playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
So, before I explain this issue, I will restate my build (though it is still currently as it appears in my signature below).

I have an, essentially, brand new PC that rocks with:

ASUS ROG Crosshair HERO VIII WIFI Motherboard,
Ryzen 7 3800x CPU,
RTX 2080 Super,
RM850x PSU.

My CPU is cooled by the corsair H100i watercooler and my GPU is an EVGA Hybrid so it too is liquid cooled. I have 16GB of RAM at 3600Mhz. So here is the thing. With all of the controversy about Ryzen 3000 not reaching advertised boost clocks I decided to see if i had that problem. I did. So, naturally I looked for a new BIOS revision ion my MOBO website.

I found an update to version 1001 and low and behold now my CPU was hitting the advertised 4.5Ghz!! Success right? Not quite. Looking past the obvious increase in temperatures, the more glaring issue was that, using the same BIOS settings that I had with the previous revision and applying all of the same applications during my daily use...I am not now getting crashes.

Sometimes games like BFV will simply crash to desktop and other times, like just recently, my PC will randomly shut off and restart. This NEVER happened with BIOS 803. In my BIOS the only things that are not stock defaults are as follows...I have my ram set into an XMP profile because I was told it was better that way, I have my performance bias set to Level 3 OC (note: i do not know what this does and can not notice a performance difference. It just sounded like a performance boost). More importantly though, these settings were totally stable in the last update. The weirdest part is that crashes are MOST common when engaging the precision boost overdrive using Ryzen Master...but that is also the only way to really see the better boost clocks in game. So I have reached somewhat of an impasse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
If you could run your PC after the BIOS update, then it's not the BIOS. Most likely it's an overclock setting or two. Try running everything on defaults and see what happens.

Although what RAM are you running? Did you buy it all at once or did you purchase separate kits? Because if you purchase separate kits that could cause instability when running XMP.

g-unit1111

Titan
If you could run your PC after the BIOS update, then it's not the BIOS. Most likely it's an overclock setting or two. Try running everything on defaults and see what happens.

Although what RAM are you running? Did you buy it all at once or did you purchase separate kits? Because if you purchase separate kits that could cause instability when running XMP.

Solution

playstation1868

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018

not talking about previous bios. the current bios, does stock setting work?

thing about overclocking, it is not guarantee.
you can go back to the old bios or wait for asus to fix whatever

It is a two stick kit of 3600Mhz Gskill Trident RAM. It has always been fine for me. And I did not manually OC anything. I just used some easy settings in the BIOS that force the chip to run in boost mode for longer.

rainspit

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
My computer started having issues right after the bios update also CPU 3800x memory trident z 3600 16gb 14 15 15 35. The mouse stutters and systems lags badly. I also get kicked out of games. I reinstalled windows hoping for a fix with no success. I reset bios to stock settings and nothing but issues. I might try to find a downgrade.

Oct 21, 2019
Manual overclock was the trick for me. For some reason BFV crashes randomly for me with precision boost overdrive enabled. I can manual overclock to close to boost ranges and still keep the processor running under 70 degrees C at full load.