Question Help me make sense of USB headers

Nov 26, 2022
I just took the plunge toward a partial refresh of my PC and PCPartsPicker is warning me about something that is clearly out of my league.
The Motherboard is a B450 Tomahawk and the case a Lancool III.

Which adapter should I buy ? How many ? Do you have a reference, an Amazon page ? Because USB adapters, even USB headers adapters is giving me a lot of products.
If I don't buy anything will I be able to use my front USB, albeit slower, or will the connection be impossible ?

Any help appreciated, this is only my second build.

xbT2NWk.png

kanewolf

Titan
I just took the plunge toward a partial refresh of my PC and PCPartsPicker is warning me about something that is clearly out of my league.
The Motherboard is a B450 Tomahawk and the case a Lancool III.

Which adapter should I buy ? How many ? Do you have a reference, an Amazon page ? Because USB adapters, even USB headers adapters is giving me a lot of products.
If I don't buy anything will I be able to use my front USB, albeit slower, or will the connection be impossible ?

Any help appreciated, this is only my second build.

xbT2NWk.png
IMO, this is a situation where you wait until you have have the parts in-hand and can visualize what you need. Is not having the front USB ports a significant impact for a few days?

Reactions: Li Kao
Connect USB 3.0 ports to USB 3.0 header on motherboard..
For USB 3.2 Type-C port you'll need adapter card. Your motherboard doesn't have necessary USB 3.2 header for this.
But it's probably not a big problem to not have USB Type-C port.

https://www.amazon.com/Expansion-10Gpbs-Express-Header-Adapter/dp/B09C58N66R

Nov 26, 2022
Well as expected it didn't turn out perfect. Half the cables in the case are unlabelled and the doc is a joke.
I can only suppose that what I couldn't find where to plus were 3x RGB cables and 2x USB.
And if one of the USB plug is completely new to me, the second one looks like the USB one my Mobo, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the same number of pins.

DSzymborski

Titan
Well as expected it didn't turn out perfect. Half the cables in the case are unlabelled and the doc is a joke.
I can only suppose that what I couldn't find where to plus were 3x RGB cables and 2x USB.
And if one of the USB plug is completely new to me, the second one looks like the USB one my Mobo, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the same number of pins.

What cables are there that were not described in detail on page four of the manual? We could possibly help if we know exactly what you were looking at.

Nov 26, 2022
Well, as describing them from memory won't help, I plan to take some pics today. But yeah, I suppose 1x 3.2 Gen 1 and 1x 3.2 Gen 2 USB headers (one of them is new to me, it doesn't have pins, looks more like a traditionnal cable). And 3x RGB cables for the front fans. I'm not a die hard RGB enthusiast, but it feels a little sad to have the hardware but not being able to use it. And that's without mentioning the creepy red LED strip in the case that I can't change the color of, lol.

Nov 26, 2022
I had this one on hand, so easy peasy :

mDMhVGt.jpg

The two USB, I suppose. The one on the left is the new to me one. The one on the right doesn't have the same number of PIN than my mobo, or I was tired.

Be right back with the remaining cables, but in the meantime, enjoy a cat pic.

OaIYtIY.jpg

PS. I dearly hope that I will be able to resize the pics once posted, this is humongous. (Yes !!!)

Nov 26, 2022
While looking for the other cables I found that one

eoU8oAl.jpg

And here is one of the three RGB cables (?)

lDXBQPi.jpg

While it may result in some dumb mistakes, keep in mind that it's only my second build and the first didn't have all those things.

Edit - Let's not forget the positive. The combo of Lancool III and Pure Rock 2 is putting my 5800X3D at sub 30 in idle. I didn't expect that level of cooling after years of NZXT H500 / Wraith Prism / 2600x

The one on the right doesn't have the same number of PIN than my mobo, or I was tired.
It most certainly has correct count of pins.
You have to be careful with pins in USB 3.0 header. If they are are bent (even slightly), plug will not go into header.
Forcing plug into header (if they are not aligned properly) can bend pins completely or even break them.
And here is one of the three RGB cables (?)
Your motherboard has 12V RGB headers.
Your pc case has 5V ARGB connectors. They are not compatible. Connecting 5V ARGB to 12V RGB headers will damage your RGB (it gets fried).
You'll need a separate ARGB controller hardware (for RGB control from windows).
Or go without controlling RGB, you can still get some limited RGB control with buttons on pc case.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022
I don't want to spam, but the doc was undecipherable to me yesterday and now with some rest and the pics, I may understand which is which ?

First pic
Pretty sure I don't have 3.2 USB on the B450 Tomahawk
The 3.0 didn't seem to plug in the mobo either, I don't think they have the same pin number, but it may be because I was tired ? I think I have a 20 pin and not a 19 on the mobo.

Second pic (we don't count the cat)
Is it the cable on the middle far left of the doc ? But I don't think I have 5V but 12V

Third pic
They seem to be the three RBG , no idea where they go

To sum it up
I need an adapter for USB 3.2
I should be able to plug the 3.0 (edit: confirmed)
I need an RGB controller where I would plug both the lone third pic cable and the three RGB ones ?

Last edited: