Help finding the cause of my Packet Loss?

baldomero13

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
What things could I check for before calling Cox about my problem? I read somewhere that I have to pay them if the problem is on my side.

I'm using an Ethernet Cable connected to my router which is then connected to my Modem.
I am using Windows 7.
My internet service Provider is Cox.

Here are the things I've done:

>Ping test to google.com while also pinging my Router. My router works at a perfect 1~3ms, while my ping to google is at an average of 30~40ms. When I get packet loss, it occasionally rises to 1,000+ms before it send the "Request Timed Out." it's usually only to the ping test through google.com and never happens to my router(Other than that 1 night when it went nuts, but I was still able to use the net). I've also found out that every 10k ping sent, I lose about 20~70 packets, also it usually comes in a pair of 2, sometimes 3 packet loss each time I get it.

***When I receive "Request Timed Out" the lag and freeze I get when playing League of Legends is simultaneous. So the problem can't be the game.***

>I went to this site where it tested my connection for 7 days, maybe you guys could use it? I don't seem to know what to do with the information it has.
http://www.hostmycalls.com/isptest/reports.html?Project=PRO000008320120720032900&PName=Packet

>I've also tried resetting and turning off my Modem and router for a few minutes before plugging my Modem (first) then my Router (second).

What other information do you guys need to help me solve this? Please just ask.
How do I make sure that my Firmware, or all those other things are updated?

I looked at one of those reports, and while it does show 100% data loss, it also mentions you need to be sure your router accepts pings on the WAN side (many, perhaps most, don't by default). And most of the loss occurs right as it enters Cox’s network and your router specifically. So I'm not sure it's all that helpful if you’re not accepting pings on the WAN side (you may need to enable pings and try again).

baldomero13

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Thanks for replying!

How can I allow my router to accepts pings on the WAN side? Sorry, I'm not very good at these stuff yet.

It's probably an option on your router's firewall settings. So locate that using the router's administrative interface. Each router may be slightly different in how it's named. In my case, it named "Respond to ICMP ping" and has a checkbox (which is NOT checked by default). I would need to check it (and save the change of course) if I wanted my router to respond to pings from the WAN (internet) side.

baldomero13

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Thanks! I found it, mine is named "Respond to ping from Internet Port" I applied the change. Will keep an eye again if I still receive packet loss.

I also found out my firmware is outdated, mine being version x.x.x.14A and the new one being x.x.x.45N, I don't know how much updates I missed.

Let's see if this makes a difference.

EDIT:

Few seconds after updating, I still seem to be having packet loss, more so if ever. Maybe it was just at the time...

amandacisco

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
i am having similar issues. i called mediacom, they r my provider, and they said nothings wrong on their end. i have been at my computer for almost 12 hours straight trying to gt someone to help me. where did u find the settings for your router. and i dont mean to be trouble but could u give me step by step? im new at this trouble shooting. thanks in advance and hopefully we will get this figured out.