Help me rebuild my ancient computer for less than $500.

Minus

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I'm looking to rebuild my old computer from 2004, without spending a lot of cash. Please do not suggest any Asus parts, as I've had nothing but poor customer service from them and will no longer buy.

What will you be doing with this PC?
Gaming, Adobe creative suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.), general use

What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Under $500, preferably $450 including shipping costs. No sales tax in my state.

What exact parts do you need for that budget?

RAM, CPU, Video Card, Hard Drive, motherboard. I want an Ivy bridge quad core processor. I’d like atleast 500 gb of hard drive space. I’ve had good luck with Western Digital hard drives. I’d prefer a PC that overall runs cool and quiet over a loud hot powerhouse. I’d like 8gb of ram, but if nessary to save costs I suppose I could settle with 4 gb.

If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
Lian-Li PC7H Case
http://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/Case/Lian-Li-PC7H-black-1721

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 – 430W.
http://thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1172&ID=1541

It has PCI express cables, but I bought it around 5 years ago years ago and I’m not sure if it has this 8 pin connector mentioned on the website. Is that something I can buy someplace? Or does this cable come with the motherboard or CPU? I didn't use the powersupply much, as I bought a laptop not long after.

D-Link DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Adapter
http://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/Cables-and-Adapters/D-Link-DWL-G520-Wireless-PCI-Adapter-1388

Case fans

Will you be overclocking?
No

What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
U2311H 23 inch Flat Panel Display, 1920 x 1080

When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
As soon as possible

What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
I want USB 3.0 for the future. Firewire would be nice but I don’t think it is required. I will only use one video card. I would like 4 slots for RAM and the ability to upgrade to 32 GB of total ram. I’m thinking I should go with a Micro ATX motherboard so if I go switch to a small case in the future.

Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes Windows 7 64 bit.

I'm a little out of touch with the latest computer tech, I'm only really confident that the CPU and video card are good for this budget, the rest I'm not sure on, or if there is anything I'm overlooking. Also it is a far drive, but there is a Microcenter the next state over. I will be going there on Saturday to pick up the CPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($75.89 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.00 @ B&H)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.55 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $469.42
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-25 19:09 EDT-0400)

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I'm surprised you didn't get any replies to this post. I'd suggest taking a look at Tom's $500 System Builder Marathon systems. If you go back one or two builds you can probably piece one of them for well under your budget since those parts will now be "older" and cheaper. Have fun!