Bubs

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
This is my first post and i would like to say hello every1.
but i need to ask your help casue i think i have broke my computer:

right i am sort of in the process of learning a+ course. well while i was reading the a+ book i decided to open my pc up and take a look while studing. well bad idea. i decided to look at the cpu. its an intel pentium4 3ghz 512/800. right like an idiot i dropped it and bent the pins on the cpu. so i looked on ebay and asked the seller of a intel pentium 2.4ghz 512/533 cpu the same question. he said no problem this will work fine. for £20 i took a chance. well i recieved today plugged it in all properly. but my monitor won't come on. only black screen. Now the Pc starts up all ok but black screen. so i turned it off and tried again and the pc sort of run then turned off sraight away. iv checked i did'nt knock the ram sticks and i did'nt touch anything else. does anybody have any idea what to do next?

What a Great Start to My Computer Technician career. LOL

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
...Now the Pc starts up all ok but black screen.
What starts up? Do you get a POST beep?

so i turned it off and tried again and the pc sort of run then turned off sraight away...
Did you replace the CPU heatsink/fan assembly? Did you apply new thermal grease after cleaning off all the old muck from your heatsink?