[SOLVED] HDD problem preventing proper bootup on PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2021
I believe my HDD is preventing my PC from booting properly.

To give context, I was just using my computer until file explorer was being unresponsive. I tried to close it and it asked me to either End Process or to cancel and wait. I clicked cancel, but it ruined all of windows explorer anyway. After I tried to restart, it looks like my PC wasn't even able to detect Windows 10 at all anymore on my SSD (I had my SSD as the one with Windows on it). I tried to do a bunch of things to repair it by going into the WRE through the Windows installation Media on my USB. No dice. In the end, I decided to delete everything on my SSD to reinstall Windows (they didn't let me keep my files, but I only had games on there I can reinstall anyway).

I found out that leaving my SATA cables plugged into my HDD made everything load extremely slow. I saw that both my SSD and HDD now had "Windows Boot Manager" before the name now. I read that it didn't matter as long as I put the SSD as boot priority, so I did. I disabled the HDD as a boot option. However, my PC won't load at all and get stuck in the spinning circle thing if I leave my HDD in.

I tried to take out the HDD to see if everything would load, and it did. But if I tried to plug it back in after getting onto the Windows desktop, my PC goes to a blue screen of death and tells me I need to repair my PC. Sometimes plugging in my HDD with my SSD still in can either make both go undetected or have only the HDD be detected in my BIOS. Any option that I pick turns off my computer and restarts it to the same screen. I should mention that my pc won't detect my 2nd monitor now either, but I think I just need to reinstall the graphics driver for that.

I have no idea what the health of my HDD is now. I tried to leave it in so that I could check and repair it through a command shell, but I can't even get there since it won't load. How do I repair or check the health of my HDD if my computer can't even get to the screen to fix it? What can I do?

I have a Samsung SSD, Seagate barracuda 2TB HDD, and a PRIME B560-PLUS motherboard.

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like MBR corruption on the HDD. That's correctable, if a pita.

Mostly happens with malicious software, like a virus, but can happen with a glitched hdd. Malware software won't find viruses, so you'd need to run both seperately.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums newcomer!

Samsung is the brand of the SSD, what is the model of the SSD used in your build? As for your issue, it seems like you might've had an OS corruption. Where did you source the installer for your OS? BIOS version for your motherboard? As for your platform, now would be a good idea to backup any and/or all critical content off of the HDD since you're very likely going to have to format/delete all partitions off of it, while using the OS installer window(the part where you select which partition/drive to install the OS onto). Once deleted/wiped, shut down and remove the HDD from the system and have the SSD hooked up to proceed with OS reinstall.

I believe my HDD is preventing my PC from booting properly.

To give context, I was just using my computer until file explorer was being unresponsive. I tried to close it and it asked me to either End Process or to cancel and wait. I clicked cancel, but it ruined all of windows explorer anyway. After I tried to restart, it looks like my PC wasn't even able to detect Windows 10 at all anymore on my SSD (I had my SSD as the one with Windows on it). I tried to do a bunch of things to repair it by going into the WRE through the Windows installation Media on my USB. No dice. In the end, I decided to delete everything on my SSD to reinstall Windows (they didn't let me keep my files, but I only had games on there I can reinstall anyway).

I found out that leaving my SATA cables plugged into my HDD made everything load extremely slow. I saw that both my SSD and HDD now had "Windows Boot Manager" before the name now. I read that it didn't matter as long as I put the SSD as boot priority, so I did. I disabled the HDD as a boot option. However, my PC won't load at all and get stuck in the spinning circle thing if I leave my HDD in.

I tried to take out the HDD to see if everything would load, and it did. But if I tried to plug it back in after getting onto the Windows desktop, my PC goes to a blue screen of death and tells me I need to repair my PC. Sometimes plugging in my HDD with my SSD still in can either make both go undetected or have only the HDD be detected in my BIOS. Any option that I pick turns off my computer and restarts it to the same screen. I should mention that my pc won't detect my 2nd monitor now either, but I think I just need to reinstall the graphics driver for that.

I have no idea what the health of my HDD is now. I tried to leave it in so that I could check and repair it through a command shell, but I can't even get there since it won't load. How do I repair or check the health of my HDD if my computer can't even get to the screen to fix it? What can I do?

I have a Samsung SSD, Seagate barracuda 2TB HDD, and a PRIME B560-PLUS motherboard.
With just the ssd connected the machine boots and runs is that correct?

If so perhaps get a usb dock and see if you can connect the hdd that way after the OS is running.

Nov 28, 2021
Welcome to the forums newcomer!

Samsung is the brand of the SSD, what is the model of the SSD used in your build? As for your issue, it seems like you might've had an OS corruption. Where did you source the installer for your OS? BIOS version for your motherboard? As for your platform, now would be a good idea to backup any and/or all critical content off of the HDD since you're very likely going to have to format/delete all partitions off of it, while using the OS installer window(the part where you select which partition/drive to install the OS onto). Once deleted/wiped, shut down and remove the HDD from the system and have the SSD hooked up to proceed with OS reinstall.

The problem seems to lie in the HDD itself. I can't even access the HDD.

With just the ssd connected the machine boots and runs is that correct?

If so perhaps get a usb dock and see if you can connect the hdd that way after the OS is running.

I have a USB 3.5 to sata right here and am trying to connect the HDD to a laptop to see if it 's working. I can hear that the HDD is running and the laptop detects it as a "Local Disk (F:)", but I'm not able to access it. It just says "The parameter is incorrect" or something like that. What do I do? I have the Neeyer USB 3.5 to Sata btw.

Nov 28, 2021
I'll also repeat that if I try to connect to the HDD with my desktop using the SATA cables within the computer, I will crash. I won't even get to the loading screen anymore. Only the case lights up but the monitor will stay off. I'm currently using my desktop with an SSD and it's working fine, until I plug in the HDD that is.

The problem seems to lie in the HDD itself. I can't even access the HDD.

I have a USB 3.5 to sata right here and am trying to connect the HDD to a laptop to see if it 's working. I can hear that the HDD is running and the laptop detects it as a "Local Disk (F:)", but I'm not able to access it. It just says "The parameter is incorrect" or something like that. What do I do? I have the Neeyer USB 3.5 to Sata btw.
Do you also have the aux power for the adapter connected?
If so and explorer can't access the disk looks like it's dead.
Wait for others to suggest some tools you can try.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like MBR corruption on the HDD. That's correctable, if a pita.

Mostly happens with malicious software, like a virus, but can happen with a glitched hdd. Malware software won't find viruses, so you'd need to run both seperately.

Solution
Nov 28, 2021
I shouldn't have gotten a virus. This all started with file explorer being unresponsive because I just left my computer on for too long while doing a somewhat heavy performing task. If there's a certain kind of software that I can install that could help with whatever possible problem I have, please name them. I've tried HD tune to do a health test when connecting it via USB to SATA. The health tab won't even load any issues, so I don't think my HDD can even be read properly anymore.

Also, when I connected USB to SATA, I had 2 errors either pop up when I tried to access it via file explorer. I have the aux in along with the usb, so I don't think voltage should be a problem. However, when trying to plug it in, my keyboard and mouse would disconnect and go unresponsive for some reason. I think the HDD is messing with some other drivers while it's connecting. Anyway, the first error would tell me that the "parameter is incorrect." The second would say, "(File name) is not accessible. A device which does not exist was specified."

At this point, all I want to do is recover old videos, images, and game data that took a while to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.