Question Headphones/Speakers issue

Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I have a win 10 msi gs63 notebook. both my speakers and my headset is recognized by the sounds panel, by realtek and by nahimic 2. whenever i insert my headphones they are recognized automatically by all three as well. now to the funky part:
when i insert my headphones the sound comes out of the headphones when i use spotify and chrome browser. when i access the netflix app everything is mute - both speakers and headphones, when i play a game (noticed it playing fortnite with headphones for the first time today) the sound comes out of the speakers, idk if if comes out of the headphones too, i was too surprised to check.
what the F is up with my notebook? how is it possible that it plays A) correctly B) not at all and C) from the wrong outlet depending on the program i'm running? what can i do to fix this?
thanks in advance, i'd appreciate any tips.

WaltzWorker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
I would think that its more of an issue with your sound settings at this point; especially in fortnite... And/or your systems default sound settings. Plug your headset in and open fortnite - get to audio settings and in "Chat input device" and "Chat output device" set them to your headset... Same for any other games you play. Also - with your headset plugged in - get to control panel - Sound - in playback tab select your headphones and right click and then set them as default then click apply. In the recording tab do the same for your headphones. What will happen is when you plug your headphones in they'll automatically become the default playback and recording device. BUT - if you start the game without them plugged in - your system will pick what ever it can and generally that's your speakers and mic on the laptop, but once you do plug them in it'll be fine. You'll have to change the settings by a keypress on your laptop if you want them to come out of the speakers by a function key or key combination...

There are problems with MSI's Realtek HD Sound Effects audio manager... They're posted everywhere... But most of it is related to 'sound effects' not working right. Since this isn't your problem, or doesn't seem to be your problem I wouldn't go there yet.