Help me decide whether to upgrade my old Desktop, build a new Desktop, or just buy a laptop

Petirdo

Commendable
May 28, 2016
Hello,
I wanted to buy a laptop, build a new Desktop, or upgrade my old Desktop. So, i want some help so i can decide which option best suits me.
My Budget is around 1500-1700 Dollars.

A. Upgrading my current Desktop
This is my list for the current Desktop: https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/qYRZcY
Added to that: Integrated Graphics intel HD 4000
The current build was working decently at the time i got it, but now it's not living up to the challenge.
I am an engineering student, so i am using CAD a lot, having to deal with some simulations, and of course i love gaming but i have to set everything on low or just wait until i upgrade my gaming setup and play all the games i am missing.
So, what i was thinking is:
1. Adding an Asus Dual Gefroce GTX 1060 Oc 6 GB DDR5 Graphics Card
2. Replacing my power supply with Seasonic 850W 80 Plus Gold ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply
3. Adding another 2TB HD Caviar Black WD
4. Adding a 240 GB SSD Green WD
5. Adding another 8GB RAM
6. Possibly buy a new MasterCase Pro 6 ATX Mid-tower Computer Case
I just want to know if these components are compatible with each other, is this even a good approach since now we have Generation 8 core and i9 as well.

B. Building a new Desktop:
This is my list for the new Desktop build: https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/R2zBq4
I am going to use the same monitor i have now
Some other considerations are:
-Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
-Motherboard Asus PRIME H370-A or PRIME Z370-P

C. Getting a Laptop:
I have used laptops before but i never bought one for myself. That's why i am afraid of getting one, because battery life, how many hours will it stay on with battery, etc...
What i have across to be decent and close to the price of building a new PC:
-Lenovo Y720 - Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 15.6 inch FHD, 2TB HDD + 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM DDR4, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060-6GB DDR5
-Lenovo Y520 - Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 15.6 inch FHD, 2TB HDD + 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM DDR4, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti-4GB DDR5
-Dell Inspiron 7577 - Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 15.6 inch FHD, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM DDR4, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060-6GB DDR5

I am only considering a laptop for it's portability, but my Desktop is open almost 24/7 so i don't know if a laptop can handle that. Also, i don't like the idea of always having to recharge my battery or plugging in the charger to play a game that lasts more than one hour.
I would really appreciate your help in deciding what can would be the best approach.
Thank you for time and care... ^_^

Jun 16, 2018
100% no way go for C, especially if you're a heavy user.been there.
Personally would go for B. Pretty sure a 850w power supply a bit too powerful, save some money there. And if possible sell off your old parts and try to get a 1070.

For your course work: Check your software requirements, some suites prefer Intel while some will benefit from the extra cores and threads of an AMD build. Also, some can use the GPU to accelerate complex simulations.
For gaming: Intel still has an advantage for pure gaming, particularly so if you're using a high refresh HD display or play a lot of older titles that cannot use multiple CPU cores. Move up to a higher resolution and that advantage largely disappears, though with any restrictions mainly coming from the GPU rather than the CPU.

Probably I'd build new rather than upgrade: You'll have all new up-to-date hardware and selling the existing system will be so much easier because it'll be a complete, ready to go unit.

Agree with Carlosipodtouch: For these heavy loads a laptop would be a poor investment but it may prove handy to have something mobile to carry into lectures/classes if you don't already have such a device.

The system in B looks promising as a solid, all round build but the power supply is too much, 650 Watts will be more than enough and you could put the money saved into faster memory-plenty of CAD and simulation software likes fast memory.

Petirdo

Commendable
May 28, 2016

Yeah I was worried about that concerning the laptop.
You don't think going for upgrading my old PC is a good approach?
Thanks for you idea about selling my old PC though :D

Petirdo

Commendable
May 28, 2016

Yeah I am going to look through the software i am using, thanks for pointing that out.
I will consider selling my old parts, and see if i can get GTX 1070 or more memory cards
Thank you so much for your concern :love: