[SOLVED] "Haunted PC" Reboots when I get up or walk past system

Jan 6, 2022
Before I start, My pc will boot up fine and run games with no problem. It's not running that's the issue, the issue is when I get up from my chair or if I walk past the machine it reboots on it's own. It doesn't do it when I'm just sitting down and playing games, but as soon as I get up and walk past "boom" restarts. I've tried just about everything to resolve it. Does anyone have and ideas?

Solution
Hopefully it's a good surge protector strip and not a dollar-store cheapo. All those cheap strips are is a fire hazard, it's 3 strips of metal set in cheap plastic that has a tendency to overheat and warp, which causes issues like you describe and others.

The biggest issue is the false sense of security. There's usually a 15A breaker/switch involved, and thats usually plugged into a 15A circuit. Meaning it offers Zero protection beyond the breaker inside the house panel. It won't stop any power surges that the feeding breaker won't stop. And people will readily overload the strip with a pc, couple of monitors, desk lamp, printer, USB charger etc. And forget that all that power draw is through a cheap strip to a single plug.
Jan 6, 2022
i've seen similar issues with bad building wiring, bad surge protectors, or just a loose wall socket.
the tremors and vibrations from walking by, moving furniture, etc would cause systems and other electronics to cycle power.
I actually just switched out surge protectors to a brand new one and it seems to have resolved the issue but I'll have to wait and see. But so far the new surge protector strip seems to be doing better.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hopefully it's a good surge protector strip and not a dollar-store cheapo. All those cheap strips are is a fire hazard, it's 3 strips of metal set in cheap plastic that has a tendency to overheat and warp, which causes issues like you describe and others.

The biggest issue is the false sense of security. There's usually a 15A breaker/switch involved, and thats usually plugged into a 15A circuit. Meaning it offers Zero protection beyond the breaker inside the house panel. It won't stop any power surges that the feeding breaker won't stop. And people will readily overload the strip with a pc, couple of monitors, desk lamp, printer, USB charger etc. And forget that all that power draw is through a cheap strip to a single plug.

Solution
Jan 6, 2022

Now It's a greenlite tier 1 advanced strip, before it was just some random surge protector strip plugged in, and I also did have a <Mod Edit> ton of <Mod Edit> plugged into it aswell. So what your saying sounds an awful lot like the situation I was in. But now I only have monitors and pc plugged into the strip. S hopefully I didn't damage anything inside the pc, but as of right now with the new power strip and cord config. It seems to be working properly now.

Last edited by a moderator:

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Weird things happen with PC's. A few years ago every single time I would sit down in my office chair my monitor would blink off and back on again. Happened on two different PC's in two different rooms.

Now I am dealing with my main rig coming out of hibernate when I walk past it. Been happening ever since I bought a Razer controller. I have to unplug it from the USB port to keep it from waking up. No solution. Posted on multiple sites including here.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pc's should never be set to Hibernate. Windows is a cross-platform OS, it's coded for pc's, laptops and notebooks. A pc has absolutely no business going into battery saving mode. Sleep states only, not hibernation. Hibernation also dedicates 75% of your ram size in storage, just for its own use. Not an issue on big drives, but definitely an issue with 120Gb drives and 16Gb of ram. Windows mandates a percentage for swap file, then hibernation steals another 12Gb and you get a 120Gb drive that only has @ 80Gb usable.