Question Having a problem with my RX580

ItzAntTech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
My friend gave me his old RX580 to try before buying, and I'm not really impressed with it. I'm coming from an RX470, which was starting to feel a little dated, so I was hoping the RX580 would be better. In game performance, it's either the same or worse than what I had before. I didn't DDU the drivers before installation, but I have since clean wiped the drivers. On the latest 21.3.1 drivers, the whole system is sluggish, window animations are choppy, and it's overall not smooth. Using the drivers that were suggested through windows update, The games perform about the same as my old card, and the OS is a bit better. I'm still not getting the performance I should be and I don't want to be using a 2 year old driver. Waking from sleep is really slow and there's a 30 second black screen period on reboot. My CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600X, so I don't think it's a bottleneck. I had no problems until I installed this card. My friend lightly used it, never mined, and never had a problem. What's the deal? I'm happy to provide more info if needed.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In truth there isn't much difference between the RX470 (120W) and RX580 (185W), only a 12% increase in shaders and a little bump up in frequency.

RX580 does use significantly more power (difference between 400 and 500 was basically a process node shrink and factory overclocking)

Double check your power supply is up to the task. DDU is a good step. Maybe a BIOS update is in order for the motherboard.

You could also consider flashing the vBIOS on the card. I do recall there were some early problems where the GPUs were consuming too much power through the PCIe slot, which may also be part of the problem.

ItzAntTech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
In truth there isn't much difference between the RX470 (120W) and RX580 (185W), only a 12% increase in shaders and a little bump up in frequency.

RX580 does use significantly more power (difference between 400 and 500 was basically a process node shrink and factory overclocking)

Double check your power supply is up to the task. DDU is a good step. Maybe a BIOS update is in order for the motherboard.

You could also consider flashing the vBIOS on the card. I do recall there were some early problems where the GPUs were consuming too much power through the PCIe slot, which may also be part of the problem.
I have a 650w PSU. I ran DDU and the bios was the latest. I reinstalled my old card and nothing has changed. I'm having the same problems on my old card now.

TRENDING THREADS