No_Tone

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Well I have a RAID 0 and installed Windows and everything went perfect. But then I added a new hard drive and now the IDE hard drive is given C and my RAID is given D so Windows is looking at C for my system files but it's in D. Someone tell me why the IDE drive is given a drive letter before the RAID or how I can change the drive letters in MS-DOS. Thanks!

No_Tone

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I have a IDE RAID card plugged into a PCI and I have 2 hard drives connected to the controller. And my new hard drive is a primary master drive. I also have a DVD and CDRW on my secondaries.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Easy fix. Go into Fdisk and re-partition the drive as an extended partition w/ a logical dos drive. Just don't make it a Primary Partition and it should be fine.

G

Most BIOSs have an option to change the drive that the system boots from - normally C:, the primary drive on the 1st IDE channel (eg, most BIOSs allow this to be changed to A: to boot from floppy, CDROM to boot from CD, SCSI to boot from SCSI disks, etc). Have you tried to change this to D: (or whatever letter is being assigned to the raid array), or EXT (external adapter, such as your raid controller)? Some motherboards have an additional option to specify what EXT means (on my Abit BP6, I can set it to the on-board HPT UDMA66 adapter, or SCSI/additional adapter card).

By the way, I don't think there is a permanant way to change the drive letters for your system drive in software, it's down to BIOS settings/hardware configuration.