Help: will I have to OC this DDR3 memory?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I just got the Fry's deal on the Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI 5.x, with an Intel i7 860 processor.
Here is a link to the Biostar motherboard: http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en%2Dus/t-series/introduction.php?S_ID=445

I am trying to figure out what best memory to get. I thought I had it right after searching and asking here. It was suggested that I get this memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303 Here is a link to the memory makers website for the memory: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=243 So I purchased this memory (probably will ship tomorrow)

In the Gskill site the memory speed I ordered is listed as: DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800). More specs in the above links.

The mother boards memory specs are:
Support Dual Channel DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600(OC)/1866(OC)/2000(OC) MHz
4 x DDR3 DIMM Memory Slot
Max. Supports up to 16GB Memory

But in another thread here I was told that this Gskill memory I just ordered is for Overclocking. I am not wanting to Overclock my system AT ALL really. I am building a home workstation for CS4 and light AutoCAD and Rhino. I want it as stable as electronically possible. I want to focus on using and learning applications, not tweaking my system outside of typical specs specs that will make it run as cool and stable as possible.

Does the 1600(OC) mean that it would have to be run overclocked? I just want super stable and coolest temperature running. Would I be better off getting a different memory if I want stable and coolest running possible?

Please help me get a grip on this. I'm really feeling that getting the right memory is key having a good build after all that I've read about people having trouble because of the memory they've installed. Will certain DDR3 memory specifications make your entire system run cooler and more stable?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
As you can see I'm a bit unfamiliar with all this. And I have started a few posts here in the Memory forum. But one or two of the other threads I started, some are saying that 1600 RAM is ran OCed.

OK, but please answer me this. Would this RAM be the coolest running RAM I could purchase for my system, or would a RAM with different specs provide cooler running?

I really want my system to run as cool as possible prior to having to add extra cooling measures like fans or aftermarket heatsinks.

You have nothing to worry about, if those ripjaws are on the boards QVL (compatability) list then you are fine, nevermind the overclocking nonsense, just make sure you set the correct timings and voltages and you will be fine.

PS: The ripjaws do not run hot at rated speeds. On the contrary, they stay pretty cool.

Just to answer your OC question, yes the can be overclocked but since you will not see any difference in speed there is no point. Timings is the most important factor when buying RAM, the lower the better.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

No not on the list. The Biostar list I believe is incomplete. I've been unable to find any of the model number RAM that is on the Biostar list for this motherboard that i have. I was told by another member here that first recommended them that they'd be fine to just set the timing. But when I someone posted that they would be OC'd, I thought that might not be a good thing for what I wanted.

From a few responses by others it sounds like the Ripjaw RAM is thought to be good stuff. Sorry when I hear overclocking heat and bring the system to the edge of instability comes to mind. I'm seeking just the opposite.

Thanks for your input.

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Here is a list of the Boards that the Gskill has tested the RAM with:
ASRock P55 Deluxe
ASRock P55 Extreme
ASUS Maximus III Formula
ASUS Maximus III Gene
ASUS SABERTOOTH 55i
ASUS P7P55D Premium
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
ASUS P7P55D EVO
ASUS P7P55D Pro
ASUS P7P55D
Biostar TP55
Biostar Tpower i55
EVGA P55 Classified 200
EVGA P55 FTW 200
EVGA P55 FTW
EVGA P55
EVGA P55 Micro
EVGA P55 LE
MSI P55M-GD45
MSI P55-GD65
MSI P55-GD80
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3P
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD3R
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD4
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD4P
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD5
Gigabyte GA-P55 UD6

One promising thing is that they have tested it with to Biostar T-series boards. And they seem to market as P55 specific RAM. We'll see I guess, since it has already been shipped, should get it in the next day or so.

What they mean by overclocking (I assume) is that to reach 1600MHz, you would have to OC the processor. I know this is true for the i5 750, not sure for the 860. That said, just because the ram is rated at 1600MHz does not mean you have to run it that fast. At lower speeds you can use lower voltage and thus less heat. Also, don't worry too much about the QVL. There are too many modules out there to test them all, so sometimes some get left out. Normally they will still work fine.