Question Hard drives not spinning

Apr 3, 2021
I built a PC that just utilizes a 250GB SSD and wanted to add some extra storage to it. I purchased a BarraCuda 2 TB hard drive and installed it using the same SATA power cable that connects to the SSD (there are 3 heads on the cable). At first, the HDD light on my chassis would flicker when I powered on but the HDD was never detected or available in BIOS. After a bit the light stopped turning on at all and the hard drive does not spin. I can still use my computer and the operating system boots up as expected from my SSD. I took my hard drive to a repair store to test and everything looked fine but still does not spin on my computer.

I have a 550w power supply which, from what I have googled, seems like it should be enough to power the additional internal hard drive. I have tried every SATA port on my MOBO and PSU and plugging in just my hard drive. I am completely out of ideas on what could be the issue. Could the SATA cable be a problem even if it works for my SSD?

Power Supply - Corsair RM 550x
HDD - Seagate BarraCude ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb//s
MOBO - Asus Z270M-Plus

EDIT: This is the cable that came with my Corsair RM 550x that I am connecting to both the SSD and HDD. I notice it only specifies that it is a SSD power supply cable. Is this the issue? What would be the correct cable?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021
Warning: do not interchange modular PSU cables:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2545

Power Disable Feature (SATA 3.2+ / 3.3):
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2094

I am using the modular PSU cable that came in the box. I have only ever had one PSU so I don't think it's possible I have the wrong cable. I added a link to original post with the cable that came with the PSU that I am connecting to the SSD and HDD.

I don't quite understand the second link. Is there something I need to do to turn off the power disable feature?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021
Either put tape over pin #3 in the SATA connector, or get a power cable with the orange wires removed, or cut the orange wires in your existing cable.
All of the wires are black (see my original post edit). Either way, is this for real? This seems like a terrible feature to make the cable not work by default. I have watched many tutorials and none have mentioned the need to cut a wire or cover a pin.

Apr 3, 2021
I think modular power cables are the really terrible feature. As for Power Disable, I would have preferred that 3.3V = ON and 0V = OFF. I don't understand why the standards committee settled on the reverse, but we now have to live with their decision.
Thanks for the replies. Are you certain the 3.3v pin issue applies to the Seagate Barracuda hard drives? I've done a fair amount of searching and only see it mentioned in reference to WD white label drives.