Help please...

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Ok I recently purchased a Q9550 and a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. I overclocked it to 3.8GHz and it was stable for 12ish hours running prime95 on small FFTs. So I figured it was stable and the temps were decent, never going over 55. I quickly noticed that with every day programs my machine would crash. Especially when using memory intensive programs such as photoshop. I backed the overclock all the way down to 3.5 then ran prime95 using the Blend test and it crashed it almost immediately so I'm assuming that my ram is not stable.

My question is how can I get it stable? Before I bought the Q9550 I was running a E6300 at a totally stable 3.0GHz with the exact same motherboard and ram as the Q9550 has now.

I'm still pretty new to this overclocking thing but I have read the sticky on this forum and I just cant seem to figure this out so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

My Specs: 1.) MB=Asus P5Q Deluxe
2.) RAM= CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (4GB)
3.) CPU= Q9550 (E0)

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
1.) As I said I am new to overclocking and I cant figure out how to unlink the memory. I will do this if you can tell me how or show me where I can find instructions on how to do this.
2.) Yes I have used memtest and it crashes as soon as it starts running.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Its fairly simple...the area where you change the FSB speed there should be something that says "memory ratio" or something along those lines....

Set that to unlinked

You are saying you used the memtest that you burn on a cd and boot into it?

Or are you reffering to the one in prim95?

What mobo are you using?

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I have used both prime95 and memtest. Prime95 is stable as long as I run Small FFTs but when I have prime95 use the blend test it crashes as fast as memtest crashes.

I have an Asus p5q deluxe.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Ok, it seems as simple as this....

Just unlink the memory.

And sorry, didnt notice that you posted your specs in your OP [:jaydeejohn:4]

rynhrst

Distinguished
May 7, 2006

I just checked again and these are all the settings that I am offered: CPU ratio setting, FSB Frequency, PCIE Frequency, FSB Strap to North Bridge, and DRAM Frequency. Nothing to unlink the ram and when I adjust the fsb the ram still goes up and the only adjusting that i can do to the ram is increase the speed.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
^ Sorry man... i dont have your motherboard. So i cant go into your bios and do it for you.

All i can say is that is: You need to unlink your ram to get it stable because that is the source of your problems.

What i suggest is use google. And read your manual.

Here is what i found on a different thread...

"According to your manual, the options for dram frequency will change as your fsb changes, so that in mind, check the options available to you as you raise your fsb."