Help ! "rundll.exe" is hogging resources

My inspiron has a problem. I am running Norton AV and Internet Security
(auto update). I run Spybot and AdAware weekly. And I have blown out the
temp internet files/cookies.

Unfortunately, my system regularly grinds to a halt, programs crash, etc.
If I Ctrl+Alt+Del and view the processes tab, it's always "rundll.exe"
that's hogging 99% of the resources and it won't let go unless I reboot.

I did a search on the Microsoft support page and Norton's, but nothing
specifically came up. As far as I can find out, this process is a pre-fetch
utility that holds data on hand that the system "thinks" you're going to
want... but it's just annoying and anti-productive.

Any ideas? Is this some unidentified trojan? Is there something that I can
toggle? All advice is appreciated.

"halnjoy" <halnjoy@ptdprolog.net> wrote in message
> My inspiron has a problem. I am running Norton AV and Internet Security
> (auto update). I run Spybot and AdAware weekly. And I have blown out the
> temp internet files/cookies.
>
> Unfortunately, my system regularly grinds to a halt, programs crash, etc.
> If I Ctrl+Alt+Del and view the processes tab, it's always "rundll.exe"
> that's hogging 99% of the resources and it won't let go unless I reboot.
>
> I did a search on the Microsoft support page and Norton's, but nothing
> specifically came up. As far as I can find out, this process is a
> pre-fetch
> utility that holds data on hand that the system "thinks" you're going to
> want... but it's just annoying and anti-productive.
>
> Any ideas? Is this some unidentified trojan? Is there something that I
> can
> toggle? All advice is appreciated.

might be useful........certainly can't do any harm!

Likewise, having a read at

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/rundll/

is always beneficial.

Jd

rundll.exe is something of a mystery and there are some variants. some
spelled a little differently, etc. at first i thought it was a virus,
as some have suggested. and then i became aware that it was an intregal
part of the windows os. but here's the tricky part: sometimes it is a
virus. it all depends on what's going on with your comp. i went about
deleting and shredding various rundll.exe files for the better part of
two days only to have them reappear. after further investigation i
concluded my rundll's were legit and not some malicious code. i should
also point out that my rundll.exe appears only once in my task manager
list of processes and does not use any system resources at all. if you
are having problems and have the time, simply use various search
engines to help lead you to websites with possible solutions. simply
type rundll.exe in the engine search box and websites with various(and
sometimes conflicting info) will appear with rundll.exe info. sometimes
confusing, but that's how i solved my rundll issue. good luck to you.

Wow, consider paragraphs.

RunDll is just what it's name implies. It's a starter program that Runs
DLLs. The real code is in the DLL that is being loaded. Therefore, RunDLL
shows up as the problem, but NEVER is. The DLL that is running is the
problem, but there is no way to know which program that is.

Tom
"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
> rundll.exe is something of a mystery and there are some variants. some
> spelled a little differently, etc. at first i thought it was a virus,
> as some have suggested. and then i became aware that it was an intregal
> part of the windows os. but here's the tricky part: sometimes it is a
> virus. it all depends on what's going on with your comp. i went about
> deleting and shredding various rundll.exe files for the better part of
> two days only to have them reappear. after further investigation i
> concluded my rundll's were legit and not some malicious code. i should
> also point out that my rundll.exe appears only once in my task manager
> list of processes and does not use any system resources at all. if you
> are having problems and have the time, simply use various search
> engines to help lead you to websites with possible solutions. simply
> type rundll.exe in the engine search box and websites with various(and
> sometimes conflicting info) will appear with rundll.exe info. sometimes
> confusing, but that's how i solved my rundll issue. good luck to you.

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:
>deleting and shredding various rundll.exe files for the better part of
>two days only to have them reappear. after further investigation i
>concluded my rundll's were legit and not some malicious code.

That's kinda suspicious, while much of the malware around has
co-operating processes that keep an eye on each other and is robust
enough to survive file deletion, none of the M$ software in existance
is robust at all...

Search your drive(s) for rundll.exe and see where it lives, that'll be
a clue... Different spellings are also a fingerprint of malware...

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in news:_YSdnelxB-u7KCPcRVn-
1Q@comcast.com:

> The DLL that is running is the problem, but there is no way to know
> which program that is.

Using standard tools supplied with Windows, I agree. You may find
Process Explorer helpful:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

In particular, you can set it up to display the DLLs used by any
process.

TRENDING THREADS