HDMI with audio on ASUS Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Hi:

I want to upgrade my motherboard from MSI k9VGM-V to "ASUS M4A88T-M LE" Motherboard. The ASUS has on board HDMI Video ATI Radeon HD 4250. I want to connect my PC with this Motherboard to a Vizio Hi Def HDTV using HDMI cable.

My question is will the HDMI cable carry audio or I will also need to connect optical out from the motherboard to a Sony AV receiver? Problem is Sony receiver has only one optical audio in, which is already used by optical audio out from Vizio TV. Unfortunately, Vizio TV does not have a digital audio in pass through.

Thanks.

Solution
Unfortunately, AM2+ processors do not work on AM3 motherboards due to the lack of a DDR3 memory controller. I use dual core Phenom II (550, 555 or 560) for my media computers, however an Athlon X2 would work just as well.

You can buy a Media Center remote control, but if you search around you can find a Dell replacement bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo for fairly cheap. I have found the media controls on the keyboard to be plenty good enough. Don't forget your bluetooth usb adapter...

You will be fine with your Antec 380w PSU, but hit the web site below and confirm. You should come in well under 300w with a single hard drive and single blu-ray player...
http://www.antec.outervision.com/
Yes. Onboard video of 4200, 4250 and 4290 will all do HDMI video and audio with smooth blu-ray playback. Makes for a nice, and inexpensive, HTPC.

If your HDTV has an optical output, then your best bet is to do all HDMI in to your HDTV, then optical out from the HTDV to optical in on your reciever. When you switch HDMI inputs on your HDTV you won't have to mess with anything but volume on your reciever (this sounds like the direction you are heading).

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

Thanks sadams04. This is a good news. I will go ahead and oreder it from newegg.

A related question with my upgrade, I was not planning to upgrade my 2007 AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Winsor CPU on the new motherboard. Do you think that CPU is too old, and I should upgrade to newer Athlon II or Phenom II CPU which have 2,3,4, or even 6 cores? My plan is to use PC for media playing (Blue Ray, Hidef video movies on hard drive, and playing hidef internet content' liking watch hidef shows on ABC and movies on Hulu, with occational video games like Need for Speed?

Another question is, is there a remote that can control PC from sofa for such things? Or should I get wireless mouse/keyboard.

Thanks. By the way,my current Antec case has Earthwatts 380 watts PSU. Wonder if that is good enough with the new MB?

Unfortunately, AM2+ processors do not work on AM3 motherboards due to the lack of a DDR3 memory controller. I use dual core Phenom II (550, 555 or 560) for my media computers, however an Athlon X2 would work just as well.

You can buy a Media Center remote control, but if you search around you can find a Dell replacement bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo for fairly cheap. I have found the media controls on the keyboard to be plenty good enough. Don't forget your bluetooth usb adapter...

You will be fine with your Antec 380w PSU, but hit the web site below and confirm. You should come in well under 300w with a single hard drive and single blu-ray player...
http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Solution

jhaveri

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

Thanks sadams04 for the upgrade recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.