Neot1c

Commendable
Mar 21, 2017
I just built a new pc and When I try to boot up it goes into the UEFI then the fans on the gpu stop and the screen goes black. We tried everything, cables are seated, ram slots swapped. I can’t boot directly off of the mobo because my cpu doesn’t support video. I believe it’s soemthing wrong with the gpu. Can someone explain to me why the gpu stops spinning after 10-30 seconds. The lights on the gpu stay on but the fans stop.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QYvL3b

To begin with, you have a crappy power supply. The BR series, sorry, but they are not very good. For the level of quality of the rest of the build, it's a shame you chose to go with a bargain barrel power supply model.

Do you have the supplemental PCI power cables from the PSU to the graphics card connected? Are BOTH the EPS and ATX power cables to the motherboard connected?

Have you tried REMOVING the graphics card and re-seating it in the PCI slot? Sometimes that's literally all it takes. Not usually, but occasionally.

Did you buy this graphics card new, or used?

Is your power supply plugged directly into the wall socket, or are you using a power strip? If using a power strip, ditch that idea and plug the PSU directly into the wall.

The fans will stop because these are not needed to spin while its cool. Normally the fans of modern GPUs will only spin while reaching a predefined temperature like e.g. >60°C

Do you boot with a preinstalled Windows version? Or do you wanna boot from an install media?

Can you enter the UEFI? Update it by ezflash within the UEFI (download the bios file from asus and unzip it to an USB flash drive)

remove everything but motherboard, power supply, CPU with cooler and fan, one RAM in the correct slot (have a look at the manual´s recommended DIMM slot)

Neot1c

Commendable
Mar 21, 2017
The fans will stop because these are not needed to spin while its cool. Normally the fans of modern GPUs will only spin while reaching a predefined temperature like e.g. >60°C

Do you boot with a preinstalled Windows version? Or do you wanna boot from an install media?

Can you enter the UEFI?

remove everything but motherboard, power supply, CPU with cooler and fan, one RAM in the correct slot (have a look at the manual´s recommended DIMM slot)
When the gpu stops spinning the screen goes black and morning says signal is lost

Neot1c

Commendable
Mar 21, 2017
To begin with, you have a crappy power supply. The BR series, sorry, but they are not very good. For the level of quality of the rest of the build, it's a shame you chose to go with a bargain barrel power supply model.

Do you have the supplemental PCI power cables from the PSU to the graphics card connected? Are BOTH the EPS and ATX power cables to the motherboard connected?

Have you tried REMOVING the graphics card and re-seating it in the PCI slot? Sometimes that's literally all it takes. Not usually, but occasionally.

Did you buy this graphics card new, or used?

Is your power supply plugged directly into the wall socket, or are you using a power strip? If using a power strip, ditch that idea and plug the PSU directly into the wall.
Yes we have supplemental pcie cables. The gpu is new

Can you enter the UEFI? Update it by ezflash within the UEFI (download the bios file from asus and unzip it to an USB flash drive)

This is seemingly not the situation since as he said even earlier, the display is lost when the fans shut off. So it's not normal semi-passive behavior, something else is going on.

TRENDING THREADS