yoshi77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
When connecting my CRT to my PC via s-video-to-rca, the video on the TV flickers very badly (its not really flickering, the video moves from top to bottom of the screen over and over, like an old movie reel or something) so bad that i cant navigate menus to mess with settings on the TV.

I got it working at some point by booting it up with both TV and my monitor plugged in, after logging in (the TV showed flickering video up until logging in, then it went dark) i went to display settings on my monitor and switching the main monitor to the tv, which made the video show up on the tv not flickering, but it still flickers badly when i do it now

any help? thanks in advance

The problem is with the refresh of your output/GPU not being in sync with the refresh rate of the CRT.

LCD's and LED's run natively at 60Hz, which is most of the time what the GPU is set to output.

CRT TV's however run at either 24 or 29.97Hz, because that is what movies (which they are designed to play) run at.

You are going to need to force your GPU to output at either 24 or 29.97Hz, that should be in your graphic settings.

yoshi77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
thank you, unfortunately now my monitor is losing signal as soon as the OS finishes loading. Probably something i screwed up while trying to get the tv working. I tried running windows start up repair, no luck, and apparently i have no restore points (which i do...)

yoshi77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008

i mean when im booting with just the monitor (at 60). I booted to safe mood and uninstalled my graphics drivers which fixed it. Gonna try your suggestion, probably gonna need to use catalyst control center to set the tv refresh rate

yoshi77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
ok, so i have video on both the monitor and tv, and CCC is detecting them both. The tv is also at 25hz refresh rate

.. but the video on the tv is still screwed. is still moving top to bottom nonstop. any ideas?

yoshi77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
oddly enough, i fixed it by by checking "use signal format appropriate to regional options setting" instead of "select by signal format" under TV properties 4/formats

weird..