[SOLVED] Having trouble with loaded latency, heard a good router could potentially fix it?

Zooka128

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
I am with BT and we have the best HomeHub and broadband that they offer. Unfortunately, often as soon as there are 3 or more people connected to the WiFi it will just completely frazz out and at least one person's internet will be dreadful and constantly drop.

I Googled it and apparently a good router could help? On Fast.com I sometimes get as drastic a difference as 7ms unloaded and 190ms loaded ping (currently 9ms unloaded and 68ms loaded), so I definitely have huge problems with loaded latency.

So would buying an expensive non-BT router potentially solve this issue? Thanks.

Solution
WIFI is a shared transmission. The router can receive from one or transmit to one device. If there are multiple simultaneous transmissions, then somebody has to wait. One option would be to add a second WIFI source, ethernet connected to your primary router. Get some of the devices on the second WIFI source. Ensure that your WIFI sources are all on unique channels (1, 6, 11 for 2.4Ghz).

kanewolf

Titan
WIFI is a shared transmission. The router can receive from one or transmit to one device. If there are multiple simultaneous transmissions, then somebody has to wait. One option would be to add a second WIFI source, ethernet connected to your primary router. Get some of the devices on the second WIFI source. Ensure that your WIFI sources are all on unique channels (1, 6, 11 for 2.4Ghz).

Solution