Jenny

I just looked at a computer that was being used as both a client
and server (for house rental software). What confuses me is that it has
two hard drives - one is the c drive (no problem there) and one
that is the hard drive that is serving the special software. What
confuses me is that under My Computer, there are 4 drives
(C, E, F, and N). F and N have the symbol for network. Since
there is only one hard drive (37.2 GB) that is being represented
by E, F, and N, I don't understand why under My Computer each
of those drives show something different. I am not very familiar with
servers so maybe there is something very basic that I don't know.

Could someone please explain how one drive can be represented by
three different letters which appear to contain different stuff???

Thanks very much!!!

---

steveh

"Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I just looked at a computer that was being used as both a client
> and server (for house rental software). What confuses me is that it has
> two hard drives - one is the c drive (no problem there) and one
> that is the hard drive that is serving the special software. What
> confuses me is that under My Computer, there are 4 drives
> (C, E, F, and N). F and N have the symbol for network. Since
> there is only one hard drive (37.2 GB) that is being represented
> by E, F, and N, I don't understand why under My Computer each
> of those drives show something different. I am not very familiar with
> servers so maybe there is something very basic that I don't know.
>
> Could someone please explain how one drive can be represented by
> three different letters which appear to contain different stuff???
>
> Thanks very much!!!
>

> ---

Hi,
I would guess that C: and E: are just 2 partitions on the same phyisical
drive (D: is presumably a CD drive).
F: & N: are probably 'mapped' drives. These will be drives/partitions on
remote PC's elsewhere on the network. You map the remote drives to the local
machine so they can be accessed in the same way the local ones can.

HTH
SteveH

Jenny

"SteveH" <steve.hough@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:qJuNc.9291$2J.93563113@news-text.cableinet.net...> I would guess that
C: and E: are just 2 partitions on the same phyisical
> drive (D: is presumably a CD drive).
> F: & N: are probably 'mapped' drives. These will be drives/partitions on
> remote PC's elsewhere on the network. You map the remote drives to the
local
> machine so they can be accessed in the same way the local ones can.

Hi Steve,
Thanks,
Actually the c drive is a separate hard drive.
This machine is also the server machine. It's second hard drive is
the drive (N) that the 4 other computers access. N is mapped.
So I guess E is the actually hard drive for N which is mapped.
What I don't understand is why there are two mapped drives
for E (N and F) and why under My Computer, when I open each of the
three drives (E, N, and F) they are all different. I don't get it.

Can a mapped drive look different from the drive that is mapped from??

---

> Actually the c drive is a separate hard drive.
> This machine is also the server machine. It's second hard drive is
> the drive (N) that the 4 other computers access. N is mapped.
> So I guess E is the actually hard drive for N which is mapped.
> What I don't understand is why there are two mapped drives
> for E (N and F) and why under My Computer, when I open each of the
> three drives (E, N, and F) they are all different. I don't get it.

Is it possible that N and F are shared folders? When Windows calls
something a "mapped drive", it doesn't necessarily mean the root of the
drive, it can be a folder. So, maybe N and F are a sublevel of the drive?

You can go into network connections and see all of your own shared folders,
and learn where they originale (both at the hardware level and the file
directory structure).

Do a Google search on "harddrive partitioning".

--
DaveW