toxicologyoverload

Commendable
Sep 29, 2018
Hello,
I have been looking to upgrade my pc and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of good parts to upgrade on my build.
I was thinking about if it would be worth upgrading the CPU but I don't know what would be the best value for money with this motherboard.
Any help is appreciated :)

my build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mLy9p2

Sorry to say this but, there's really no where to take this computer generally.

Don't upgrade the cpu to anything that will go in that motherboard, the best of which is the i7 4770k or 4790k I think, which is not worth your time to upgrade to.
If you want a quick and easy upgrade for gaming, a nice new low-mid end gpu like a gtx 1650 super or 1660 super would be a very nice upgrade, and won't be bottlenecked by your cpu most of the time.
Any higher on the gpu (say, a 2060 or the new 3060) would be bottlenecked by your cpu (Though, Might I suggest the fact that you can still buy those, a let them be bottlenecked, then upgrade the cpu and mobo in the future to "unlock" the card's full potential.)

Reactions: Dj0gany

toxicologyoverload

Commendable
Sep 29, 2018

Don't upgrade the cpu to anything that will go in that motherboard, the best of which is the i7 4770k or 4790k I think, which is not worth your time to upgrade to.
If you want a quick and easy upgrade for gaming, a nice new low-mid end gpu like a gtx 1650 super or 1660 super would be a very nice upgrade, and won't be bottlenecked by your cpu most of the time.
Any higher on the gpu (say, a 2060 or the new 3060) would be bottlenecked by your cpu (Though, Might I suggest the fact that you can still buy those, a let them be bottlenecked, then upgrade the cpu and mobo in the future to "unlock" the card's full potential.)

thanks for your reply and help :)
so you saying my best option is probably a GPU upgrade?
if I could get a i7 do you think it would make any difference?

Since it hasnt been asked, what do you use this pc for?
Approximate budget?
Do you live in US?
I agree with @siaan312, upgrading the cpu wouldnt be worth it, since you wont see many FPS imrovements with a i7 3770K lets say.
As a matter of fact, how much can you get the i7 3770K for?
And what cpu cooler do you have?
Having a i7 3770K and a Z77 opens up overclocking opportunities, which i personally love.
BUT i would still upgrade the GPU first.
Good thing you have somewhat of a decent psu, it can handle a 1660 super for example, which would be a really good 1080p for high settings 60 fps gaming.
Althought upgrading your psu might not be a bad idea, the unit you have is old and for future upgrades (besides the potential 1660 super )i wouldnt use it.
Something like a Seasonic FOCUS GX 650 is what i would be looking to get.

Reactions: Why_Me

LGA 1155, up to i7 3770K.
One generation off : )

thanks for your reply and help :)
so you saying my best option is probably a GPU upgrade?
if I could get a i7 do you think it would make any difference?
It would make a difference, but IMO I think it won't be big enough that it would be worth the 90-130$ an i7 3770k would cost. at that price you could get an i3 10100F and maybe even squeeze in a cheap motherboard, which would blow the pants off the old i7 (Though you would need new ram, and this is all assuming you are in the US an the i3 costs 80$ or so, and a cheap board costs around 40$)

If you want to upgrade your pc, but don't have the budget for it right now, I would suggest doing piecemeal, using parts you can swap out first

Firstly the gpu which would give you a nice boost in performance, then the psu, then maybe get an SSD which would make the entire system feel snappy, and after that the big platform (cpu, ram and mobo) move.
You also have a fairly modern case, so replacing it would only be cosmetic.

toxicologyoverload

Commendable
Sep 29, 2018
Since it hasnt been asked, what do you use this pc for?
Approximate budget?
Do you live in US?
I agree with @siaan312, upgrading the cpu wouldnt be worth it, since you wont see many FPS imrovements with a i7 3770K lets say.
As a matter of fact, how much can you get the i7 3770K for?
And what cpu cooler do you have?
Having a i7 3770K and a Z77 opens up overclocking opportunities, which i personally love.
BUT i would still upgrade the GPU first.
Good thing you have somewhat of a decent psu, it can handle a 1660 super for example, which would be a really good 1080p for high settings 60 fps gaming.
Althought upgrading your psu might not be a bad idea, the unit you have is old and for future upgrades (besides the potential 1660 super )i wouldnt use it.
Something like a Seasonic FOCUS GX 650 is what i would be looking to get.
Hello thanks for your response :),
I use it mostly for gaming.
I live in the UK.
I have set aside around £200 for upgrades.
I have seen a i7-3770k for around £150.

I have stock cooler currently, however my case does have 3 fans built in I don't know if that makes a difference xD

Hello thanks for your response :),
I use it mostly for gaming.
I live in the UK.
I have set aside around £200 for upgrades.
I have seen a i7-3770k for around £150.

I have stock cooler currently, however my case does have 3 fans built in I don't know if that makes a difference xD
150 pounds????
Absolutely not worth it.
Save up for the 1660 super.
Stock cooler wont help either.