Help! Power Supply Woes!

newtactics

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Hey, I have been having a big problem with a power supply that I just installed. This is my second semester of my senior year in college and this is the WRONG time for this to be happening.

I had a nasty sounding PSU which I replaced, 3 year old Antec SL350 for an Antec SP350. Intel board, 2.6C. The new PSU powers up the board and powers my case fans, my CPU fan, and gives proper information to the BIOS. The system will boot through to the point where it looks for a bootdisk, so entering bios is no problem. My problem is that my HDs will not power up and my CD drive has a light but the tray will not open when I press eject. I hear no activity from the HDs. I have no idea whats the problem! Anyone know these symptoms? I have looked around for information and the only thing that I can see that might be the problem is that the 12v is a little undervolting.
Did I fry the drives?
Are there mysterious laws of PSU compatability that I have broken?

Thanks and HELP!

:)

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Under volting will not fry the drives unless you leave it on for a really long time like that. Check the back of the power supply and make sure the 115V is showing and NOT the 230V. Also reseat the the power connector in everything. If this does not solve go exchange the PSU.

newtactics

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Fixed!

Evidently it was a problem with the IDE cable. It mysteriously went bad when I changed out the PSU. I unplugged the cable and the HDs powered up. Replaced the cable and here I am.

No more heart attack.