HDD Industry Set for Return to Growth This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontcrosthestreams

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
i still find it strange that one factory that made oem old school hdd's getting its parking lot flooded could cause all hdd and sdd's to double in price. For a year.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]dontcrosthestreams[/nom]i still find it strange that one factory that made oem old school hdd's getting its parking lot flooded could cause all hdd and sdd's to double in price. For a year.[/citation]
Now you understand how the oil companies work.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Pezcore27[/nom]Good! Hopefully we see prices start to reflect this growth soon.[/citation]

lol, just checked the 4tb drive that i want, its down to 350$, 50 cheaper than initial price.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I'm glad I bought my 1.5 TB and my two 1 TBs before the monopoly price fixing began. I refuse outright to pay $100+ for a 1TB harddrive when I was able to buy one for $49 in 2009.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]dontcrosthestreams[/nom]i still find it strange that one factory that made oem old school hdd's getting its parking lot flooded could cause all hdd and sdd's to double in price. For a year.[/citation]

I had heard that the actual clean rooms were flooded and they were the locations that made some of the drive heads.

I'll agree with everyone else...not sure why it took so long to have the industry stabilize and get back to quasi-normal production.

I'll be happy to see prices fall again.

fudoka711

Distinguished
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]I'm glad I bought my 1.5 TB and my two 1 TBs before the monopoly price fixing began. I refuse outright to pay $100+ for a 1TB harddrive when I was able to buy one for $49 in 2009.[/citation]

I was going to buy a new external 2tb drive as a backup last holiday season...expecting it to go on sale for like $89 or lower like we saw in 2010's holiday season...but no =(

Now I have to wait til holiday 2012 to maybe see that price again...sigh

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
the only good thing about the price squeeze is that I have been unloading my old 320gb hard drives on ebay for $60 and my 500gb drives for $75

Middleman

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Great, so when are prices going to come down? My 1.5TB Toshiba took a click-of-death crap last night, and I need to replace it with ANYTHING-BUT-ANOTHER-GD-TOSHIBA-BECAUSE-THIS-MAKES-3-IN-A-ROW as soon as possible, and 80 bucks for 500 gigs "On Sale" is ri-goddamn-diculous.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]theuniquegamer[/nom]So prices are not coming to normal soon.[/citation]

Its just like gasoline, if you're payng $3.89 now, what's to keep you from paying $4 - they already have you by the balls.

f-14

Distinguished
the HDD industry structure should allow for the remaining HDD industry participants to slowly reduce HDD prices from current levels at a rate that still delivers value to customers
i don't see how that is going to be possible as nand flash is starting to kick their butts at $1 per GB.
kind of hard for slower obsolete technology to recover from a price war like this let alone a disaster limiting their production.
that was the death knell sounding for HDD profits, it only spirals down from here.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]i don't see how that is going to be possible as nand flash is starting to kick their butts at $1 per GB.kind of hard for slower obsolete technology to recover from a price war like this let alone a disaster limiting their production.that was the death knell sounding for HDD profits, it only spirals down from here.[/citation]
The Hard Drive is one of the last mechanical parts of the modern computer. Pretty soon we can expect it to be slowly phased out with advanced in SSD and Flash technology.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I run a computer store funny thing is internal hard drive prices doubled external didn't change, also most drives i have ordered from western digital since after the flood have a 98% failure rate i have sent back dozens for rma and have stopped buying any drives from western digital i'm loosing money from all the replacements failing after i get them back from rma.

didgetmaster

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Like others, I also wish I could buy huge capacity HDDs for really cheap. $50 for a 10 TB drive would be great. But I also want a healthy, competitive HDD market. Companies like Seagate, WD, and others need to have enough profits to invest in R&D while trying to steal away market share from each other through competitive prices. Like all other industries that build stuff I want, I don't want a monopoly and I want those to innovate to reap rewards, otherwise why would anyone innovate? Yea, I know some people innovate just for fun or for other reasons, but money seems to motivate the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.