[SOLVED] Having a hard time getting an nvme to work

Jul 18, 2021
Everything I've tried has seemed to make the situation worse. I cannot find the disk in disk management, nor can I find it in macrium reflect nor Samsung data migration. I can find it in my bios and in the device manager but that seems to be it. In the beginning i went into my bios and enabled the m.2 port and installed the drive and from there had nothing but problems. At first the drive was not being recognized but I somehow got it to be recognized by reflect. I wanted to clone the hdd I have to the new Ssd but I've never done it before. I tried to do it and got error messages and tried to fix them by looking it up. Now it won't recognize it in reflect and disk management and for some strange ass reason my computer won't even connect to the internet, even when hooked up via ethernet. I honestly am in awe of my own buffoonery here, I have never had a problem with pc's but I have somehow completely banged this up. Any help on how to get the disk recognized and to clone my hdd over to my new ssd would be mega helpful.

My specs are
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080S (Super)
SSD: Crucial MX100 128GB
HDD: WD Green 2TB (2012)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C10 2x8GB
MBD: Asus Z97-A
I was attempting to insert a samsung 970 evo plus ssd 2tb -m.2 NVMe and I am hoping that my hdd not being able to detect my ethernet cable is just because It's kinda old and beat up and not somehow my fault. The 970 Evo was going to be my new boot drive but I have obviously been having a lot of difficulty

Last edited:
Solution
What BIOS version are you on?
The Z97 era boards had very spotty NVMe M.2 support.

And even if/when you DO get it running, it will be at best, half speed of what that Samsung drive can actually do.
If you currently are running on a good SATA III SSD, unlikely you'd see any real difference with that 970 EVO.

USAFRet

Titan

And even if/when you DO get it running, it will be at best, half speed of what that Samsung drive can actually do.
If you currently are running on a good SATA III SSD, unlikely you'd see any real difference with that 970 EVO.

Solution
Jul 18, 2021

I'm on 2205 for bios, i built this pc a while back and have just been upgrading piecemeal when I can, should I be looking into getting a newer motherboard? I just haven't been getting great performance speed wise for a while and thought I'd just migrate all my hdd to an ssd to get stuff back into speed.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm on 2205 for bios, i built this pc a while back and have just been upgrading piecemeal when I can, should I be looking into getting a newer motherboard? I just haven't been getting great performance speed wise for a while and thought I'd just migrate all my hdd to an ssd to get stuff back into speed.
Moving from an HDD to an SSD is a HUGE benefit.
The differing levels of SSD, not so much.

My system is quite similar to yours, except for the GPU.

Move that whole thing on the HDD to a good SATA III SSD.
Don't worry about the NVMe thing, it will still be a HUGE improvement.

Don't change the motherboard just to utilize an NVMe.
That new motherboard would be a whole new system....motherboard/CPU/RAM, blah blah....

Reactions: Djthedad
You might be well served on the current system at least to go sata ssd vs nvme. A sata ssd will still be MUCH faster than a hard drive. But as far as when to upgrade is up to you. New cpus and ddr5 are probably landing next year, so if your pc does what you currently want, you might just get the ssd now and might do a full rebuild next year.

Jul 18, 2021
Moving from an HDD to an SSD is a HUGE benefit.
The differing levels of SSD, not so much.

My system is quite similar to yours, except for the GPU.

Move that whole thing on the HDD to a good SATA III SSD.
Don't worry about the NVMe thing, it will still be a HUGE improvement.

Don't change the motherboard just to utilize an NVMe.
That new motherboard would be a whole new system....motherboard/CPU/RAM, blah blah....
Thank God I don't have to get a new motherboard, I don't have that kinda cash. Thinking of getting a Samsung 870 qvo 2.5 sata 3 to replace maybe that will work out ?

Jul 18, 2021
You might be well served on the current system at least to go sata ssd vs nvme. A sata ssd will still be MUCH faster than a hard drive. But as far as when to upgrade is up to you. New cpus and ddr5 are probably landing next year, so if your pc does what you currently want, you might just get the ssd now and might do a full rebuild next year.
I use it for work and games, the work is mostly just files and documents so nothing super heavy. In the ends it's mostly for games but I don't think I'll have the money for a complete rebuild next year. If I do though ill probably look into getting everything but the gpu to a newer version

USAFRet

Titan
Might be a stupid question but why the 860 evo instead of 870 qvo? Having a bit of time trying to find the 860 in 2 tb
The 870 is DRAMless.
Fine for most use, but the 860 is a bit better for sustained throughput.

If you can't find the 860 in your size, market and price, the 870 will do just fine.

Looking around, the 860 seems to be out of stock or stupidly high priced.
Go with the 870.