Question HDD Makes odd ticking/rattling noise

nielsmeulm

Reputable
May 16, 2019
Good day!

So I built my first PC, so sorry if I say some dumb stuff, still learning. I bought a 2TB Seagate HDD wich made a little weird ticking/rattling noise. Around 3 ticks after eachother. There's no pattern either, sometimes theres 4 seconds in between, sometimes 30 seconds or sometimes a minute. I sent this HDD back because I thought something was wrong with it, though it did work, just the noise was odd to me. They sent me another back, but it does the same thing. I have no clue if this is normal, or what im doing wrong. I checked all the cables aswell, nothing seems wrong. My PC detects it fine, everythings normal, just the noise.

Heres an example of the sound. Im sorry if its hard to hear:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0hQN0q0O9Ts

Thanks in advance!

But its completely new, as I said, this is the second one I got, the first one had the exact same problems.
When it comes to spinning hard disks you can get multiple in a single batch that are bad. I would return your HDD and try getting one from a different company. Luckily HDDs tend to fail gracefully and give you plenty of notice. My parents have a WD Green that has been making a sound that usually is a precursor to a failing HDD for years now.

nielsmeulm

Reputable
May 16, 2019
When it comes to spinning hard disks you can get multiple in a single batch that are bad. I would return your HDD and try getting one from a different company. Luckily HDDs tend to fail gracefully and give you plenty of notice. My parents have a WD Green that has been making a sound that usually is a precursor to a failing HDD for years now.

I see where youre coming from, it sure is possible. But its weird to me how both made the EXACT same noise, and don't they get tested or something?

I see where youre coming from, it sure is possible. But its weird to me how both made the EXACT same noise, and don't they get tested or something?
I've ordered 6x enterprise 10K disks for a server where I work with the disks in a 2 disk RAID 1. So far 4 of the 6, with some ordered months later, have a warning on the system of predictive failure and these are supposed to be new disks.

nielsmeulm

Reputable
May 16, 2019
I've ordered 6x enterprise 10K disks for a server where I work with the disks in a 2 disk RAID 1. So far 4 of the 6, with some ordered months later, have a warning on the system of predictive failure and these are supposed to be new disks.

I see.. I've never heard this noise before though, and of all the research ive done, no one has this sound.

TRENDING THREADS