[SOLVED] Help - Audio problem on MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk mobo ?

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
I'm troubleshooting an audio problem on my mobo. I have an MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk mobo running Windows 10 Pro. I use an old set of external speakers with powered bass speaker. The monitor I use has a built in speaker. Last week or so, a power outage hit. Since then, I don't have audio from the external speakers but the built-in speaker on the monitor works. The RealTek device disappeared from device manager. After resetting the Realtek app using Windows App manager, the RealTek stuff appeared back in device manager.
I tested the speakers on another PC and they work.

In device manager I see entries for Digital Audio (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device) and Realtek Digital Output (Realtek Audio) underneath Audio inputs and outputs and for high definition audio device and Realtek Audio underneath Sound, video and game controllers. The properties tab for each Realtek entry says the device is working properly but the event viewer of the Realtek audio events tab has this message:

"HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0B00&SUBSYS_1462EC91&REV_1000\5&4ca4f48&0&0001 requires further installation"

Google search only gave one result, but it was about something else as far as I could tell. The event tab for realtek digital output said "configured but update failed". That's after I already tried updating it.

Given the device manager entries, is the realtek circuitry on the mobo fried? Does the fact that I can listen to audio on the monitor speakers mean that the Realtek hardware is still working? I have tried reseating the AUX cable for the speakers, but that didn't seem to have any effect. If possible, I'd like to get my system back to where it was before - being able to listen to the external speakers I have rather than the speaker on the monitor, but I don't understand what my options at this point are. In a worst case scenario, should I just buy a sound card to plug into my pc?

Before this problem came up, I had been thinking of replacing the speakers with a soundbar with separate subwoofer and connecting the soundbar with either an AUX cable, USB or optical cable. The soundbars I've looked at say they can be connected that way. If the mobo realtek circuitry is fried, would even USB and optical cable work? My mobo has only one HDMI connector to which I have the monitor connected, and the monitor is an ASUS VZ249 series that does not have HDMI ARC. I mean, I don't think it's designed to pass through audio signals.

thanks.

P.S.: I guess it boils down to asking if there is a way to determine if the Realtek circuitry on the mobo is fried or if the problem is with the AUX connector? The speakers themselves work. If the circuit is fried, what are my next set of options?

Last edited:

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Please mark as resolved. I bought an USB sound card adapter (from Dubalek), and it allows me to listen to the speakers. I'll be posting more questions about the audio chip at a later time.