Question HELP: Low CPU and GPU usage in almost every game causing low fps and stutters

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
Hello,

I've had my current pc setup for a while and since I got the new GPU (about 3 years ago) my games have been running very poorly.

First to start of with my specs:
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Little overclock)
- Nvidia 2070 super
- 32GB DDR4 RAM (16GB of Hyperx Fury and 16GB of Corsair Vengaence, both 3200mhz)
- 970 PRO NVME SSD
- Seasonic 650 Watt GOLD psu
- Msi b450 gaming plus max (Bios dated 20-10-2023)

I notice that almost every game I own and played runs very poorly. I get multiple small stutters en always have low FPS, but the weird thing is, both my CPU and GPU are always at low usage, as if they just don't want to function fully. Most of the time the usage for both is only 20%-40% in all games. Even simple games like Minecraft with low settings.

The only game where this (almost) doesn't occur is Warthunder, here I have Anti-aliasing fully off, and my GPU usage sits around 60-70%, with high FPS.

Also in benchmarks my GPU and CPU work flawless, without a problem, also at high usage and high scores/fps.

I've tried every simple/basic thing;
- Resetting PC
- Updating drivers (GPU/Bios, etc)
- Trying to change some 3D settings in
- Changing Power plans
- Updating PC
- Resetting GPU drivers
- Changing a lot of settings in games

Sometimes I have a feeling Antialiasing is causing this a little bit, because in Warthunder, if I turn it off it runs (almost) smoothly, but weird that if I try that in other games, I don't get the same result.

Have been trying to figure this out since I got my GPU upgraded.

BTW, my GPU also has a small coil whine if it uses 3D based graphics (in games and in benchmarks).

If anyone has any idea on how to maybe fix it, please let me know, I've been searching for a long time, but no solutions.

- Overclocked the CPU after it started
- Got a new gold psu after it started
- Added 16 GB of ram after it started

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
32GB DDR4 RAM (16GB of Hyperx Fury and 16GB of Corsair Vengaence, both 3200mhz)
Added 16 GB of ram after it started
it isn't helping and if anything could be making things worse.
AMD CPU really don't work well with mixed ram.
Better off choosing one as the chances of BSOD are larger with mixed ram.

Resetting PC
Tried a clean install? Resets don't replace the drivers, you could still have something old on there slowing it down.
I would remove OC before doing this.

Updating drivers (GPU/Bios, etc)
you have more drivers than that. It could be NIC drivers or something else causing the problem.

BTW, my GPU also has a small coil whine if it uses 3D based graphics (in games and in benchmarks).
that doesn't effect anything apart from GPU and your ears.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Little overclock)
- Nvidia 2070 super
- 32GB DDR4 RAM (16GB of Hyperx Fury and 16GB of Corsair Vengaence, both 3200mhz)
- 970 PRO NVME SSD
- Seasonic 650 Watt GOLD psu
- Msi b450m pro-vdh max (Bios dated 20-10-2023)
our systems started the same, almost... different motherboard. I had the same CPU, GPU, & PSU maker. Some things have since changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
it isn't helping and if anything could be making things worse.
AMD CPU really don't work well with mixed ram.
Better off choosing one as the chances of BSOD are larger with mixed ram.

Tried a clean install? Resets don't replace the drivers, you could still have something old on there slowing it down.
I would remove OC before doing this.

you have more drivers than that. It could be NIC drivers or something else causing the problem.

that doesn't effect anything apart from GPU and your ears.

our systems started the same, almost... different motherboard. I had the same CPU, GPU, & PSU maker. Some things have since changed.
Hello Colif, Thanks a lot for the response! For the ram, they are the same speed and binned the same, so I really don't it causes a problem. And it has no effect on my main problem.

By resetting I meant a clean install, English isn't my first language.

What drivers could I still try?

Good to know, it's definitely an annoying sound...

Colif

Win 11 Master
try updating your lan drivers, its could be reason.

Yes, I meant a clean install.

or

since i don't know which one you on.

For the ram, they are the same speed and binned the same, so I really don't it causes a problem. And it has no effect on my main problem.
Your wrong there. It's very likely there's some instability caused by mixing the DIMMs. Even if they are the same model family, and speed, it is highly likely they are built on different silicon. As suggested. Try them with only one 2 x 16 pack. And test both outside of Windows with memtest to ensure they are functining correctly.

Is your ram runnign XMP? when you updated the bios did yo uclear CMOS afterwards?

What method are you rusing to OC the CPU? PBO/CO, Ryzen Master, Bios?

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Colif

Win 11 Master
Even if they same make, if they not part of same set, they can still cause problems. Ram in sets only tested to work with other sticks in that set. Add non matching, weirdness can happen.

He could try with the new set since he was getting the behaviour with old ram anyway.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
Your wrong there. It's very likely there's some instability caused by mixing the DIMMs. Even if they are the same model family, and speed, it is highly likely they are built on different silicon. As suggested. Try them with only one 2 x 16 pack. And test both outside of Windows with memtest to ensure they are functining correctly.

Is your ram runnign XMP? when you updated the bios did yo uclear CMOS afterwards?

What method are you rusing to OC the CPU? PBO/CO, Ryzen Master, Bios?
As I said in the description, I only added the ram after it started happening. So that isn't the cause of my main problem. Ram is just running at it's normal clockspeed, 3200 mhz. When updating bios I cleared Cmos. To OC the CPU I use the bios (Just the standard CPU booster from AMD)

added the ram after it started happening. So that isn't the cause of my main problem. Ram is just running at it's normal clockspeed, 3200 mhz...
what sort of answer do you want to hear?
you don't seem open to trying suggestions from the members offering you help.

even if you saw a particular issue before the addition of the second module,
mixing kits will often lead to more instability either way.

Updating drivers...What drivers could I still try?
are you manually downloading and installing all latest offered drivers directly from the motherboard manufacturer support pages?
or using motherboard control software or some 3rd party tool to look for them?

Resetting GPU drivers
by running DDU from Windows' Safe Mode and selecting to remove all available data?

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
this isn't exactly a fast gaming processor.
it could be holding back the RTX 2070 Super from the performance you may be expecting.

you also don't seem to mention your overall cooling setup(case, fan setup, CPU cooler, etc)
or anything related to the range of temperatures you are seeing.

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
what sort of answer do you want to hear?
you don't seem open to trying suggestions from the members offering you help.
That's because some things are already stated in my description of the problem. I have feeling is GPU related and I'm searching for a way to see if I can fix it.

are you manually downloading and installing all latest offered drivers directly from the motherboard manufacturer support pages?
or using motherboard control software or some 3rd party tool to look for them?
I did that manually through MSI's website.
by running DDU from Windows' Safe Mode and selecting to remove all available data?
Yes exactly that, have done that 2 times already.
this isn't exactly a fast gaming processor.
it could be holding back the RTX 2070 Super from the performance you may be expecting.
I know, but it isn't a bottleneck in any way, because the usage of the processor is also so low, so that's what makes it weird. The usage of everything in my system just stays low for some reason. Temps are good, through MSI afterburner but also just by feeling the heat coming of the components.
you also don't seem to mention your overall cooling setup(case, fan setup, CPU cooler, etc)
or anything related to the range of temperatures you are seeing.
I use a TG5 case and upgrade the fans to corsairs. So 2 pulling in 1 pushing out (the back). I have a 140 mm cooler, can't remember the brand, but it's a pretty good one, temps seem to be good.

I really do appreciate the help, but I've already tried a lot of stuff, so it gets frustrating sometimes.

I get it's frustrating. We've all been there.

The suggestions are to rule things out, untill we narrow it down to the cause (hopefully). Without veryfying that it's 100% not the ram, then we are only guessing.

I know the repition must be painful.

But, you have done most everything so far, and there are limitations for us because we are not infront of the machine.

temps seem to be good
like what;
CPU,
GPU,
VRMs,
RAM,
disk(s)?

just by feeling the heat coming of the components...
upgrade the fans to corsairs...
I have a 140 mm cooler, can't remember the brand
that's cool you have a thermometer built into your hands.

even Corsair makes very low quality fans.
like most hardware the actual specs of the fans is what's important, not just the manufacturer.

and there are very many low quality 140mm coolers out there.
some with bad fin density, some with worthless fans, some that don't make contact well, etc.

Seasonic 650 Watt
and which particular model and what is it's overall age?

even Seasonic has produced lower quality units not intended for gaming or other intensive purposes.

I use a TG5 case
manufactured by whom
or just some generic?

don't remember seeing any just TG5 anywhere.
include a link to the manufacturer's product page if available.

Last edited:
Have you tried to reset the pwoer plans to default? You can do this by pasting the following codes to Powershell:

Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Balanced: powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

It's always good to rese these once in a while. Test and see if it helps.

Also, just for clarity. There have been many posts on Tom's where the CPU/GPU usage are low. Often the remedy is turning on XMP! Suddenly the low usage dynamic changes, and the GPU is more saturated with -prerednered frames. I'm still not sure from your posts if you've enabled XMP, or if timings etc have been set manually.

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
I get it's frustrating. We've all been there.

The suggestions are to rule things out, untill we narrow it down to the cause (hopefully). Without veryfying that it's 100% not the ram, then we are only guessing.

I know the repition must be painful.

But, you have done most everything so far, and there are limitations for us because we are not infront of the machine.
I definitely get that. My feeling does really say it's the gpu, because that is the part I swapped and after that this problem started occurring. Then I added and swapped things like the fans, the psu and added extra ram.

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71Y4AwERiqL.jpg

Lets just assume all your parts play nice with each other. The ram I will let the AMD guys who know there stuff on ram for Ryzen's guide you there.

I'm wondering about temps on your 970 PRO NVME SSD sandwiched under your flaming hot GPU while gaming. Is there cooling for that 970 PRO NVME SSD.
No, no cooling on the 970 pro, I btw have the MSI gaming plus full atx motherboard. My mistake there. So it's above the gpu. My bad.

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
like what;
CPU,
GPU,
VRMs,
RAM,
disk(s)?
Everything, CPU en GPU don't get above 70 C and the rest stays under 55 C
that's cool you have a thermometer built into your hands.

even Corsair makes very low quality fans.
like most hardware the actual specs of the fans is what's important, not just the manufacturer.

and there are very many low quality 140mm coolers out there.
some with bad fin density, some with worthless fans, some that don't make contact well, etc.
Cmon, It's not that hard to feel the difference of 60 C or 90 C. My pc also never crashes or something in that direction, which occurs more when overheating.
Checked the thermal paste a couple of times and seemed good everytime. Found the name of the cooler: Fortis 3 RGB.
and which particular model and what is it's overall age?

even Seasonic has produced lower quality units not intended for gaming or other intensive purposes.
Age is about 4 years. Also upgraded that after it started occuring. Had 550 W before, that was silver rated. This one is gold. Really can't find the name of it, sorry,
manufactured by whom
or just some generic?

don't remember seeing any just TG5 anywhere.
include a link to the manufacturer's product page if available.
Sharkoon TG5
https://nl.sharkoon.com/product/TG5

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
Have you tried to reset the pwoer plans to default? You can do this by pasting the following codes to Powershell:

Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Also, just for clarity. There have been many posts on Tom's where the CPU/GPU usage are low. Often the remedy is turning on XMP! Suddenly the low usage dynamic changes, and the GPU is more saturated with -prerednered frames. I'm still not sure from your posts if you've enabled XMP, or if timings etc have been set manually.
I am going to check that right now, is it any different by doing it through Powershell then just the normal settings? Checking XMP right now...

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019

Here is a ss of my bios:
https://ibb.co/mtjsHZG

I am going to check that right now, is it any different by doing it through Powershell then just the normal settings? Checking XMP right now...
So, by doing this in powershell (needs to be admin), you will reset all the powerplans to default. I know myself that I've played with power plans to eek out better performance, but sometimes forgotten Ive done it (I'm getting old!). So every now and again, Ill reset them if I'm having issues I can't find the fault of.

Worth it just to be sure.

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
So, by doing this in powershell (needs to be admin), you will reset all the powerplans to default. I know myself that I've played with power plans to eek out better performance, but sometimes forgotten Ive done it (I'm getting old!). So every now and again, Ill reset them if I'm having issues I can't find the fault of.

Worth it just to be sure.
Tried it! Changes nothing really unfortunately. Thanks for the help though.