Question HDR "bricked" my TV

katapultmarcus

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
Hi, i recently connected my Samsung TV to my PC with a HDMI cable and after a while i decided to turn on HDR on my main monitor, but i accidentally clicked on the wrong monitor option and turned on HDR on my TV and everything went black, everything works fine if i remove the HDMI cable from my graphics card and restart my PC but when i plug in the HDMI cable to turn of HDR from the TV option it goes back to black. Any ideas on how to fix that problem or am i permanently screwed? Im really bad at searching google and forums overall, so i might have missed an easy fix for this issue.

I use Windows 10 and have a 3090, so i dont think the GPU is the problem.

katapultmarcus

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
Nevermind, i did manage to find the answer! ill post the answer below because i dont know if i can remove this post.

Solved it by undoing the HDR setting via regedit.exe. The settings are stored in the following location in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\MonitorDataStore

Each monitor has its own subkey (subfolder) in that location. The name of the value setting is "AdvancedColorEnabled". Set the value to 0 or remove the value, then reboot the PC. After the reboot, I enabled my external monitor again and it worked as normal.