Question Heat issue - Swapping from AMD to Xeon // Does it worth it ?

Jul 6, 2022
Hi, i hope you all fine and doing good
this is my humbled gaming pc,

Motherboard: GA 970A DS3P rev 2.x
RAM: 2 x DDR3 8GB 2133Mhz Blue
CPU: AMD FX-8300 8-Cores 3.2Ghz AM3+ [95W] // CPU Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-214 Series.
-
HDD: 2 x Maxtor 80GB For Storage 160GB Raid 0
SSD: 1 * KingSpec 500GB For System Win 10 OS
GPU: 1 * MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDRR5
-
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w Fully Modular
Case: Cooler Master H500 ARGB

this build preform very good, only issue i have is heat, see after few hours of gaming the north, south bridge and CPU VRMs heatsink
all the 3 heatsink becomes so heated, i don't have the temperatures statistics, but i can say that one time i burned my finger when i touch them.
i have put on each heatsink a separate 40mm fans. the CPU and GPU is always idle no issue with those even when over clocking the CPU the cooler is doing a good job.

with all this fans and the heat issue the pc become noisy sometimes it's freezes or sudden showdown.

i have an option the swap my combo (Mobo//Ram//CPU + 150$) with this option below:

Motherboard: Asus X99 Pro
RAM: 1 * DDR4 16GB 3200Mhz CL 16 White Team Group RGB
CPU: Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1620 v3 [140W] + stock cooler

this swap will make the build looks better, black and white, but my questions is:
does it worth it, well i see any difference in performance, and most important am i going to have heat issue with this motherboard too?

the heat issue is what matters to me, i'm looking to run the system with just fans that originally came with the case, and cpu fan.

i love to read every ones opinions,

thanks in advance.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, you could probably sell your motherboard/CPU/RAM for $100, so adding in $150 gives you $250. Even though the Xeon and the platform are better than anything on AM3+ platform, it makes little sense to invest $250 to upgrade from one decade-old platform to another decade-old platform. A 12100F, a motherboard, and RAM can be had for around that, and it would be a much stronger performer.

I'm a bit worried about your storage situation, far more than about noisy fans. Is this data properly backed up? RAID0 is a data availability solution, not really a data storage one. Seeing a RAID, which is pointless for 99% of consumer use-cases, is a big red flag that makes me worried.

Reactions: imogen99
Jul 6, 2022
Honestly, you could probably sell your motherboard/CPU/RAM for $100, so adding in $150 gives you $250. Even though the Xeon and the platform are better than anything on AM3+ platform, it makes little sense to invest $250 to upgrade from one decade-old platform to another decade-old platform. A 12100F, a motherboard, and RAM can be had for around that, and it would be a much stronger performer.

I'm a bit worried about your storage situation, far more than about noisy fans. Is this data properly backed up? RAID0 is a data availability solution, not really a data storage one. Seeing a RAID, which is pointless for 99% of consumer use-cases, is a big red flag that makes me worried.
i have moved everything i have in the storage drive to external ssd.
in your opinion do you think, this Xeon combo is less heat issue than the mentioned AMD.

Jul 6, 2022
Not even that.
RAID 0 is a theoretical speed solution.

And given ancient 80GB drives, when (not if) either of them dies...all data across that 160GB space e is gone.
i totally understand your concern, i keep important data in my external drive, and i understand that this two drive my not be readable when swapping the mobo,

i've been running those same MaxTor drives for years no, and niver had any issues with them at all.

i agree and i don't completely trust RAID0 therefor i keep important data in external ssd drive.

as for the swap, do you thing i'll be able to run that combo with just stock and case fans - without facing any heat issue.

USAFRet

Titan
i have moved everything i have in the storage drive to external ssd.
in your opinion do you think, this Xeon combo is less heat issue than the mentioned AMD.
Is there an actual 'heat issue' with the current setup?
How have you determined this?

And if so, why is it?

Changing CPU is not really a good way to alleviate a possible overheat situation.
Especially changing from one old system to another old system.

Reactions: imogen99