Help with baffling error message! Please!

jse26

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I just finished my first home build last week. Everything went amazingly well--no issues on powerup and the computer has been running fine up until this weekend when I installed my wireless network card (I believe that's when the trouble started). Now when I turn the computer on I get a "PCI Vendor and Device ID Do Not Match!" error. The computer will still boot up just fine but I don't like seeing the error message and am afraid that something behind the scense may not be working that I haven't identified yet.

Any ideas on what may have caused this error or how to troubleshoot it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Intel e6600
Gigabyte DS-3 MB
2 GB Crucial Ballistix Memory
Netgear Wireless Card
MSI x1900xtx

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
take this [ PCI Vendor and Device ID Do Not Match ]

go to google.com and do a search. I already tried it and it gives you a long list of possibilities.

being that you didn't take the time to list all the components in your computer... my guess would be to throw it out the window and start over. :twisted:

jse26

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Thanks for the help :roll: . I already did a google search and wasn't able to find anything that helped. I was hoping to get some more specific help on the forum (i.e. common causes of the problem, best ways to debug, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first build and would appreciate any help at all. Thanks!

Complete List o' Parts:

Intel e6600
2gigs Crucial Ballistix (pc2 6400)
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
Antec SmartPower 500w Modular PS
MSI RX1900XTX-VT2D512E Graphics Card
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Seagate 400gb SATA harddrive (16mb buffer)
Sony DRU800A Dual Layer DVD Burner
Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG3111 v3

Running everything at stock speeds, no overclocking.

Anything else I'm missing?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Thanks for the help :roll: . I already did a google search and wasn't able to find anything that helped. I was hoping to get some more specific help on the forum (i.e. common causes of the problem, best ways to debug, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first build and would appreciate any help at all. Thanks!

Complete List o' Parts:

Intel e6600
2gigs Crucial Ballistix (pc2 6400)
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
Antec SmartPower 500w Modular PS
MSI RX1900XTX-VT2D512E Graphics Card
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Seagate 400gb SATA harddrive (16mb buffer)
Sony DRU800A Dual Layer DVD Burner
Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG3111 v3

Running everything at stock speeds, no overclocking.

Anything else I'm missing?

I'll make a WAG...

Netgear may have re-badged another mfg's wifi card. Then in an attempt to make it more 'theirs', they hacked the driver to add themselves as the mfg of the driver.

To check this... Open up a command prompt, do a ipconfig /all. Should show you the mac address of the device. The first three octets (I think, been a year or three since I hacked mac addresses) refer to the manufacturer. A little googling will show you something about all of the above...

Then check the device in your device manager. What your MAC address shows should match what your driver's provider details show.

If my WAG is wrong, then oh well... Two choices. Does the WIFI card work? Yes? Keep it and live with the error msg. No toss it.

A third choice... Error msg is so obnoxious to you, go with choice two above.

If my WAG is right then it MIGHT be possible to hack the .inf.... Or to get the correct driver from the real manufacturer.