HELP!! AMD 8350/70 vs. Intel i5 6500

Jcnavey

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
I'm building my first PC! :D But I'm having a hard time deciding between camp AMD (fx8350) and camp intel (i5 6500).

I understand that AMD's run hotter and consume more power than intel, and also are not really able to be upgraded past the fx-8_-_-_ series. (The ryzen is way too much of a CPU for my purposes). But the price for the performance from AMD is hard to dismiss with my limited knowledge of both CPUs. For my purposes, is it really worth it to upgrade to the intel i5 6500?

I am a semi-casual gamer who is looking for 50+ FPS in AAA titles at 1080p, able to watch streams and videos with no issues, and very light video rendering.

REALLY don't want this to become Intel vs AMD fight. Just looking for some good info!

If there is another thread that answers this, please post the link! <3

GEAR

RAM - Corsair Vengence DDR4 (if Intel)
GPU - Nvidia geforce 1050ti
Case - Zalman z9 neo
Cooler - deciding later based on CPU and MOBO
Mobo - Asus Z170 (if intel CPU)
PSU - Any Corsair 550w 80+ gold

Solution
For gaming the Intel is easily the better option. Even an i3(or a new hyperthreaded 7th gen pentium) can exceed an FX in games. Most still use 4 or less threads and Intel has a clear single threaded performance lead over the old FX series.

Jcnavey

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017

So you're saying the main cons to AMD would be a slight bottleneck of the GPU and hotter temps?

bignastyid

Titan
For gaming the Intel is easily the better option. Even an i3(or a new hyperthreaded 7th gen pentium) can exceed an FX in games. Most still use 4 or less threads and Intel has a clear single threaded performance lead over the old FX series.

Solution

Mostly. There are other factors to weigh in.
1: FX chips fit into AM3+ Motherboards. These pieces only fit DDR3 Ram.
2: As mentioned above, even dual-core intel chips can surpass.

But these are cons for FX series processors. They are cheap, powerful in some cases, but are hot and close to ancient at this point. If you want to go AMD, Ryzen is the way to go for now.

I wouldn't touch AM3+ at this point. If you really want an AMD processor and can't afford the R7 Ryzen chips, wait a couple of months for the R5 and R3 CPUs to launch. If you have to build now in the lower budget range, go with Intel. The FX 8350 is only really competitive vs. and i5 in very heavily threaded software that scales very well across 8 cores, most games aren't doing that right now. AM3+ is a dead platform so you have no upgrade path beyond the FX 8350, and the platform is really outdated missing a lot of newer connectivity options due to it dating back to 2011-2012. Some motherboard manufacturers have added more modern features like USB 3.1 and M.2 with third party controllers on certain boards in an attempt to keep AM3+ relevant, but those boards tend to be sold at a premium.