Question Hard crashes on brand new MSI Mech RX 6700 XT

Nov 17, 2022
Hello i just got my new rx 6700 xt yesterday and i've been having a terrible time with hard crashes instantly rebooting my pc during gameplay.

specs:

MOBO:gigabyte b450m ds3h
CPU: ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: corsair vengence 16gb running at 3200 with xmp enabled
SSD: wd blue 500gb and samsung evo 500gb
GPU: MSI Mech Radeon Rx 6700 xt 12gb gddr6
Power Supply: 850watt evga modular
BIOS: f62

After the crashes i immediately installed 22.9.1 display drivers since i thought it was just a new driver problem with mw2, it still crashed so i launched apex legends and it did fine for about 20 min of gameplay then rebooted, and progressively the crashes happen much quicker than before. so i installed the f62 bios update which before i had f61 to run my 5000 series cpu, i applied gen 3 pcie instead of auto and enabled xmp for my ram. i was checking my thermals the hottest it got to was 58 degrees celcius. so i knew it wasnt overheated then i remembered my pc i plugged into an outlet splitter so i connected it directly to the outlet instead. It still crashed.

Event viewer says, "
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 4

The details view of this entry contains further information."
Source: WHEA-logger
Event ID: 18

Also the processor apic id changes almost everytime first time it was 10, then 0, then 5, then 8, then 4, then 4 for the most recent crash. I also see a ton of "warnings from kernal power and kernal PnP, im not sure what these are but i've been trying to find solutions all morning for the past 5 hours and im just stumped on what to do next.

Thanks for your time.

Ralston18

Titan
Drivers reinstalled - correct? Did you do the download, reinstall, and reconfiguration yourself versus some third party installer or tool?

If the latter, try another reinstall but do the reinstall yourself. No third party installers or tools.

= = = =

While gaming use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

First boot and watch without gaming. Then when all is stable/static drag the window to one side and game as usual while watching the tool window.

Look for what changes: what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. Hopefully you will spot some change or pattern that leads up to the crash.

= = = =

Event Viewer noted.

Also look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards (especially that new RX 6700 XT), RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for any signs of damage, bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened areas, missing or loose screws, swollen components, sagging, etc.. Use a bright flashlight and look carefully.

Nov 17, 2022
Drivers reinstalled - correct? Did you do the download, reinstall, and reconfiguration yourself versus some third party installer or tool?

If the latter, try another reinstall but do the reinstall yourself. No third party installers or tools.

= = = =

While gaming use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

First boot and watch without gaming. Then when all is stable/static drag the window to one side and game as usual while watching the tool window.

Look for what changes: what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. Hopefully you will spot some change or pattern that leads up to the crash.

= = = =

Event Viewer noted.

Also look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards (especially that new RX 6700 XT), RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for any signs of damage, bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened areas, missing or loose screws, swollen components, sagging, etc.. Use a bright flashlight and look carefully.

yes I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and set everything up myself, I had all my logging info in my second monitor nothing abnormal was happening leading to the crash, I did re seat the gpu and plugged everything back in and checked my connections. I’m currently reinstalling windows since I’ve had a few power outages at my house from the snow and lines going down so hopefully I had some corrupt files in windows and this fixes it, I’ll try to do some more of your recommendations and I’ll update on how it going after the fresh instal of windows. I appreciate your time and thoughts thank you.