[SOLVED] HDMI to DP adapter failing

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
Hi,

I have a monitor with HDMI output, using an adapter (HDMI-to-DP) to a DP input on my graphics card

I bought the adapter for $8, it didn't last just 4 days..
it seems that the adapter actually died for some reason (maybe due to screen having power on/off more than usual)

1. is it a bad adapter?
  2. the guy I bought it from said "HDMI to DP adapter doesn't have a converter" while the "VGA to DP adapter has a converter and will last better"

just a question: I'm sure he said some wrong stuff, but what's the difference between a HDMI-DP adapter and a VGA-DP adapter?
what's the explanation of what he said?

if its a bad adapter I won't buy the same again.

Solution
The difference is that DP-to-VGA is for VGA ports on monitors, DP-to-HDMI is for HDMI ports on monitors. Since DP is digital and VGA is analog, there has to be a process that converts DP to analog. HDMI is already digital.

The most likely source of the failure is that you simply chose a super cheap converter. This company was so cheap that they couldn't even spare 45 seconds to look up the English phrase "plug and play" on Google when making their packaging.
you need a DP to HDMI cable
not HDMI to DP, because the monitor is the input and the graphics card the output (source).
if you would have a DP monitor, you would eventually need a converter from HDMI to DP

post the link of the cable you bought

did it work before with a different cable to eventually a different monitor?

Which GPU are you using?
Which motherboard is it?
Which CPU?

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
you need a DP to HDMI cable
not HDMI to DP, because the monitor is the input and the graphics card the output (source).
if you would have a DP monitor, you would eventually need a converter from HDMI to DP

post the link of the cable you bought

did it work before with a different cable to eventually a different monitor?

Which GPU are you using?
Which motherboard is it?
Which CPU?
Ok to make it clear: Its an adapter I'm using and it died in 4 days (probably cuz of bad quality of the adapter)
wUknHxK.jpg

BV4q30n.jpg

The source on my RTX 2060 is (1 HDMI, 3 DP)
The monitor is HDMI

I used the adapter to link the monitor HDMI to a DP port on the GPU

when the adapter died, I detached the adapter and linked the monitor straight to the HDMI source on GPU (no adapter), the screen is working fine, I'm saying the adapter died.

I wanna know why, I'm not buying another one to have the same issue.
Again I still ask, what's the difference between this adapter I showed you and a DP-to-VGA converter? (VGA input monitor, DP source)

I can't link any monitor cable on my B450 Aorus Pro because the R5 3600 CPU doesn't have integrated graphics to support on-board monitor I think.. which is so unfortunate.

Thanks in advance

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The difference is that DP-to-VGA is for VGA ports on monitors, DP-to-HDMI is for HDMI ports on monitors. Since DP is digital and VGA is analog, there has to be a process that converts DP to analog. HDMI is already digital.

The most likely source of the failure is that you simply chose a super cheap converter. This company was so cheap that they couldn't even spare 45 seconds to look up the English phrase "plug and play" on Google when making their packaging.

Reactions: Zuher Laith
Solution

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020

Now I understand,
since DP-to-VGA converts digital to analog, and its more expensive ($22) than the DP-to-HDMI which is only ($8), and they look from the same company..

I would've chosen better one but there isn't any better that I found..

My second monitor is VGA and my main is HDMI, to make them both plug to my (3 DP, 1 HDMI) source GPU,
I already have a HDMI-to-VGA converter I can link the second monitor, while the main monitor is HDMI I plugged it into a DP port source.
I know, 1 adapter on each plug, its not good stuff.

still which way should I go? should I not buy that DP-to-VGA adapter because its a bit too much? or try my luck again with a better DP-to-HDMI adapter

Thanks for help!

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020

Hey I'm sorry to bring this back up but,
I'm getting a DP-to-VGA I found 2 good deals,
1- is a Cable DP-to-VGA which does the work fine, with longer age (I guess) and warranty
2- an adapter DP-to-VGA, also does the work but for avoiding a full cable

they do rock the same price,
which one should I pick? I don't know if a full converted cable is better than the adapter

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hey I'm sorry to bring this back up but,
I'm getting a DP-to-VGA I found 2 good deals,
1- is a Cable DP-to-VGA which does the work fine, with longer age (I guess) and warranty
2- an adapter DP-to-VGA, also does the work but for avoiding a full cable

they do rock the same price,
which one should I pick? I don't know if a full converted cable is better than the adapter

I wouldn't buy either. Certainly not the first one and the second one is likely uncertain given the price.

Something like this has a much higher chance of working.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...A+adapter&qid=1602271972&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Buy something that works once rather than three or four "good deals."

Reactions: Zuher Laith

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
I wouldn't buy either. Certainly not the first one and the second one is likely uncertain given the price.

Something like this has a much higher chance of working.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...A+adapter&qid=1602271972&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Buy something that works once rather than three or four "good deals."
Thank you so much for this suggestion,
yeah this looks legit and will work for many years

just got it today for $19.99 luckily on discount
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...d=1602272409&sr=8-1&tag=georiot-in-default-21

Thanks a ton for this!

TRENDING THREADS