.

Thank you!

[edit 1: didn't specify my CPU clearly enough]

This thread speaks to me on a level other humans probably wouldn't understand. I apologize in advance for the word wall, but I feel like everyone here might understand and it would be nice to vent to some souls that might empathize.

I received my Aurora 10 Ryzen about a year ago (Late August/Early Sep 2020). ryzen 3950x, 32gb RAM, 2080 TI, 1000w PSU, water cooled CPU, the "works" as far as I was aware. It is my first official dive into the PC gaming world. Used it out of the box without issue for months. 144p primary monitor, 1080p secondary monitor. Never messed with any of the clocking settings. Literally just plugged it in and started playing and did my basic maintenance (keep it clean, keep drivers updated, updated bios once, etc.)

Suddenly, in June of 2021, I got my first "crash" while playing and streaming ARK. Seemed like a weird one off, since I'd been playing and streaming like that since February (that's 4 whole months of no issues). At first I even thought it might be the game (because you know.... Wildcard despises it's W10 port of the game). Then, it happened again... and then it happened with Overwatch and gave me a "rendering device lost" error. "It" isn't a full PC crash mind you; my screens turn off, but then turn back on to show the bsod'ed game while all my other programs (discord, etc.) are still up. So I may not know much, but it FEELS like the GPU is resetting. No idea why. Temps have never run higher than 84C, and again, clocking settings all factory. After my "GPU resets" In task manager, you'd see a random SUPER SPIKE in my 3d usage. Presumably the cause for my GPU resetting? No idea. No idea why it is happening. No idea why it started happening after MONTHS of playing and utilizing the PC in the same way I have been since receiving it. And this "GPU reset" is totally RANDOM.... at least it was, up until this week.

Before this week, I was not able to reliably predict if/when it would happen. It was like flipping a coin (which is a terrible feeling when it comes to gaming and streaming). A few weeks ago I even did a stream test and played both Ark and OW for 3 hours each and the GPU never reset. However, this last week it has gotten so bad that I haven't even been able to play anything. My GPU reset after two matches in OW and then it would reset the second I'd even tried starting the game. Even if I power cycled the whole PC, it [GPU]would crash upon launch, or within 30 minutes.

I've done all the tests that Dell offers on their website for all my components. I've done each of the video ones multiple times. Finally, I downloaded the HEAVEN benchmarker and ran it. Everything was fine for all of these test. After my issues with OW this past week, I decided to run the Dell video test WHILE having OW opened in the main menu. This was my only attempt at intentionally replicating the issue, and BOY did it not like it. Monitors flashed and reset a number of times until finally I got a FULL on BSOD with an error along the lines of video tdr failure nvlddmkm.sys

After scouring the internet and finding this thread, along with many others using the keywords of all this stuff that I experience, I tried a few things, and last night, I was able to play OW with my friends for 3 hours and not gpu crash. I'm still apprehensive, because I'm a pessimist at heart, but I hope to maybe redo my stream tests with Ark and OW this weekend to see if I get any crashes. Here is what I changed:

1. I changed the power management option in NVIDIA Control Panel, setting it to maximum performance as encouraged by some in this thread.
  2. Using Dell's Alienware software "Command Center" I brought my Core Clock down to -51MHZ (because of some random internet post that suggested it would help with the "rendering device lost" issue).
  3. Again, using AWCC, I capped my thermal limit to 79C, because the internet makes it seem like 84 is too much for the 2080ti, and I'm at a point that I'm scared I have fried my card due to letting it just run at factory defaults since I received the damn thing.
It was under the above conditions that I was able to play OW last night at high (ish) settings, at 144hz on my 1440p monitor, for 3 hours, just like I was used to before June. Going to test ARK tonight, and try streaming as well. I stream off the same PC using SLOBS. I'm not concerned with this part because it has never been a problem up until June, and the "gpu resets" would even occur when NOT streaming.

During my tests this weekend, I'm going to try to set the core clock back to 0. Frankly, I don't even know what that does but the "less" I have to have modified, the better I will feel. I'll leave the temp cap up though, because the internet has me scared over temps.

My friend, who is more experience with PC's thinks there is a chance my card is bad. I will probably file a support ticket with Dell anyway. Last night was a huge boost to my mood, but I'm not going to fool myself by thinking that everything is OK. Just figured the more info I have to provide Dell, the better, and if I can make my PC playable, even if something still isn't quite right, then I'll be a bit less depressed about it.

I welcome any thoughts or questions anyone has. I'll let you know how this weekend goes, if that's something anyone care for.

Thank you!

[edit 1: didn't specify my CPU clearly enough]

In would really start a brand new topic for your issue.

Sep 6, 2021
I've had the Event ID 14 Error with my Intel system (ASRock Phantom Gaming 4-CB/9700k) and it persisted after upgrading my RAM (I was using incompatible mixed sticks), and changing out my motherboard/CPU to an ASUS TUF Gaming x570-Plus/3900x. Using my old Intel parts, this error would cause some stuttering and then a majority of the time the entire system would hard reset. Using my AMD system, it doesn't reset but it still stutters a little.

Sep 9, 2021
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
CPU: i9 9900kf
Motherboard: z390-e gaming
RAM: Corsair dominator platinum rgb 2x16gb

Hello, i've had this problem since 4 months ago and i'm going crazy on how to replicate this issue and pinpoint what's the problem since it only occurs randomly once in a week or more, and only when im watching twitch, youtube, or some movies thru mpc-hc.
I got this problem after i bought and replaced my RAM from balistix elite 2x8 to corsair 2x16, so my first thought was the ram is bad, so i did memtest, nothing came up.
Tried reinstalling windows, changing xmp to 1 or 2 or disabled, enable/disabling hardware acceleration, and bunch of other stuffs, problem still persist.

3 weeks ago i tried a couple things at once and this issue doesn't happen anymore, and hopefully it's really gone for good.
Here's what i did
  1. DDUd and reinstall drivers ( without geforce experience )
  2. I read on this reddit thread that the cause could be because of some apps trying to control RGB lighting, i did installed ICUE software on the previous windows, so i'm not sure if the settings on the software are still on the ram when i reinstall windows, i reinstall icue and unchecked enable plugins. Source: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/EVGA/comments/m862r8/a_solution_for_those_experiencing_event_id_14/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
  3. Update my bios to latest version

Sep 28, 2021
Hello. I started seeing this issue when I added a 4th monitor. I've had 3 for awhile now and recently plugged into the last port on my 2080ti. When my monitors go to sleep, then I wake them up, the nvidia display driver crashes with this. When I unplug the 4th monitor, the issue goes away. I can also use all 4 monitors with games, movies, many windows open and not have a crash. It is only when the monitors go to sleep and I return to the PC and move the mouse or hit a keyboard key to wake them up. The PC itself is not in sleep / hibernation yet. More testing is needed but it looks like it only crashes 1 time, then is fine after that until I restart. I am clueless what to do.

Code:
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.19043 Build 19043
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    32.0 GB
Name    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

NVIDIA Driver 472.12

Display 1: Displayport to Displayport - 2560 x 1440
Display 2: HDMI to HDMI - 1920 x 1080
Display 3: Displayport to HDMI - 1920 x 1080
Display 4: Displayport to Displayport - 2560 x 1440
(GPUend to Monitorend)

Code:
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
CMDre 00000006 00000200 00000000 00000005 0000000a

\Device\Video3
CMDre 00000004 00000200 00000000 00000005 0000000a

\Device\Video3
CMDre 00000001 00000200 00000000 00000005 0000000a

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Code:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Oct 4, 2021
In the past month I had like 5 weird freezes during gaming and watching YouTube. Yesterday it happend twice and once today when I was playing Smite + listening to music. It's completely random,I had gaming session for 9 hours in Deathloop and everything was fine despite the hardware being used to the max. It started month ago,happend like 3 times. Updated Windows,GPU and CPU drivers and it disappeared until yesterday. Max temps of GPU are no higher than 80 celsius (this RTX 2060 model is unfortunately really hot so Im quite used to it) and CPU is 55 celsius max when gaming. My build has like a year and 3 months. Im trying to keep everything as dust free as possible so there is that. What might be causing this issue?
My specs are:
GPU - RTX 2060 VENTUS XS 6G OC
RAM - Patriot Viper 4, DDR4 (2 x 8 GB)
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF
MOBO - ASRock B450M PRO4
PSU - SilentiumPC Vero L3 500W
HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1 TB
SSD - GoodRam CX400 512 GB
Windows 10
The error is exactly \Device\Video3 CMDre 00000000 00003ffc ffffffff 00000007 00ffffff 0000000002003000000000000E00AAC0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Sometimes it just turns the screen black and starts working and sometimes it reboots PC entirely. Im really sorry for my broken english and inconvenient post format but im stressed as all hell. Once again an RTX paired with AMD...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
In the past month I had like 5 weird freezes during gaming and watching YouTube. Yesterday it happend twice and once today when I was playing Smite + listening to music. It's completely random,I had gaming session for 9 hours in Deathloop and everything was fine despite the hardware being used to the max. It started month ago,happend like 3 times. Updated Windows,GPU and CPU drivers and it disappeared until yesterday. Max temps of GPU are no higher than 80 celsius (this RTX 2060 model is unfortunately really hot so Im quite used to it) and CPU is 55 celsius max when gaming. My build has like a year and 3 months. Im trying to keep everything as dust free as possible so there is that. What might be causing this issue?
My specs are:
GPU - RTX 2060 VENTUS XS 6G OC
RAM - Patriot Viper 4, DDR4 (2 x 8 GB)
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF
MOBO - ASRock B450M PRO4
PSU - SilentiumPC Vero L3 500W
HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1 TB
SSD - GoodRam CX400 512 GB
Windows 10
The error is exactly \Device\Video3 CMDre 00000000 00003ffc ffffffff 00000007 00ffffff 0000000002003000000000000E00AAC0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Sometimes it just turns the screen black and starts working and sometimes it reboots PC entirely. Im really sorry for my broken english and inconvenient post format but im stressed as all hell. Once again an RTX paired with AMD...

I haave a suggestion for you, you may have done it already, but if not, try using display driver uninstaller to clear your existing drivers and then install the newest one.

Oct 4, 2021
I haave a suggestion for you, you may have done it already, but if not, try using display driver uninstaller to clear your existing drivers and then install the newest one.

I actually consulted few people on Nvidia forum and my friend who has pretty much identical PC setup as I do and it's pretty much something wrong with the drivers from July onwards. I was fooling around even viewer to actually see if I had that error before and I found that I had them twice before September - once in July and once in August - the funniest thing is that the exact same pattern was found by my friend in his even viewer. I doubt we would have gotten our hardware damaged the same way at the same time so it must be something related to the drivers. The guy on Nvidia forum said that the driver from June were the last one stable but It has been 3 days without any crashing and im kinda tired with fooling around so for now Im just going to pray that Nvidia fixes their <Mod Edit>.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 28, 2021
I discovered if I restart my graphics driver after my PC turns on (Win+Ctrl+Shift+B). The crash when my monitors go to sleep does not happen. At all. I created a script to do this 45 seconds after boot and have not had a nvidia display driver crash since. What the heck? Why? This has to mean it's the driver or software maybe? I'm going to fresh install Windows 11 here soon and see if a fresh load fixes it.

X-FI

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
So here goes... I bought ASUS TUF OC 3070Ti and 10850K 3 months ago. Been gaming at max temp. of 90 degrees (spikes sometimes to 100) on stock speed CPU (Hyper 212 doesn't cut it) and 85 degrees of GPU heavily OC'ed, and I have 700W PSU that has only 650W on 12V rail (High Power Simplicity 700W). No CTDs or stability problems, very long gaming sessions etc.

Then I realized I'm torturing my CPU and GPU, even though they are at their max safe levels, I bought a new case Cougar Panzer S with AIO CPU cooler Cougar Aqua 240, which they both are awesome, I really liked it. Before that my case was really tight, low air space, hard to work on etc.

And bam event id 13 problems arose when gaming under heavy load. (https://docs.nvidia.com/deploy/xid-errors/index.html)
\Device\Video3
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 4, TPC 0, SM 1): Illegal Instruction Encoding
\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x5247b0=0xc0009 0x5247b4=0x0 0x5247a8=0xf812b60 0x5247ac=0x1104

1. So at first I saw my tempered glass panel was heating pretty much hot due to GPU and glass is an insulator of heat. Therefore I looked at the GPU-Z sensors while in gaming and saw the hotspot reaches 105-110 degrees. Clearly it keeps the heat more even with the extra fans.
  2. Then I thought, added more fans and AIO may just hit the PSU limit in total; thus crashes.
  3. To note, my GPU is saggy when mounted in PCIE, from the very first day I mounted it to my old case, but no problem in operating as they designed to be somewhat flexible (see Nvidia's physical stress test video).
Annd my fix is to lower my GPU power and voltage limits; almost no perf. loss but huge reduction in temps and power from 330W to 290W. No crashes now. I wonder what's the issue here? Power (PSU is faulty or not enough juice) or GPU temp. due to glass panel. I don't believe GPU or PCIE bus is faulty though, as some others say.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021
Hey there, I was experiencing the event id 14 error constantly for a few months running a 3080 with a 5800x on a B550 Motherboard. For me, it would only occur in a single game, which was baffling to me, as from what I had seen it was happening to others in a variety of situations.

Originally I had thought it was a driver/OS update that had caused the issue, but over the months did not get it solved with all of the updates for drivers, chipset drivers, and windows updates.

I eventually managed to identify that it was my NVME drive that the game was installed on that was causing the issue. I moved everything off of it, tested a different game, and lo and behold, it event id 14 appeared again. Since moving everything off of it I haven't had a crash since, and hope to see this issue fixed at some point.

Hopefully others may find this useful, until it is fixed either by NVIDIA or AMD.

Reactions: fluidz

X-FI

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Well, still going strong, no crashes... Just a little bit perf. drop. I lost 55MHz of boost and that's all. Before, due to the high temps. ,my GPU was dropping down to 2030-2050MHz, now its dropping to 1995-2005 MHz. I also removed VRAM OC, though that was not recommended due to the nature of how GDDR6X works. All in all, no visible perf. loss to me.

nizx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2015
Hello. Ive been dealing with similar/same issue from months now and im kinda reaching an dead end. At first i thought its just buggy nvidia drivers and kinda ignored it but eventually i looked around and after trying quite a few different drivers i began trying to find a way to fix it.

My issue = When im playing a game (WoW most of the times) my system randomly freezes and screen goes black, then 2-3 sec later everything recovers. Sometimes win crashes and i have to restart it from the task manager. No BSOD or perma locks. In the event viewer i can see the event ID 14 nvlddmkm crash.

So far i tried pretty much everything that people suggested but nothing helps. The best results i got were when i lowered my gpu clock by 150mhz (2 days later i reduced the GPU power limit by 10%) after that i had no crashes for 4 days until yesterday when i got 2 black screen freezes/recoveries. In one of them i had quite a few event 14 logs at the same time, other one had none.

Today i decided to scan my RAM for errors with memtest86, after 6hrs it found no issues.

Then i completely wiped my windows and did a fresh W10 install. So far no issues but i have the feeling that it will come back... If that happen i guess its time for a new GPU? Or could it be some kind of Windows/nvidia/AMD issue?

PC spec
Win10 21H1
Ryzen 9 5900X + Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
MSI B550 Tomahawk
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16
MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC
Corsair RM850x
SSD Kingston 480GB + Samsung 860 1TB Evo
M.2 Gigabyte AORUS 1TB Gen4

Nov 23, 2021
Hello,
I think I suffer from same issues.
I compiled my problems here, so I won't litter this thread.
I haven't tried BIOS update, maybe this is the way.

Dec 8, 2021
Hello, my gaming laptop experiencing this for like the last 5 months. Just want to give info about my laptop spec

Gigabyte Aero 15 (2017)
i7 7700HQ
GTX 1060

Sent to service and they checked hardware and no problem found.
I googled about this since last week and it seems this also could be due to voltage problem. I do experience that if I use the battery, it won't crash, but occasionally frame per sec will down. It looks like occassionally the Nvidia GPU shutdown itself. Tried fresh install, old driver, new driver, but still no solution.

Any new info I will edit this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.