Question Help accessing BIOS on MSI 760GMA-P34(FX)

arzt

Reputable
Dec 6, 2017
Hi there, I'm trying to change my OS to Linux Ubuntu from a thumb drive - I have all the boot files ready and whatnot but I cannot seem to access my BIOS. I've tried the following:
  • Accessing "UEFI Firmware Settings" from shift+Restart-ing windows (the option is missing)
  • Finding a physical button on my board to access it somehow
  • Trying every F-key, Del, and Esc during the computer bootup with a USB-to-PS/2 adapter (I have a USB keybaord)
  • Different USB ports for my keyboard
I thought getting those adapters would work because I read that USB keyboards aren't initialized until after the window to access the BIOS has been passed. So I am out of ideas, but still would like to change my OS. Thanks in advance!

arzt

Reputable
Dec 6, 2017
It should be the delete key on that board.
As stated above, already tried.

Your board is DEL to get in and USB should work fine. In older boards yes USB was not activated until after POST but this one should be.

I would start tapping DEL then push power and keep tapping it until you get the blue BIOS screen.
I just tried again with the adapter and just USB. Turns out, there's no input from my keyboard at all when it is plugged into the adapter. I'm plugging it into the purple-colored PS/2 slot on the back of my tower, but even after restart, there's no input from my keyboard other than the lights.

As stated above, already tried.

I just tried again with the adapter and just USB. Turns out, there's no input from my keyboard at all when it is plugged into the adapter. I'm plugging it into the purple-colored PS/2 slot on the back of my tower, but even after restart, there's no input from my keyboard other than the lights.

Try with just USB and make sure you are not in a 3.0 port, typically they would be black while 3.0 ports are blue.

if the UEFI BIOS is not showing in the windows recovery menu then you may have installed windows in legacy BIOS mode and not UEFI

His board doesn't support UEFI booting. It is a legacy only board.

Reactions: Banned by Net
I am at a loss. I have done work with similar boards before and never had this issue.

Why don't you try resetting the BIOS? There should be a few methods. One would be to remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes, the other would be the jumper method. After it is done try again as USB has worked outside of Windows for quite a while.

arzt

Reputable
Dec 6, 2017
I am at a loss. I have done work with similar boards before and never had this issue.

Why don't you try resetting the BIOS? There should be a few methods. One would be to remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes, the other would be the jumper method. After it is done try again as USB has worked outside of Windows for quite a while.
I just tried removing the CMOS battery and pressing the power button for a bit, to no avail. There are no jumpers, unfortunately. I think I'm just going to give up, oh well.