[SOLVED] Help Needed to Connect to Remote PC via Network.

Lemms

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Hi,
I have a W10 PC running in the garage connected via ethernet as a backing up machine (BUPC) with RAID configured drive space, I run Iperius back up software on the main family machine and it has been working well doing weekly incremental backups of all our accounts. Recently I have received errors that the BUPC is not available on the network, something's gone awry I thought, and had a poke around. It appears I can connect to the machine with a remote desktop connection but when ever I try to access the public folder it tells me the network path doesn't exist. I have combed through all the obvious sharing menus on both sides and all is fine, I am at a loss.

This seemed to occur after I ran an AVG scan on BUPC and Bitdefender on my main PC recognised a port scan and blocked it, I'm wondering if a port has been blocked although I have tried using the IP of the BUPC in the exception list and even completely disabled the firewall but no luck.

Can anyone help? :)

Update: I can access the BUPC from other computers on the network but my main PC is not visible? Doing a port scan from the BUPC reveals one called BitDefender V1.0 or something, I have since completely uninstalled Bit defender from my main PC.

Last edited:
Solution
I cannot access the remote PC shared files from the main one (interestingly I can connect via Remote Desktop Connection?) but I can vice versa. All troubleshooting says it needs more information to fix. I get this if I try to connect to the public folder:
netfail.JPG

Setup a local user with a password, when you connect to the shared drive use the local user account to authenticate. So would be PCNAME/USERNAME then the password you set.

Lemms

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I cannot access the remote PC shared files from the main one (interestingly I can connect via Remote Desktop Connection?) but I can vice versa. All troubleshooting says it needs more information to fix. I get this if I try to connect to the public folder:
netfail.JPG

netfail.JPG

Setup a local user with a password, when you connect to the shared drive use the local user account to authenticate. So would be PCNAME/USERNAME then the password you set.

Solution