Status
Not open for further replies.

komando626

Honorable
May 2, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I have 3TB Seagate baracuda 7200 RPM, it was fine until yesterday. Yesterday the system still can read the HDD, but sometimes it's missing, and then shows up again in windows explorer. Today the HDD is not showing in windows explorer at all. So I check on the disk management, it show on disk 0, but there is an "unknown" and "Not Initialized" with a red star message. Every time I click the initialize then choose both MBR and GPT, an "incorrect function" error message shows up. How do I fix this? I've tried to switch SATA cable and power cable, but nothing happens.

I'm using Windows 10
I also have Samsung 860 EVO 500GB m.2 (use m.2 to 2.5inch case with data cable) and ADATA 8200Pro 256GB Plug to 2nd M.2 slot (cuz my main m.2 with nvme capability is broken). They work fine

Thx everyone

Last edited:
Solution
The drive's SMART data are stored in a reserved System Area on the platters. If CrystalDiskInfo, or your preferred tool, cannot retrieve a SMART report, then the drive most probably has internal problems.

komando626

Honorable
May 2, 2016
there's always a possibility that the drive has just failed.

i would try using a bootable disk management software and see if the disk can be recognized and accessed outside of Windows.
do you have any reference about the software to use?

Looks dead. Replace.
Seagate Barracudas are all SMR drives. Avoid those.
I would love to replace this trash, but I need the data in it :(

how well the recovery will be? 100%? less than 70%?
It depends entirely on the failure, only the recovery service can give a somewhat accurate estimate after examining the drive. This won't be cheap. This is why we preach backups here. If you had one then it's only a matter of a) replace the failed drive, b) restore the most current backup, c) profit. Might take a couple of hours tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.