Question Help! Audio Sounds Terrible! Bios issue?

Sep 13, 2019
Hello,

Came to this forum is hopes of finding an answer that many hours of google searching and futzing around could not.

The computer: Lenovo ideapad 720s-14ikb 81BD

The problem: Audio quality when I purchase the laptop in January 2019 was excellent for a laptop. I was actually really impressed by both the volume and quality of sound from the JBL speakers. Sometime in June or July the sound quality dramatically decreased both in volume (at 100% it is very quiet) and quality (extremely tinny).

Known info/theories: Unfortunately I cannot pinpoint exactly when this changed occurred. I was using the computer during this time, but not using the speakers much. That said, there are two possible culprits and I suspect the second. During the time when the audio quality dropped there was a major Windows 10 update. Around the same time there was a lenovo bios update. I believe, since buying the computer, i've installed 2 bios updates to the computer. My hope was that they would help solve a loud fan noise problem, but perhaps I went wrong in installing these updates without proper research. Nothing else major has changed with the computer.

I've tried: All the "normal" solutions. This involves reinstalling drivers, messing around in the "sound settings" including the "enhancements box" on/off, etc. Pretty much everything I can find about sound issues I've tried. I can't seem to find an old bios version for my computer and have read that rolling back the bios might be a bad idea anyway. There's no restore point back before the updates. Also, when plugged into the jack, headphones work fine.

SO.... any thoughts? I would love to have my speakers back to normal.

I'm happy to try and answer any questions.

Thanks,

Eric