[SOLVED] Help! Weird boot issues.

sirrodicus

Commendable
Nov 11, 2018
Since my computer was running 7 i upgraded to 10 today. However, I've been having weird boot issues. To simplify things, if I shut down my computer, wait about 5 mins, and turn it back on, everything is fine. However, if I restart the computer (I have to do this for driver updates) then getting it to boot again is difficult. First, it will boot to a black screen and my keyboard will light up; that's it, no cursor, nothing. Turn it off and on again, the keyboard starts turning on and off, and the fans and drives ramp up and down; it might go into Windows on the 5th or 6th cycle of this happening, it might not. Usually I have to turn it off and again about 4-5 times before it properly boots. Going into sleep mode doesn't cause any problems. If it helps, I have a core i5 4690k, asrock OC formula Z97m mobo, and a gtx 970.
Thanks for the replies!

Solution
When turning the PC off and on, does your PC go into repair mode. If so (or not) follow the prompts to the start up repair. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-startup-repair-fix-boot-problems-windows-10 Since this also occurred with Windows 7, it may not be repairable.

If that does not work than you may need a clean install. As mentioned, follow the instructions in the above link, which will wipe your hdd and do a clean install of Windows 10. You probably will not need the install media you bought from Amazon as Microsoft will usually let you upgrade for free (MS has your COA on file, so you don't need to start with windows 7 to upgrade); just click I don't have a COA when prompted during the install.

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Since my computer was running 7 i upgraded to 10 today. However, I've been having weird boot issues. To simplify things, if I shut down my computer, wait about 5 mins, and turn it back on, everything is fine. However, if I restart the computer (I have to do this for driver updates) then getting it to boot again is difficult. First, it will boot to a black screen and my keyboard will light up; that's it, no cursor, nothing. Turn it off and on again, the keyboard starts turning on and off, and the fans and drives ramp up and down; it might go into Windows on the 5th or 6th cycle of this happening, it might not. Usually I have to turn it off and again about 4-5 times before it properly boots. Going into sleep mode doesn't cause any problems. If it helps, I have a core i5 4690k, asrock OC formula Z97m mobo, and a gtx 970.
Thanks for the replies!
Have you clean installed?

sirrodicus

Commendable
Nov 11, 2018
Did you have the wierd issues with Windows 7 or did they just start when you upgraded to 10? When did the problem begin?
It mostly started with Windows 10. It happened twice before with 7, once randomly, the second time I had just downloaded a game from steam. However, the game was kinda acting buggy, when I exited the in game music kept playing, so I restarted my computer and the same thing happened.

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
When turning the PC off and on, does your PC go into repair mode. If so (or not) follow the prompts to the start up repair. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-startup-repair-fix-boot-problems-windows-10 Since this also occurred with Windows 7, it may not be repairable.

If that does not work than you may need a clean install. As mentioned, follow the instructions in the above link, which will wipe your hdd and do a clean install of Windows 10. You probably will not need the install media you bought from Amazon as Microsoft will usually let you upgrade for free (MS has your COA on file, so you don't need to start with windows 7 to upgrade); just click I don't have a COA when prompted during the install.

Reactions: sirrodicus
Solution
In case there's any doubt after the above posts, clean install means a formatted C: drive with nothing on it before starting the install. Before doing that though, you could check for corrupt files. Open an administrator command prompt and issue these two commands:
SFC /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth