[SOLVED] Hard decision on GPU need advice

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
I know 4090 is the best GPU u can get but i don’t think i need it and 1.7 grand for gpu not into that .
So i’ve been looking for many benchmarks for many games … they all so different. i am planing to build new gaming pc 1440p 240hz i got almost all part’s selected but the GPU is the hardest choice for me. Am looking for best 1440p GPU in market to get best performance. I m more into competitive games like LOL, CS Go , Apex , COD , RB6. I m planning to put Ryzen 9 7900x CPU what GPU would you recommend me to get best performance( highest FPS and smoothest gameplay) ?

Solution
https://postimg.cc/dZ6tfT3Q
Honestly i think i decided to go for NVIDIA for first time in my life the RT , DLLS etc are available and better than AMD , pricing looks good (not good its overpriced ) but i mean against 7900 xtx its about 1400/1500£ or 4080 rtx custom also 1300,1400£ so Fe version seems legit good and custom 4080 is maybe better in few fps and little cooler in temperature and less noise but i don’t mind it since it won’t melt or have airport sounds from PC case.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
You have rather answered your own question.

It is important to note that if you are choosing parts to be this performance driven, you also need to select the best of everything else as well. This isn't always answered by price paid, but in this market, it isn't a bad indicator. You are going to be wanting the fastest low latency RAM, fastest storage, robust motherboard, and cap it all off with a stable power supply that can match the load. Alongside that you will need a case with good airflow or water-cooling options.

There are some users here with not only experience with said type of systems, but also great at making suggestions within parameters you set. You have mentioned what your target performance is desired to be.

What is your budget and where are you shopping?

I’m running a 1440p 165hz screen. While I know I am probably not manning the refresh rate I’m running a ryzen 7 5800x with 32gb ddr4, and an rtx 3080. For 1440p it’s fine.

What kind of budget do you want to be at? For 1440p the lowest I’d recommend would be an rx 6700xt or rtx 3070. Those should give decent performance for not a lot of money. If you want a bit more performance I’d look at the 3080 or 6800xt, then moving up towards a 6900 or 6950xt. You could look at a 3090 but the ones of those I see these days seem over priced. For 1440p I think the rtx 4070ti or rx 7900xt would be good as well.

The first things to ask is what is your budget? Have you purchased any parts yet? I’d say start with a whole system budget and post that here and let us know what you are planning, then we might be able to assist more.

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
You have rather answered your own question.

It is important to note that if you are choosing parts to be this performance driven, you also need to select the best of everything else as well. This isn't always answered by price paid, but in this market, it isn't a bad indicator. You are going to be wanting the fastest low latency RAM, fastest storage, robust motherboard, and cap it all off with a stable power supply that can match the load. Alongside that you will need a case with good airflow or water-cooling options.

There are some users here with not only experience with said type of systems, but also great at making suggestions within parameters you set. You have mentioned what your target performance is desired to be.

What is your budget and where are you shopping?
Thanks for your answer
My budget as i picked parts is about 2.5-3 grand since i will buy monitor and other gaming accessories such as keyboard , mouse and headset.
As ram i choose G.Skill trident Z5 DDR5 6400 MHZ
SSD - i guess WD black SN850X because samsung 990 has issues with health that dies within few months
Case is Phanteks Eclipse G360A MID tower Case
As cooling i choose Corsair ICUE H150I Elite Capelix
PSU im going Corsair 850w or 1000w not sure if i need more since PSU calculators are very inaccurate
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming
CPU as i mention ryzen 9 7900x since 7950 is much expensive and little performance difference
GPU RX 7900 XTX or 4080 or (recommended in this thread)
That’s approximately the build i m not planning to 4k Gaming just 1440 but i want best performance for 240hz in competitive games just so i have atleast that 240 fps capped . GPU and CPU is hardest part i m building that pc for years not planning to upgrade or changed early that’s why im trying to get best parts only problem is GPU since 4090 value per fps increase not looking worth

Last edited:

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
I’m running a 1440p 165hz screen. While I know I am probably not manning the refresh rate I’m running a ryzen 7 5800x with 32gb ddr4, and an rtx 3080. For 1440p it’s fine.

What kind of budget do you want to be at? For 1440p the lowest I’d recommend would be an rx 6700xt or rtx 3070. Those should give decent performance for not a lot of money. If you want a bit more performance I’d look at the 3080 or 6800xt, then moving up towards a 6900 or 6950xt. You could look at a 3090 but the ones of those I see these days seem over priced. For 1440p I think the rtx 4070ti or rx 7900xt would be good as well.

The first things to ask is what is your budget? Have you purchased any parts yet? I’d say start with a whole system budget and post that here and let us know what you are planning, then we might be able to assist more.
My budget and parts are comment down below i purchased only case since parts might vary

Reactions: artk2219

DustyDanglerX

Distinguished
I know 4090 is the best GPU u can get but i don’t think i need it and 1.7 grand for gpu not into that .
So i’ve been looking for many benchmarks for many games … they all so different. i am planing to build new gaming pc 1440p 240hz i got almost all part’s selected but the GPU is the hardest choice for me. Am looking for best 1440p GPU in market to get best performance. I m more into competitive games like LOL, CS Go , Apex , COD , RB6. I m planning to put Ryzen 9 7900x CPU what GPU would you recommend me to get best performance( highest FPS and smoothest gameplay) ?
Rtx 4080 or 7900xtx if you can find them for msrp. Or last gen 3090 / 6900xt so you can max out the refresh rate on your 240hz monitor. I have a 4080 and im able to max out every game I have even with rt at 4k. At 2k you'll hit the engine cap on apex. Supposedly the 4080 is getting a small price cut soon. A cheaper variant is gonna be produced.

Reactions: himedavito

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Rtx 4080 or 7900xtx if you can find them for msrp. Or last gen 3090 / 6900xt so you can max out the refresh rate on your 240hz monitor. I have a 4080 and im able to max out every game I have even with rt at 4k. At 2k you'll hit the engine cap on apex. Supposedly the 4080 is getting a small price cut soon. A cheaper variant is gonna be produced.
Thanks for your answer wich one i look for more 4080 or 7900 xtx ( i heard that powercolor devil is the best one ). I will buy gpu and cpu last from all parts since prices may vary and drop

DustyDanglerX

Distinguished
Thanks for your answer wich one i look for more 4080 or 7900 xtx ( i heard that powercolor devil is the best one ). I will buy gpu and cpu last from all parts since prices may vary and drop

Feature wise Id say go for the rtx 4080 if you care about RT and Content creation. Power and temperature were my main deciding factor when I was deciding between the two.

On my Rtx 4080 Aero core hotspot barely hits 75c with an overclock 4k rt dlss quality + frame generation.
I also told my friend that has a 7900xtx red devil to take a screenshot of his radeon software temps at stock with Cyberpunk 2077 4k ultra + FSR 2.1 no RT open in the background so you can have a general idea of temperatures.
Since both these cards can max out all esports titles even at 4k 240hz it becomes a question of features that you want vs power and temperatures. 4080 has the whole feature package so you're not "missing out" on features.

The only problem with the 40 series is the size so you'll have to get a deep case like o11 xl , fractal torrent. Or just vertical mount it for them to fit.

As for monitors dont go with samsung they have a lot of qc issues. I used to have a oddysey g9 bought from newegg had to return twice 1st came with 8 dead pixels 2nd had vertical banding. Ended up going for an lg c2 48 Oled. No matter how many fw updates samsung drop those monitors always have issues.

For monitors Gigabyte M27Q X ,Nixeus NX-EDG27X , MSI MAG274QRF-QD , Asus ROG Swift PG27AQN or just wait for lg to drop their oled 240hz monitors at end of q1. As for cpu as kona said above wait for the x3d versions of the amd cpus to come out.

Last edited:

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Thanks for your detailed explanation and real time experience definetly 4080 has higher temperature but it doesn’t go to melting point . I am clueless till this day to choose between these two gpus since pricing is close to the same . The 4080 was FE(reference card)? Because 4080 FE price looks good against custom like asus tuf gaming etc .
7900 XTX i would go for powercolour devil since people have good experience and says that card never dies . It’s hard choice full of fake benchmarks in youtube . Atleast i think im sure that it’s either 4080 FE or 7900 XTX devil . With monitors is that i just recieved my Samsung G7 32 inch 240hz i haven’t tested it yet but if i’ll have any issues i will have opportunity to return it easily so no worries about that . Since i choosed it not by reviews but by expierience with TV i have Samsung QLed tv and the colours and graphics are insanely good i love reacting speeds( ik sounds dumb judging monitor by TV performance ) . I m gonna keep on watching videos , reading posts to choose right GPU . The reason i don’t go straight for 7900xtx is because old PC i built 2-3 yrs ago i put asus rog strix 5700xt OC , everything was like insanely good at beginning but about year later FPS and performance started to go down i felt like GPU like DE-optimized itself so never had NVIDIA card but also never heard nothing bad about NV GPUs. What you think my friend ?

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Feature wise Id say go for the rtx 4080 if you care about RT and Content creation. Power and temperature were my main deciding factor when I was deciding between the two.

On my Rtx 4080 Aero core hotspot barely hits 75c with an overclock 4k rt dlss quality + frame generation.
I also told my friend that has a 7900xtx red devil to take a screenshot of his radeon software temps at stock with Cyberpunk 2077 4k ultra + FSR 2.1 no RT open in the background so you can have a general idea of temperatures.
Since both these cards can max out all esports titles even at 4k 240hz it becomes a question of features that you want vs power and temperatures. 4080 has the whole feature package so you're not "missing out" on features.

The only problem with the 40 series is the size so you'll have to get a deep case like o11 xl , fractal torrent. Or just vertical mount it for them to fit.

As for monitors dont go with samsung they have a lot of qc issues. I used to have a oddysey g9 bought from newegg had to return twice 1st came with 8 dead pixels 2nd had vertical banding. Ended up going for an lg c2 48 Oled. No matter how many fw updates samsung drop those monitors always have issues.

For monitors Gigabyte M27Q X ,Nixeus NX-EDG27X , MSI MAG274QRF-QD , Asus ROG Swift PG27AQN or just wait for lg to drop their oled 240hz monitors at end of q1. As for cpu as kona said above wait for the x3d versions of the amd cpus to come out.

Thanks for your detailed explanation and real time experience definetly 4080 has higher temperature but it doesn’t go to melting point . I am clueless till this day to choose between these two gpus since pricing is close to the same . The 4080 was FE(reference card)? Because 4080 FE price looks good against custom like asus tuf gaming etc .
7900 XTX i would go for powercolour devil since people have good experience and says that card never dies . It’s hard choice full of fake benchmarks in youtube . Atleast i think im sure that it’s either 4080 FE or 7900 XTX devil . With monitors is that i just recieved my Samsung G7 32 inch 240hz i haven’t tested it yet but if i’ll have any issues i will have opportunity to return it easily so no worries about that . Since i choosed it not by reviews but by expierience with TV i have Samsung QLed tv and the colours and graphics are insanely good i love reacting speeds( ik sounds dumb judging monitor by TV performance ) . I m gonna keep on watching videos , reading posts to choose right GPU . The reason i don’t go straight for 7900xtx is because old PC i built 2-3 yrs ago i put asus rog strix 5700xt OC , everything was like insanely good at beginning but about year later FPS and performance started to go down i felt like GPU like DE-optimized itself so never had NVIDIA card but also never heard nothing bad about NV GPUs. What you think my friend ?
Also im planning to buy GPU approximately in March

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
Honestly i think i decided to go for NVIDIA for first time in my life the RT , DLLS etc are available and better than AMD , pricing looks good (not good its overpriced ) but i mean against 7900 xtx its about 1400/1500£ or 4080 rtx custom also 1300,1400£ so Fe version seems legit good and custom 4080 is maybe better in few fps and little cooler in temperature and less noise but i don’t mind it since it won’t melt or have airport sounds from PC case.

Solution
I would also look into an RTX 4070 Ti.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/search/?q=RTX+4070+Ti

average-fps_2560_1440.png

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...7aql1a-270-2560x1440-170-hz-monitor-vg27aql1a
ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A 27" 2560x1440 IPS HDR 170Hz G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor £398.95

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer
My budget as i picked parts is about 2.5-3 grand since i will buy monitor and other gaming accessories such as keyboard , mouse and headset.
As ram i choose G.Skill trident Z5 DDR5 6400 MHZ
SSD - i guess WD black SN850X because samsung 990 has issues with health that dies within few months
Case is Phanteks Eclipse G360A MID tower Case
As cooling i choose Corsair ICUE H150I Elite Capelix
PSU im going Corsair 850w or 1000w not sure if i need more since PSU calculators are very inaccurate
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming
CPU as i mention ryzen 9 7900x since 7950 is much expensive and little performance difference
GPU RX 7900 XTX or 4080 or (recommended in this thread)
That’s approximately the build i m not planning to 4k Gaming just 1440 but i want best performance for 240hz in competitive games just so i have atleast that 240 fps capped . GPU and CPU is hardest part i m building that pc for years not planning to upgrade or changed early that’s why im trying to get best parts only problem is GPU since 4090 value per fps increase not looking worth
btw these new 40XX cards such as the 4080 are not going to fit inside that Phanteks case. I suggest you look at a B650 board, switch up to a 7700 non X and put the savings into a decent size case. Anything outside of 8 cores / 16 threads for a gaming build is a waste of money.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-am5-motherboard-rog-strix-b650-a-gaming-wifi
ASUS ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI £287.99

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
btw these new 40XX cards such as the 4080 are not going to fit inside that Phanteks case. I suggest you look at a B650 board, switch up to a 7700 non X and put the savings into a decent size case. Anything outside of 8 cores / 16 threads for a gaming build is a waste of money.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-am5-motherboard-rog-strix-b650-a-gaming-wifi
ASUS ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI £287.99

Thanks for your answer .
Already got 9 7900x and case seems normal size why wouldn’t it fit in it shows compatibility in every site i checked 4080 FE ain’t that big the custom version is gigantic that would be issue but since i go for reference card i don’t see an issue but i might be wrong . And yes it’s not only for gaming but for other work stuff that’s why i went for best possible cpu .Board will be Asus rog strix X670-E WiFi AM5

himedavito

Commendable
Jul 20, 2020
I would also look into an RTX 4070 Ti.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/search/?q=RTX+4070+Ti

average-fps_2560_1440.png

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...7aql1a-270-2560x1440-170-hz-monitor-vg27aql1a
ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A 27" 2560x1440 IPS HDR 170Hz G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor £398.95

Appreciated your time to join discussion.
Not bad for lower budget but as u see in benchmark it’s the 30 FPS difference so it’s huge gap in performance view.