Hard Disk get incredibly slow take 5 min to open even any one directory

dilpreet singh 95

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
hi guys
i got WB element 1TB External hard disk it suddenly got freezy and make my computer lil bit slow.
also it takes 5 to 7 mins to detect i tried to copy something the copying start and freez than again after few mins it start than stop and so on. it take 2 hour to copy 500 mb filehelp me i dont to format my harddisk

Solution

Hello again, dilpreet singh 95!

Unfortunately, @SkyNetRising is right. Your WD Elements external drive is way too damaged! :( Backup all your files from it immediately and make sure you copy it somewhere safe and sound.
Once you do that, check the warranty of the external HDD on our website. If it's still covered by the warranty, you should be able to send an RMA request and get a replacement. However...
Hey there, dilpreet singh 95!

I'm sorry to hear about your performance issues with the WD Elements drive. :( I'd advise you to attempt to connect the HDD with a different USB cable and also in a different USB port on your computer. Hopefully, this will improve the transfer rate. If you have access to another computer, you might as well plug the drive there and see how it will get recognized. I'd also strongly recommend you backup all your data from the external and have a copy of it stored somewhere else. Having only one copy of your files is highly risky and it's not a backup solution, even if it's stored on a backup drive.

Once you have your data safe and sound, use WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics to check up on the health and SMART status of your WD Elements. Just make sure you run both the QUICK and the EXTENDED tests.

Keep us posted with the results.
SuperSoph_WD

dilpreet singh 95

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

are you sure about it :( :( :( :(
well i m sure i didn't droped it

Hello again, dilpreet singh 95!

Unfortunately, @SkyNetRising is right. Your WD Elements external drive is way too damaged! :( Backup all your files from it immediately and make sure you copy it somewhere safe and sound.
Once you do that, check the warranty of the external HDD on our website. If it's still covered by the warranty, you should be able to send an RMA request and get a replacement. However, you need to get in touch with our Customer Support first, either by phone or e-mail.

Best of luck! Keep us posted if you have more questions!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution